Shaka Smart | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shaka Smart

Reaction Score
Tournament record? It's not hard to have a great tournament record when you win it all ( with players from a previous coach and assistants with decades of head coaching experience) and then only make the tournament once after that in 4 years. The lengths that some of you will go to to try to prop up KO amazes me.

You can't really believe that tournament record is a fair basis to judge a coach who didn't even make the NIT in his last 2 seasons and won 1 tournament game in his last 4 seasons.

Ollie sucks. Shaka sucks as much as he does.

Reaction Score
This is too rich

Partially quoting something to take it out of context is a scumbag move, but since it's all you've got, go right ahead.

And by the way, how is that fantasy of yours with KO coaching UConn next season looking?

Reaction Score
Idk if all his wins will come at Texas, if he's fired though, he'll get a chance somewhere else.

Yes, maybe. At Norfolk State, or William and Mary, maybe James Madison.

Reaction Score
Partially quoting something to take it out of context is a scumbag move, but since it's all you've got, go right ahead.

And by the way, how is that fantasy of yours with KO coaching UConn next season looking?
What was out of context? I thought it was pretty obvious i was highlighting the lengths that some people will go to trash KO.

And to confirm, I am perfectly aware that Kevin Ollie will not be our coach next season.

Reaction Score
Adams is UConns best player. Who are you thinking of that's even close?
I love Adams, I think he's our best player, but there is no way to know that AG is not a better player than him. Unfortunately.

Not to mention "better" and "best" are totally subjective terms.

Reaction Score
Do you argue with yourself when the internet is out?
I think JA is our best player but it is conceivable that someone could debate AG is. What's the problem?

Reaction Score
Pearl hasn't been the coach for Tennessee for a while. Depending on the FBI/NCAA probe, he might not be coaching Auburn for very long.
FBI probe? It’s going to end like the Carolina probe. Nothing.

Reaction Score
I think recruiting based on regions is over stated. This is not horse and buggy times of 130 years ago or whatever. We live in a global society and as far as recruiting are just talking about one country for the most part. Cell phones, low cost airlines, etc. Make it super easy to form connections regardless of where you are. If you are a good coach, you are a good coach. You will form connections almost instantly if needed. Regional exp. Is so low in regards to importance when hiring a new coach. Most of them travel all around the country and know each other any ways now adays. Xs and Os, coaching exp. Passion are more important.
For UConn JC changed the recruiting strategy. He no longer focused his efforts locally and went national. It worked out pretty well.

Reaction Score
I don't really think that's true.
It's very true.
The similarities are eerie - both had very substantial early success. Both then faltered. Both ended up the last two seasons putting a s-----t product on the court, notwithstanding solid recruiting efforts. Bottom line - neither one is a particularly good coach. Ollie is lousy. Smart appears lousy. Don't want another Ollie, and Smart appears to fit that mold, to the T.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The argument against Shaka is simple: Rick Barnes has Tennessee as a 3 seed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why the hell is there a Shaka Smart thread? He’s not coming here. He’s not even leaving UT. It’s pointless.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why the hell is there a Shaka Smart thread? He’s not coming here. He’s not even leaving UT. It’s pointless.

It’s all completely unverified, but I have heard that Louisville is interested in him.

Reaction Score
It's very true.
The similarities are eerie - both had very substantial early success. Both then faltered. Both ended up the last two seasons putting a s-----t product on the court, notwithstanding solid recruiting efforts. Bottom line - neither one is a particularly good coach. Ollie is lousy. Smart appears lousy. Don't want another Ollie, and Smart appears to fit that mold, to the T.
Smart transitioned teams and has still made the NCAAT 2/3 years from a much better conference despite injuries. He may end up being "lousy," but that ain't definite yet.

Reaction Score
Pearl hasn't been the coach for Tennessee for a while. Depending on the FBI/NCAA probe, he might not be coaching Auburn for very long.

Ha. Brain fart. Was conflating Auburn and Tennessee. What’s odd is how he went from Tennessee to Auburn. The SEC doesn’t care who you hire. Cheat at one school, just go try again at another within the same conference and no one batts an eye.

Reaction Score
Smart has struggled a bit but I think he's a decent coach. Eventually these schools, and their coaching candidates, will learn that local recruiting ties matter.

Reaction Score
After what we've seen at Texas (50-49 over the last three years, 2 NCAA tournaments), would you guys still want him?

Heck yeah I would. Come on, let's be real. Shaka Smart is a great coach. He just made the poor decision to go to a school that is always FB first and was in an area where he doesn't have as strong recruiting roots.

Reaction Score
Heck yeah I would. Come on, let's be real. Shaka Smart is a great coach. He just made the poor decision to go to a school that is always FB first and was in an area where he doesn't have as strong recruiting roots.
He recruits fine. His record stinks. He did a great job at VCU but has underachieved mightily at Texas I don't even think that's debatable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom