Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Everything was getting blown up.
From up the gut to screens to anything.

Reaction Score
Im intrigued when folks argue in the face of reality. The outcome speaks for itself and proves you're reasoning is flawed, unless you're contention is we couldn't beat Temple under any circumstance.

I'll leave out the three lines where you try to establish that Boyle is something he isn't.

The outcome does not speak for itself. The result using one approach does not prove that another approach would have been more or less successful.

Reaction Score
I will go on record as saying I like Verducci's offense. We just need players who can consistently catch the ball.

One thought that crossed my mind after seeing Carrezola catch a pass, was why not switch him over to offense next year? I think he can be a physical presence in the run game, and he is athletic. We need better, more consistent play from the TE position and Luke could be just what is needed. Stapleton has come on in recent weeks at OLB and could slide in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I will go on record as saying I like Verducci's offense. We just need players who can consistently catch the ball.

One thought that crossed my mind after seeing Carrezola catch a pass, was why not switch him over to offense next year? I think he can be a physical presence in the run game, and he is athletic. We need better, more consistent play from the TE position and Luke could be just what is needed. Stapleton has come on in recent weeks at OLB and could slide in.

I liked what I saw from "Uncle Luke" on that play, but I think he is just too dynamic of a defensive player for a switch to be made. We also have Myers coming back from injury and transfer Billy Williams waiting in the wings to be added into the mix.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
I liked what I saw from "Uncle Luke" on that play, but I think he is just too dynamic of a defensive player for a switch to be made. We also have Myers coming back from injury and transfer Billy Williams waiting in the wings to be added into the mix.

I know, future is bright for Luke. Love his intensity. Just getting sick of the numerous drops and poor blocking from the tight end position.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I know, future is bright for Luke. Love his intensity. Just getting sick of the numerous drops and poor blocking from the tight end position.

The extra practices will do them a world of good. Not just Bloom, but Williams the young TEs like Lee, Holman, Parker, and Campbell. I'm really hoping that one of those true frosh can emerge as a capable backup, something we sorely lacked this year.

It'd also be outstanding if the staff could get Ryan Griffin to come up and work out with them in the spring. Probably a long shot though.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
The extra practices will do them a world of good. Not just Bloom, but Williams the young TEs like Lee, Holman, Parker, and Campbell. I'm really hoping that one of those true frosh can emerge as a capable backup, something we sorely lacked this year.

It'd also be outstanding if the staff could get Ryan Griffin to come up and work out with them in the spring. Probably a long shot though.

Bloom should catch 100 balls from a jugs machine a day in the offseason. His size causes great mismatches, and he has improved immensely using his body to shield defender. He just needs to increase his catch rate. He can be a star in this offense.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Bloom should catch 100 balls from a jugs machine a day in the offseason. His size causes great mismatches, and he has improved immensely using his body to shield defender. He just needs to increase his catch rate. He can be a star in this offense.

His performance during USF game was absolutely tantalizing. Bloom with improved hands + Thomas gives Bryant a really formidable combo to work with.

Reaction Score
buddy said:
I like the post, but fact is they play in much more difficult leagues. What would UConn's record have been in the ACC or B1G this year? Believe me, I hate them, but I don't think UConn fans can mock those guys....yet. They won the lottery. Especially Rutgers.

Ask Nostical. We could play with OSU if the coaches just got their act together.

Reaction Score
Unlike Edsall, we have not produced 3-4-5 RBs at a time. Edsall seemed to just pull productive guys off the bench and have a good eye for lots of RBs. I am thinking Caulley - Brockington - Bellamy - Brown - Dixon - Todman - Frey (and others). Then, PP has just McCown. I wish Newsome was paired with a more productive Johnson. (or any one of a more 200lb guy)

That's recruiting and evaluation that PP failed in ... and we haven't seen Diaco succeed.

WRs? I think we have more talent today than a few years ago. QB? I am hopeful with Tyler Davis and the two prospective signees and Bryant Shireff.

OLine? Who knows.

TE? Interesting take on Carrezola. HOWEVER ... we have a lot of investment in Myers, Bloom and 3 FR and Williams. UConn has clearly been able to find 6-5+ guys in NE or wherever and make them solid TEs. Danny Murray, Steve Brouse, Ryan Griffin etc. I think Carrezola is rightly at Edge DE

This has to get better. And I think we have coaches that can accomplish this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LMAO. No one said we couldn't beat Temple under "any" circumstances. What people are saying is coaches couldn't change anything sufficiently that we could beat Temple on a day when our OL couldn't get anything done.

This isn't video game football. What players do is more important than what plays you call.

Please check your own BS. The relevant circumstance was game day, and "circumstance" is quite simply intended and understood to mean under any plausible set of conditions for the day on which the game was played. By quoting "any" and asserting it applies to the entirety of the time continuum is transparently misleading and argumentative for the sake of propping up your own mistaken arguments. Unless I can't read, your statement "What people are saying is coaches couldn't change anything sufficiently that we could beat Temple on a day when our OL couldn't get anything done" is a statement best encapsulated by "we couldn't beat Temple that day under any circumstance, with our personnel under any scheme." Classically, you refer to what "others say" as if to give your view more import than it substantively deserves and disassociate yourself from a ludicrous proposition. Unless your contention is we could not beat Temple under any circumstance that day, which is precisely where we started.

What anyone with a decent amount of actual football experience knows is scheme does matter and you find ways to play to exploit things either through your strength, the opponent's weakness or by changing pattern. Temple was prepared for precisely what we brought to the table, and they teed-off on it. AK did not suddenly become a poor runner with no vision. They were attacking the gaps with reckless abandon because they knew we were terrified to throw. When we did throw we were behind the chains and they came after us. Boyle can't read past a 1st or maybe second option and cant read coverage well. You need to be throwing early in the series when the DBs and LBs have to play honestly against the run. There was nothing to lose that day except a chance to win, and that's what they threw away because they feared turnovers more than losing and ended up doing just that.

Reaction Score
So ...

Despite all we've seen from Boyle. Lots of plays. And considering we had success the week before against Houston with a strategy, YOUR plan is to let Tim Boyle become the crazed bomber.
Did it matter that we didn't?

Reaction Score
Please check your own BS. The relevant circumstance was game day, and "circumstance" is quite simply intended and understood to mean under any plausible set of conditions for the day on which the game was played. By quoting "any" and asserting it applies to the entirety of the time continuum is transparently misleading and argumentative for the sake of propping up your own mistaken arguments. Unless I can't read, your statement "What people are saying is coaches couldn't change anything sufficiently that we could beat Temple on a day when our OL couldn't get anything done" is a statement best encapsulated by "we couldn't beat Temple that day under any circumstance, with our personnel under any scheme." Classically, you refer to what "others say" as if to give your view more import than it substantively deserves and disassociate yourself from a ludicrous proposition. Unless your contention is we could not beat Temple under any circumstance that day, which is precisely where we started.

What anyone with a decent amount of actual football experience knows is scheme does matter and you find ways to play to exploit things either through your strength, the opponent's weakness or by changing pattern. Temple was prepared for precisely what we brought to the table, and they teed-off on it. AK did not suddenly become a poor runner with no vision. They were attacking the gaps with reckless abandon because they knew we were terrified to throw. When we did throw we were behind the chains and they came after us. Boyle can't read past a 1st or maybe second option and cant read coverage well. You need to be throwing early in the series when the DBs and LBs have to play honestly against the run. There was nothing to lose that day except a chance to win, and that's what they threw away because they feared turnovers more than losing and ended up doing just that.

We just won against a good Houston team. And we won with Ball Security ... and good defensive coverage with 4 turnovers ... and luck. You are advocating Tim Boyle throwing early - first and second downs - and getting the ball in the air to counter what Temple was expecting.

Watching the game ... early on: we did try numerous different schemes. I don't know about you. But I saw Boyle come in for a few plays; I saw Noel Thomas run the wildcat; I saw Garret Anderson throw a few times and run. Maybe this was half-assed; but, the OC tried to throw something different at Temple early.

At 10-0 halftime with the ball, they thought they had the makings of a Win. Things went wrong.

Reaction Score

We have transfer Billy Williams available at TE next season. He's a kid who excelled in Verducci's system at N. Iowa... I'm hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised when he's eligible to play...

Keep Carrezola on Defense...

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-fan-view-temple-1130-20151129-story.html

I see the line. We are either ... give Boyle the ability to make plays CAMP or not Boyle because he has not ever shown he can produce CAMP.

I have seen his past performance (and unlike Diaco who has seen hours and hours of practice reps). My take is you don't want to put this Game on Boyle. We tried gimmicks frankly. And when the game was still close (early 2nd half), we turtle'd up to see if we could get some short fields with turnovers. That was it. And I wouldn't think twice on Boyle.

Reaction Score
There were at least 2 that I recall. Boyle put one screen throw between the numbers of a defensive lineman, the other one was a center screen that didn't do much.
Actually, he hit a long gainer on a middle screen to Mariner. And the ball that hit the LB wasn't a screen as the player was past the LOS.

Sorry to interrupt your hatefest with facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom