Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nobody has really said anything about Evina's game other than her little contretemps. (I'm guessing it was something the "little chick" said, because I didn't see anything physical that would explain it.)

But aside from that, Evina played 31 minutes with no apparent discomfort from her knee. Although she only scored 2 points on 1-for-8 shooting, she grabbed 6 rebounds, and had 7 assists compared to only 1 turnover. (And the rap on her at Tennessee was her excessive turnovers ...??) She was credited with 2 steals, but I think she was part of more Seton Hall turnovers than that. I thought she was a major defensive presence.

Her shooting will come around. The main thing is that she could play that many minutes with no physical issues. (Hopefully she won't wake up lame tomorrow morning!) I think she will remain a starter all season, and her statistics will be comparable to those of the other starters.

Reaction Score
Paige is a special..once in a generation kind of player. I started watching UConn Diana sophomore year, but my guess is the muttering Geno started when she threw the ball behind her back and confused her teammate was a very Diana flashback.

I will say - to me..this is cool. As I said, her presence and mentality actually reminds me more of Sue (so far), but seeing a player that so clearly emulated Diana...that’s cool. We’re gonna see that a lot with this generation, and DT might be the first women’s player that is iconic enough where young women have modeled their game after her. Yes, it is just another sign Diana is getting older..but really really cool to see.

Aaliyah is going to be something. Think about the year when Paige and Aaliyah are seniors and Azzi is a junior. Wow. Just wow.

Mir reminds me of Barbara Turner - I love Barbara Turner.

I really like Evina, she’s solid and smooth. She plays smart. She can shoot. She’s a great compliment to Paige.

loved seeing CWill being aggressive. She usually comes up big in big games, and has AA potential herself.

On a side note..I couldn’t help but think that Bria Hartley would have been an amazing backcourt Partner to Paige..given Paige’s ability to run transition.

Reaction Score
Nobody has really said anything about Evina's game other than her little contretemps. (I'm guessing it was something the "little chick" said, because I didn't see anything physical that would explain it.)

But aside from that, Evina played 31 minutes with no apparent discomfort from her knee. Although she only scored 2 points on 1-for-8 shooting, she grabbed 6 rebounds, and had 7 assists compared to only 1 turnover. (And the rap on her at Tennessee was her excessive turnovers ...??) She was credited with 2 steals, but I think she was part of more Seton Hall turnovers than that. I thought she was a major defensive presence.

Her shooting will come around. The main thing is that she could play that many minutes with no physical issues. (Hopefully she won't wake up lame tomorrow morning!) I think she will remain a starter all season, and her statistics will be comparable to those of the other starters.
Evina and Anna both have 7 asts. They played well but shooting needs to be better. Yes I am glad Evina's knee is OK.

Reaction Score
Paige is a special..once in a generation kind of player. I started watching UConn Diana sophomore year, but my guess is the muttering Geno started when she threw the ball behind her back and confused her teammate was a very Diana flashback.

I will say - to me..this is cool. As I said, her presence and mentality actually reminds me more of Sue (so far), but seeing a player that so clearly emulated Diana...that’s cool. We’re gonna see that a lot with this generation, and DT might be the first women’s player that is iconic enough where young women have modeled their game after her. Yes, it is just another sign Diana is getting older..but really really cool to see.

Aaliyah is going to be something. Think about the year when Paige and Aaliyah are seniors and Azzi is a junior. Wow. Just wow.

Mir reminds me of Barbara Turner - I love Barbara Turner.

I really like Evina, she’s solid and smooth. She plays smart. She can shoot. She’s a great compliment to Paige.

loved seeing CWill being aggressive. She usually comes up big in big games, and has AA potential herself.

On a side note..I couldn’t help but think that Bria Hartley would have been an amazing backcourt Partner to Paige..given Paige’s ability to run transition.
Can you image Page and Azzi next year? We will be in heaven next year :p .

Reaction Score
Fox Sports App was better, but not adequate.

PB doesn't look like a killer, but she is. Quickly becoming her team.

Would like to see AE start in place of ONO. I think she could be more effective offensively than ONO right now.

48 points from freshmen is huge.
I can’t believe that after improving from the first game and getting a double double Liv should lose her starting job to a freshman who has played two games!

Reaction Score
I'm thinking about women's basketball as a whole - at least the year Azzi (and Caroline, Amari, Saylor) are Sophs, and Paige/Aalyiah are Juniors. Granted there will be some transfers, injuries and players leaving school early but...

South Carolina may have Boston, Cooke, Beal, Amihere, Raven Johnson, Eniya Russell, Rivers, Feagin..
Oregon may have Tehina Pao Pao, Nyara Sabally, Sedona Prince, Jaz Shelley, Maddie Scherr, Sydney Parrish, Angela Dugalic etc.
Louisville will have a core with Van Lith and Cochran
Stanford will have Haley Jones, Cameron Brink and Fran Belibi
UNC will be loaded
Baylor will as always be competitive.
Maryland will have Reese, Owusu and more.
Caitlin Clark will be doing her thing at Iowa.

And there's a good chance one of those teams will have a Sophomore Lauren Betts,

Really fun time to be a woman's basketball fan.

Reaction Score
You know , I think Paige should start a 'Dime Jar'..:)......Something like a piggy bank.
And charge her teammates ten-cent for every missed or open layup they miss after receiving a good pass (dime) from her. And charge herself five - cent for every turnover or bad pass.

And use the money for team pizza at the end of the season.
It's 2020 and that means $10 for a miss plus it would make them concentrate better lol.

Reaction Score
Coming into this season, I expected Paige to make good reads, find open players, and be a good offensive player. I didn't expect her to be far and away our best offensive option, and as efficient as she is. I know it has only been two games, but if she keeps up these efficiency numbers, there is no way you can keep her out of the AA discussion. Glad she knocked in a few long balls too.

Aaliyah, lets face it, has a higher ceiling than Olivia. She has the athleticism, coordination, instincts, and strength to be very effective. I hope she continues to learn and get better, because she has the ability to elevate this team immensely.

These two players, paired with Azzi, look to me like the foundation of Uconn's next era.
Agree with your last sentence. I believe that’s what it looks like to Auriemma also.

Reaction Score
It looked like Mir got benched. She showed a lot of frustration with some fouls and thevbody language went bad so she went to the bench and never returned. Teaching moment.

I also liked the teaching moment when Paige wasn't getting the ball in the 2nd so Geno put her on the bench and looked at the rest of them and basically said you think you don't need her... try to keep it together now. She got the ball in the third. Lesson learned.

Depth gives the ability for teaching moments.
Another way to look at “With Paige or Without Paige” is that with her in the game the score was 83-50 UConn; and with her out of the game the score was 15-9 Seaton Hall. Any questions? Any doubts?

Reaction Score
I been waiting to see another Dee for years. And the bad news is that I will NEVER, EVER, EVER see another Diana Lorena Taurasi ..(lol), but Paige is def the closest I’ve ever seen to her which is the good news

Reaction Score
Paige is amazing, I just can’t believe she is better than I would’ve ever thought.

A. Edward’s is a monster and only going to get better

CWill - played great, although still misses some wide open and layups.

ONO - played pretty well, but I don’t see much improvement from end of last year.

Evina - steady and does so many things for this team. Still hasn’t got her offensive confidence back yet but she is just so well rounded and you can see she’s got a great defensive mentality.

Mir - looked great with her limited minutes, great offensive rebounding ability.

Aubrey - was ok, she’s still too hesitant and loses some easy passes off her hands. I think she needs to just be aggressive and attack the rim or play the mid range jumper, which I believe she has

Muhl- she’s been worse than I thought, but I will give her benefit of doubt given adjustment and her foot injury.

Ana - was ok, I don’t think she improved much but she’s a shooter that can spread the floor and a must for our team given lack of shooters

Piath - you see the movement and her agility but is so raw

Autumn - glad she got it.
Paige was Paige. CW looked better when her head was in game. Anna had 7 assists, played good defense, and the team looked better with her on the floor. Her shooting is off but might improve if she took a few more shots. But the big difference was Edwards. She will be starting over Liv before long. Muhl still needs to show me something.
She is out of position at the four. As much as I like her game, she may be more valuable backing up the other three guards, with Alijah starting at the four. She is a total beast! Either Mir or Aubrey are totally serviceable giving sub minutes at the four when Liv or Alijah need a blow. Nika doesn’t look quite ready to play major sub minutes at the one or two, but that could certainly change by the end of the season.
we need her passing. The team doesn’t look like a top four team when she is on bench.

Reaction Score
Olivia should have had a double by halftime tonight. I am not seeing Improvement from last year. Even when smaller players bump her it effects her play. As far as Williams is concerned the first quarter is the way she needs to play like that all year. Anna will keep getting better. She doesn't get flustered and she is someone who helps this team with what it needs at the time. Evina is the glue, the leader of the team and by the tournament will be a big reason this team is able to do what they do. Aubrey still can't run a offense. That one play at the foul line when she got the entry pass and panicked because she didn't know what to do. IMO Mir is much better than Aubrey. She is like a magnet with rebounds with offensive skills. Edwards reminds me of Bam Bam the way she moves people out of the way! But she makes her shots inside like Tamika Williams. Nika is going to be fine. Once she gets used to playing over here. Her foot is fine or she wouldn't be playing. Paige is a cross between Sue and Dee likeness for now until she helps bring home a NC.

The big problem was defense and some of the worst weak side defense a UConn team has ever played. Evina will be a lock down defender but I don't see anyone else right now but that can change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A monster down low, period. That is Aaliyah, period. This kid could be AA material already.....Paige seems like a definite...Freshmen, would you believe? Coach Auriemma is a once in a lifetime college coach. He and his wonderful female assistants go without words! How long has it been since some fans were posting negative reviews on his recruiting and coaching...I guess he wasn't losing it. I just watched the video of one of his championship teams, they still call coach and his wife for advice. It is such a joy for an old fart like me to be so excited and interested in a college program. Kudos!......By the way, the cute little 11 year old kid put up 29 points on us.......tell the next little girl that she cannot play basketball, she was incredible. This could be one of the best of many years A nice little break from Covid..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
First off I want to acknowledge the fact that this is only their second game in a very unbalanced season...

Summer - I actually loved watching her the last few minutes she seems like she carries herself very well on and off the court and is just happy to be a part of the program no matter how much she plays.
"Summer" is a lot more mature now. She goes by "Autumn." ;)

Reaction Score
This team is one surprise after another: Paige, Aaliyah, and now Autumn!

I loved the glimpse we got of Autumn Chassion and hope we get a longer look next time.

Aaliyah has to play. Lots.

Paige is a stat sheet stuffer. Comparisons to Taurasi and Moore are valid, though she's more of a combination of their fortes and the fortes of others: Moore's slashing, Taurasi's passing, Sue Bird's or Breanna Stewart's pullup, Kelly Faris's thieving defense. We are watching the nascency of a special talent.

Speaking of slashing, Christyn Williams may be the best pure slasher I've seen at UConn.

I lived in Indiana during Larry Bird's time at Indiana State. His play and stats were so extraordinary that one of the scant few networks at the time broadcast every ISU game of his senior year. Hardly a game went by when he didn't hit a teammate in the face with a pass. Paige has his "look away at your own peril" quality.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is the next Tina Charles. A great motor inside (which is what the last few UConn teams needed) & she can hit an outside shot. If she can stay away from foul trouble, she'll be a force this year.
Your right napheesa didn’t have a great motor

Reaction Score
I have to also say..if I was a recruit watching Paige play I would be more than happy to commit to UCONN to have the chance to be on the receiving end of some of those passes and to play with greatness.

Sorry, No Vacancy. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom