Seth Greenberg on UConn & the Big East | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenberg on UConn & the Big East

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2016 Audit data doesn't break out AD revenue.
The 990 (2014) data lists athletic revenue $6.5M, was the remaining $23.5M school support?

(See Part VIII 2(e).)

Reaction Score
2016 Audit data doesn't break out AD revenue.
The 990 (2014) data lists athletic revenue $6.5M, was the remaining $23.5M school support?

(See Part VIII 2(e).)

Wow

It's almost like PC is not fundamentally pure and good and UConn is not fundamentally corrupt and evil

Whowouldathunkit?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hey you are barking up the wrong tree. It is stairmasters who thinks we can't get a good coach due to the economic state of CT and Ollie's big contract. I think DB will make the move at the end of the year and we will be fine. I mean maybe not the UCONN of old but at least close to a Gonzaga level of challenging top teams year in and year out.
Has anyone from the BY legal staff figured out what the payout would be on the contract before signing someone new?

Reaction Score

Oh, I'm just giving you a hard a time.

It seems your general line of argument across all Boneyard threads is "everything PC does is good and righteous and everything UConn does is bad."

Reaction Score
Oh, I'm just giving you a hard a time.

It seems your general line of argument across all Boneyard threads is "everything PC does is good and righteous and everything UConn does is bad."

I don't think you even considered the possibility that PC might be subsidizing their athletic department

Reaction Score
The suggestion that joining the NBE would generate a windfall for UConn is a complete fallacy. People are conflating issues, judging revenue solely on basketball specific TV deals, and simply using bad data.

In year ending June 2015 the gross revenue of the NBE was $42.6M, Their media deal paid out $31.6M (or $3.16M per school). Of course. . . there are expenses. The net payout for teams in the conference averaged less than $3M, which ranged from Creighton's payout of $2.2M to top earner Villanova's $3.7M. For year ending June 2016 the NBE revenue climbed to $45.8M. Assuming expenses stay relatively consistent, you are talking about an extra $200K increase per school at best. Fox back-loaded this deal.

The AAC's revenue for year ending June 2016 was $79.3M, up $9M from the year prior, but still pretty lame. Of that, UConn pocketed $10.5M. Before you think it's all about NCAA Units/Exit Fees, Houston pocketed $7.1M. Even Tulsa pocketed $4.7M. Post Season Tournaments totaled $48M. Much of this was derived through the CFP, which will continue to increase (helping offset other decreases). The recent success of AAC football will add to the pot. Having said that, the AAC is still at a distinct disadvantage with regard to the P5. That's a fact.

Would UConn be better off collecting $3.7M, funding a FCS football team and outfitting 20+ olympic sports, like Villanova? I doubt it, at least financially. The $3.7 would not begin to cover the cost of doing so. We would likely have to scrap football altogether. Currently, it's pretty much a wash with regard to conference revenue, with our $7M edge (along with FBS attached revenue) going to subsidize a modest FBS effort. The difference is that AAC/P5 inclusion has much, much greater upside potential on many different levels, especially for a flagship university. Unfortunately, fan interest and some sports, including basketball, will take a hit in the short term, but it's still the right course of action. The upcoming TV deal will help determine whether that remains the case.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Screw it; we should probably just endure the next seven years of pain in the AAC-- which I continue to posit is weaker than the NBE and probably will still be seven years from now--and wait to see what happens in the Big 12. However, we should schedule Villanova and Georgetown every year for a while going forward. I think Edsall can get us back to being a borderline bowl team, but he needs to do so fast. We need to schedule 4 P5 home and home series for our OOC ever year from now on. We need a new coach in basketball and we need to schedule even better in the OOC. Probably need to add VCU and Dayton to the league for basketball only as well.

Reaction Score
It's easier to be relevant in the NBE because all the BIG DOGS left.

lol except Us and cuse and Lousiville are all floundering out of the league. We are puppies now smh

Reaction Score
The suggestion that joining the NBE would generate a windfall for UConn is a complete fallacy. People are conflating issues, judging revenue solely on basketball specific TV deals, and simply using bad data.

In year ending June 2015 the gross revenue of the NBE was $42.6M, Their media deal paid out $31.6M (or $3.16M per school). Of course. . . there are expenses. The net payout for teams in the conference averaged less than $3M, which ranged from Creighton's payout of $2.2M to top earner Villanova's $3.7M. For year ending June 2016 the NBE revenue climbed to $45.8M. Assuming expenses stay relatively consistent, you are talking about an extra $200K increase per school at best. Fox back-loaded this deal.

The AAC's revenue for year ending June 2016 was $79.3M, up $9M from the year prior, but still pretty lame. Of that, UConn pocketed $10.5M. Before you think it's all about NCAA Units/Exit Fees, Houston pocketed $7.1M. Even Tulsa pocketed $4.7M. Post Season Tournaments totaled $48M. Much of this was derived through the CFP, which will continue to increase (helping offset other decreases). The recent success of AAC football will add to the pot. Having said that, the AAC is still at a distinct disadvantage with regard to the P5. That's a fact.

Would UConn be better off collecting $3.7M, funding a FCS football team and outfitting 20+ olympic sports, like Villanova? I doubt it, at least financially. The $3.7 would not begin to cover the cost of doing so. We would likely have to scrap football altogether. Currently, it's pretty much a wash with regard to conference revenue, with our $7M edge (along with FBS attached revenue) going to subsidize a modest FBS effort. The difference is that AAC/P5 inclusion has much, much greater upside potential on many different levels, especially for a flagship university. Unfortunately, fan interest and some sports, including basketball, will take a hit in the short term, but it's still the right course of action. The upcoming TV deal will help determine whether that remains the case.

Don't forget about bowl payouts either... bowl payouts are shared between all conference members regardless of who actually makes a bowl.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've said this multiple times, but it really boggles my mind how UConn is doubling and tripling down on non-football/men's basketball sports in the AD.

Every single available athletic penny should be going towards making the football and basketball team strong again.

With a $30M subsidy I don't simply understand where the money is coming from to pour and more pour money into non-revenue sports without one eye looking towards the future.

Hate to say it, but if we're not in a league in 10 years, spending millions to upgrade baseball, hockey, softball, soccer etc. is going to look pretty dumb.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
It's been mentioned a bunch when that subsidy number gets published, that number includes all intramural and scholarship money. Very few schools add those numbers to their athletic budgets, a more accurate number is $15-18 mil per year.

Reaction Score
You Don't get it. PC, Xavier, and Butler are bigtime because they make the round of 64. They never come close to winning it, but hey 7 teams from the NBE must mean something..

So let's trash the millions we have invested in football so we can charge head first into playing Marquette and Georgetown on FS-1 once a month.
The Boneyard: where the only agreements are accidental

Reaction Score
Don't forget about bowl payouts either... bowl payouts are shared between all conference members regardless of who actually makes a bowl.

It could be part of $48M number, but you're right in that it's another revenue stream that has the potential to climb. Many AAC teams performed well this year.

Reaction Score
If we were thumping our conference mates in Men's basketball on a regular basis then all this worry about conferences would fade away.Winning OOC games against decent opponets should also be doable. The problem is our inability to be top 3 in a conference we should be top 2 in year in and year out. Win, get in the big dance and do some damage. How has this become such a hard thing to do?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we were thumping our conference mates in Men's basketball on a regular basis then all this worry about conferences would fade away.Winning OOC games against decent opponets should also be doable. The problem is our inability to be top 3 in a conference we should be top 2 in year in and year out. Win, get in the big dance and do some damage. How has this become such a hard thing to do?
Ollie sucks. Duh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom