Seth Davis Piece on Dan Hurley | The Boneyard

Seth Davis Piece on Dan Hurley

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Hurley is an open book in this piece. About as in-depth a look into our guy's head as you can find. Fascinating read, borders on harrowing. It put my place as a UConn fan in perspective. We're lucky to have Hurley at the helm.

Reaction Score
Incredible article. My first thought, "Wow, Danny is so lucky to have Andrea by his side". My second thought, "Wow, we are so lucky to have this guy as our coach." The best line was how he loves all his teams, but he adored this one. It showed. And we adored it too!

Reaction Score
Good to see how forthcoming his is about his struggles. 6 years ago in grad school I wrote a research paper on athlete mental health and you basically couldn't find much of anything on the topic outside of some dubious research and a few anecdotes from NBA players.

Reaction Score
As someone who really went through it this year -- I had to take 6 weeks off from work -- I really love to see Hurley using his platform like this.

Love this coach.
Glad to hear you came out the other side man. My family has a history of these type of difficulties, and the last few years has been tough for pretty much everyone. As you said, I love to see Hurley speak on these things, and athletes in general have done a great job on this recently.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great article. Often, really successful people are just wired differently. Hurley's demands on himself are what make him great. I absolutely echo the notion that he's incredibly blessed to have Andrea by his side.

For what it's worth, Geno struggles with the same issues. That's pretty good company.

Reaction Score
Appreciate Seth's sensitivity to Dan's condition in this article. Sometimes the old records keep playing in your mind from your youth/upbringing no matter how successful you become and what you achieve in life.

Glad Dan is not too proud to ask for help. Glad he has Andrea by his side. Glad he is accepting of those who love and care about him. Glad he can look in the mirror and make a friend of change. Especially glad that he is our coach and is providing his wisdom and relatability to his team/coaching staff/UConn Nation.

Reaction Score
Wonderful article; Seth Davis should be proud.

As for Coach Hurley, I applaud his courage for facing his challenges publicly. He's expressed being uncomfortable getting the accolades of winning the championship and he is an enjoy the process guy. Here's to Coach being able to enjoy the process at UConn for many years to come. He is unique and spectacular.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Exceptional article. So well written.

D 1 college basketball is a pressure cooker at the highest level. UConn is in the highest level.

Hurley shows great courage and a high level of comfort to talk about his mental health. He is in a partnership with his wife Andrea and his entire family. He has things in place to keep him on track. He is a very fortunate man on many fronts.

I was happy when he was hired to coach UConn. No question his hire was a great move.

Reaction Score
As someone who really went through it this year -- I had to take 6 weeks off from work -- I really love to see Hurley using his platform like this.

Love this coach.
Same. Was dealing with a major health issue, then in addition was diagnosed with cancer. As a result had my first anxiety attack followed by a depression period. Was/are dealing with all 3 things at once. Hit me like a ton of bricks out of nowhere. Debilitating at times. Comes back periodically to varying degrees. The struggle is real. Nothing for 51 years and then BOOM. Jay Glazer is another public person who has struggled and used his platform to inform and help people

Reaction Score
Tony Reali from Around the Horn is another famous sports personality who has opened up about these sorts of issues. Has talked about how he has spent days at a time vomiting over the toilet from his anxiety. Glad this important issue is finally being raised in sports

Reaction Score
I feel like the norm for coaches and players is to only show you the happy side of things, I appreciate Hurley for being so genuine. I am glad this title seems to have allowed him to open up and be real about how tough mental health issues can be and how to work through them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not being able to find fulfillment in the national championship is tough. Hope he finds it in the mentorship and bonds he makes with his players. This job is too stressful to not find anything fulfilling about it.

Reaction Score
I can sympathize with the empty feeling after national title. While I would not classify myself as a high achiever, I do remember a project I was on that was impossible. I did it well, and got a nice bonus at the end.

After I got the bonus…absolute emptiness. I ended up switching jobs because I was distraught and didn’t want to go to work/depressed etc. Never figured out why I felt that way until I read the article.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom