SF V.J. King (Louisville Commit) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

SF V.J. King (Louisville Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stairmaster, I apologize if I was unclear about my APR position - I think good grades are dandy - but there are some posters who seem to do backflips when we get a 1,000 APR - for me I don't think that's the critical goal for the team - have a safe APR - there will be some guys who are sincere students with academic curiosity and that's wonderful - but yes call it old school - I love the guy who is thrilled to have the keys to the gym rather than the library!

Part of what makes you such a raging moron is that you completely misunderstand the APR while beating the same drum day after day after day.

You can recruit 13 coconuts and still maintain a 1000 APR - UConn's recruiting isn't impacted in the slightest by the APR.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Let's try to get this VJ King thread back on track...

I have full trust in KO, but I really hope this guy's a lights-out shooter. He just doesn't give off that elite athlete vibe.

Reaction Score
Also, just for the record, one of my most controversial posts was that Emeka should spend more time practicing free throws and less time studying. But seriously I get it - Emeka was a great representative of our program. He also was more practical and down to earth than some give him credit for.

Just for the record, I remember that post and laughed my ass off at you because you proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you had no idea what you were talking about. I was a member of the horde back then with full media access and several very close ties to the team. I personally saw Emeka stay after practice every day to work on free throws and he would also go back to the gym late at night quite often with team managers feeding him the ball.

He spent a LOT of time working on his free throws. Clearly anyone who spent ANY time around the team at the time knew this. I was there first hand and I can prove I was. You are 100% full of crap.

Reaction Score
Folks telling folks they are full of crap, or idiots, etc. Probably true, but what the hell is Kings status? Isn't that what this thread should be limited to.

Reaction Score
Of the bits and pieces I have collected about the visit it is nothing wild and or unusual. Heard king liked coach etc, but the only concern I heard was play time. (Take with a grain of salt)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Folks telling folks they are full of crap, or idiots, etc. Probably true, but what the hell is Kings status? Isn't that what this thread should be limited to.
Yep!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Of the bits and pieces I have collected about the visit it is nothing wild and or unusual. Heard king liked coach etc, but the only concern I heard was play time. (Take with a grain of salt)
If he ends up at Ville than what you have heard is spin by King.

Reaction Score

That seems like a weird concern. Even if Purvis stays, King is probably a starter next year for us, or a 25+mpg sixth man at the very least.

caw

Reaction Score
That seems like a weird concern. Even if Purvis stays, King is probably a starter next year for us, or a 25+mpg sixth man at the very least.

All depends on what he's looking at. I mean hes a 2/3.

Jr - Hamilton
RS Jr - Larrier
RS Sr - Purvis
RS Sr - Cassell

If no one leaves. I doubt anyone believes that is the case, but versus ULs current roster:

So - Mitchell
So - Adel
So - McMahon

Who would you rather compete against? Now it's likely at least one of Purvis/Hamilton leave, but...I can see that being a concern.

Equation changes a lot of Maverick Rowan reclassifies and chooses UL.

That being said, if he doesn't think he's a one and done and everyone stays UConn has a ton of PT opening up his sophomore year, just barrels.

Reaction Score

Jr - Hamilton
RS Jr - Larrier
RS Sr - Purvis
RS Sr - Cassell

If no one leaves. I doubt anyone believes that is the case, but versus ULs current roster:

So - Mitchell
So - Adel
So - McMahon

Who would you rather compete against? Now it's likely at least one of Purvis/Hamilton leave, but...I can see that being a concern.

That being said, if he doesn't think he's a one and done and everyone stays UConn has a ton of PT opening up his sophomore year, just barrels.

Looking at it I think it be in our favor by a slim margin, I don't see it as much of a possibility that Dham is still here. Cassell maybe gets a few minutes a game at the 2, purvis starts at 2, and king splits with larrier at the 3 with probably at least 10 minutes a game with both on the floor with larrier at the 4.

I can't see adel or king playing the 4 which leave them in a straight competition for minutes. Although neither mcmahon or mitchell would see much time at the 3, mcmahons a point so he wouldn't see any. I just think it to close to say playing time will lean him one way or the other. I still think he's going to the Louisville but I don;t think PT will be the main reason.

Reaction Score

Jr - Hamilton
RS Jr - Larrier
RS Sr - Purvis
RS Sr - Cassell

So - Mitchell
So - Adel
So - McMahon

You're right about Hamilton staying, then the minutes would be a concern for any incoming wing.

Just seems to me, given everything we've heard about Hamilton, this is his year to show what he can do in prep for the draft.

Reaction Score
I think we'll all be surprised if Hamilton comes back for his junior year. I'm pretty sure that the staff and the players have made it clear to King that it is highly unlikely he would be competing with Hamilton for minutes.

My feeling on King and Larrier together is that both can play 2-3 positions and both will. So minutes will not be an issue. Larrier can definitely play 4 in our system. King is talented enough to play 1-4 at times.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but you can see why he would have some concerns/things to think about.

I think we'll all be surprised if Hamilton comes back for his junior year. I'm pretty sure that the staff and the players have made it clear to King that it is highly unlikely he would be competing with Hamilton for minutes.

My feeling on King and Larrier together is that both can play 2-3 positions and both will. So minutes will not be an issue. Larrier can definitely play 4 in our system. King is talented enough to play 1-4 at times.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Agreed with it all. Hamilton seems like he's gone if he improves but regardless King seems like he can play 1-4 so worrying about time shouldn't be a problem. Especially at the two. Even if diallo and King come they would all get a lot of time

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
*sigh* ok I believe his parents/coaches want him at UL. Obviously I think king Is an animal

Reaction Score
*sigh* ok I believe his parents/coaches want him at UL. Obviously I think king Is an animal

Louisville's main recruiter is Kenny Johnson. He used to coach at Paul VI high school and was a director and coach with the Team Takeover AAU program. VJ King goes to Paul VI and plays for Team Takeover. There's your connection. It's not a "handler" issue.

Reaction Score

Jr - Hamilton
RS Jr - Larrier
RS Sr - Purvis
RS Sr - Cassell

So - Mitchell
So - Adel
So - McMahon

Actually Larrier would be a RS sophomore next year.

Reaction Score

Jr - Hamilton
RS Jr - Larrier
RS Sr - Purvis
RS Sr - Cassell

So - Mitchell
So - Adel
So - McMahon

If we land Gilbert as well, him and Adams will likely be playing minutes at the 2 also.

That brings us to Adams, Gilbert, Purvis, King, Cassell, Larrier (Hamilton is gonezo) fighting for 120 minutes for the 1-3 positions. Yes, I get that Larrier can play the 4, but Enoch will be more developed and a much improved sophomore and Facey will be a senior. Also, the raw Diarra plays the 4 as well. Because of that I don't see Larrier playing the 4 that much. Also, Larrier needs to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle before we can play him at the 4, IMO.

Hypothetical:
Adams - 25-30
Gilbert - 20-25
Purvis - 25-30
King - 20-25
Cassell - 5
Larrier - 20-25 (20 min from the 3, 5 min at the 4)

Reaction Score
If we land Gilbert as well, him and Adams will likely be playing minutes at the 2 also.

That brings us to Adams, Gilbert, Purvis, King, Cassell, Larrier (Hamilton is gonezo) fighting for 120 minutes for the 1-3 positions. Yes, I get that Larrier can play the 4, but Enoch will be more developed and a much improved sophomore and Facey will be a senior. Also, the raw Diarra plays the 4 as well. Because of that I don't see Larrier playing the 4 that much. Also, Larrier needs to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle before we can play him at the 4, IMO.

Hypothetical:
Adams - 25-30
Gilbert - 20-25
Purvis - 25-30
King - 20-25
Cassell - 5
Larrier - 20-25 (20 min from the 3, 5 min at the 4)

How could you watch Hamilton play the 4 last year and think Larrier isn't big enough to play the 4 next year? 15-20 pounds of muscle? That's absurd.

Reaction Score
How could you watch Hamilton play the 4 last year and think Larrier isn't big enough to play the 4 next year? 15-20 pounds of muscle? That's absurd.
Does he have the same rebounding instincts and ability that Hamilton does? If so, then I'm wrong and would gladly let him play minutes at the 4. Not many with that frame rebound as well as Hamilton does. And if he can't rebound that well, all I was implying was that we will have depth at the 4 next year in Enoch and Facey who could easily be better rebounders than Larrier, in which case, I would want them in at the 4 to help with rebounding considering that is one of Brimah's weaknesses.

EDIT: The first link I looked at was his ESPN page (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3138209/terry-larrier) which has him listed at 175. The more I look around, the more I see 185 and 190. When I said 15-20, I was using the 175 as a basis. 6'8" and 190-195 is plenty of weight to play at the 4.

Reaction Score

How about just his advisors? My comments BTW, were not directed at you, a lot of fans use that term, it was just a rant

Reaction Score
How about just his advisors? My comments BTW, were not directed at you, a lot of fans use that term, it was just a rant

For me handler is for the foreign kids who seem to have someone just pulling all of their strings. Someone like Majok or Maker would have a handler. When I use it I'm not implying parents or coaches, although I'd like to have some words with a lot of the AAU coaches as well. There are a lot of goods but there are others who make my skin crawl.

pj

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call King an animal. He's a beast.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Small forward from Akron, Ohio. Was visiting this weekend for First Night. Good to seem him developing a relationship with Jalen Adams.

@VJKing13: Had a great time over the weekend with the homie @JalenAdams25!

glad to see adams and king remained close over the year

Reaction Score
Does anybody know how long after the Louisville visit we heard from VJ King? Should we be concerned that we haven't really hard much? I know Louisville is in the drive seat and we're on the outside looking in, but curious if there's anything else to read into here or just wait 'n see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom