Shabazz with Trailblazers | The Boneyard

Shabazz with Trailblazers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has 8 points at the half in their first preseason game. Limited action.

He'll really have to make an impression to see much time this year as he seems to be their 4th string at point. He really deserves a chance to grow into a pro with a team, seems crazy how little opportunity he's had with Miami and Orlando this far.

Reaction Score
Portland is a good situation for him. He gets to play with 2 guards who are great offensively without relying too heavily on athleticism. Hopefully the game slows down for him this year, because when Shabazz controls the tempo he really shines.

Obviously, he faces an uphill battle, but I would never count this kid out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Shabazz can't play defense in the NBA which is his issue... People stay in the NBA if they can play defense, unless you're James Harden.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I haven't been able to see him play that much. The low playing time combined with the lack of TV availability makes it hard to see. But the defense issue makes a lot of sense from what I've seen so far. I don't think that's something that can't be improved though. Size is an obstacle, but it's been overcome by many guards in the past who are his size or shorter.

Reaction Score
"I like his aggressiveness; he's a dog," McCollum praised his new teammate. "Defensively, he'll attack you. Offensively, he'll attack you. In pick-and-rolls, he's smart. He's a good passer. He's just got that winning pedigree coming from UConn. I like his personality, his work ethic and his approach to the game."

Reaction Score
Maybe being touted by LBJ and drafted by Miami was a BAD thing.:(:(

It definitely didn't help that James was the biggest factor in him being drafted by Miami and then he bolted that summer. Hard to say that it had a real negative impact, though. Arguably he may have ended up playing even less on a Miami team that was Finals bound.

Reaction Score
Shabazz can't play defense in the NBA which is his issue... People stay in the NBA if they can play defense, unless you're James Harden.

Defense has certainly been an issue but he's also lacked confidence in his jumper, the swagger just hasn't been there. Bazz vs a big in a pick & roll switch used to be certain death but alot of the times the past 2 years I've seen Bazz either pass off or look hesitant to pull the trigger for that pull up jumper against a big. I'm not expecting Bazz to be UConn Bazz in the NBA but I think there's a place for him in the league if he finds his confidence. He looked the part last night but then again it is only preseason.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Completely disagree with the statement that he can't play defense
He can but the physical elements makes it much harder on him
He played against pro quality guards many times in the college BUT in the NBA is man v man and the guards he sees every night are usually bigger and stronger
His senior year at UConn was/is legendary and I really hope that Bazz can make it - Europe would be a huge payday
Unfortunately for him, he is trying to stay with a team that has the highest payroll in the NBA - paying guys like Moe Harkless and Meyers Leonard $9MM p/y
Bazz is due $1.3MM this year and everything beyond 16/17 is team option
I want him to succeed

Reaction Score
I watched some of the game last night and it actually took me a few seconds to realize Bazz was on the court -- he actually looks like a different player than in past seasons (in a good way!). Portland is the ideal place for him because of the beforementioned two-guard lineup they roll with. He's technically the only backup PG so they need him depth-wise -- but he was playing at the same time as Lillard which is a very good sign if that's how they plan on using him.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I know deep down Pat Riley prematurely traded Bazz to Orlando for peanuts as a power move. He didn't like being flexed into drafting a guy he didn't want initially by Lebron who ended up burning them so he got rid of him to make sure it was only a roster of "his guys". Everything I've heard about Pat Riley makes it seem like he's the type to pull that.

Reaction Score
Bazz simply hasn't be good enough to date and didn't deserve to stick in the NBA. He can be a lot better and maybe Portland will be a team where he can impress.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Completely disagree with the statement that he can't play defense
He can but the physical elements makes it much harder on him
He played against pro quality guards many times in the college BUT in the NBA is man v man and the guards he sees every night are usually bigger and stronger

His senior year at UConn was/is legendary and I really hope that Bazz can make it - Europe would be a huge payday
Unfortunately for him, he is trying to stay with a team that has the highest payroll in the NBA - paying guys like Moe Harkless and Meyers Leonard $9MM p/y
Bazz is due $1.3MM this year and everything beyond 16/17 is team option
I want him to succeed

You realize this means he can't play defense? He isn't strong enough to play defense then he can't play defense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You realize this means he can't play defense? He isn't strong enough to play defense then he can't play defense.
Disagree with can't

Reaction Score
Defense has certainly been an issue but he's also lacked confidence in his jumper, the swagger just hasn't been there. Bazz vs a big in a pick & roll switch used to be certain death but alot of the times the past 2 years I've seen Bazz either pass off or look hesitant to pull the trigger for that pull up jumper against a big. I'm not expecting Bazz to be UConn Bazz in the NBA but I think there's a place for him in the league if he finds his confidence. He looked the part last night but then again it is only preseason.
I watched him quite a bit but not regularly and it looked like someone took over his body and it wasn't that self-assured, confident leader we grew accustomed to. He just was like a passing machine 35 feet from the hoop that NEVER looked for his shot. Maybe Skiles or whomever was coach mandated this but it was UGLY. I love Bazz and think he needs right situation and maybe a guards' team like this will be it. To me, he can absolutely play in the NBA, just has to be confident to play through mistakes!! Go Bazz!!!!

Reaction Score
Some quotes from that article...

"My resume in this league is not good at all," said Napier, who averaged 3.7 points, 1.8 assists and 10.8 minutes with the Magic last season. "So I can't worry (like), 'There's minutes up in the air so I gotta do this or I gotta do that.' I just gotta play my game. I gotta be a floor general and be the best player I can be on that day."

Napier said he's leaned on the Blazers assistant coaches as well as Lillard and McCollum as he tries to learn coach Terry Stotts' system. Stotts said he's noticed early on that Napier is a fiery and effective defender.

"You see it every possession," Stotts said. "When he's out there ... he competes every possession. He takes the challenge of guarding Dame and CJ and competes against them."

That is what I'm talking about. Go Bazz. Play YOUR Game!!!!

Shabazz Napier impresses Trail Blazers with his competitiveness

Reaction Score
Would love to see him get an extended opportunity. Was such a good long range shooter for us, wonder why it hasn't translated to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Would love to see him get an extended opportunity. Was such a good long range shooter for us, wonder why it hasn't translated to the NBA.
Small stature and limited athleticism makes it tough to get good looks over taller defenders. Very smart player though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom