Seth Davis: BE "Top Tier" Does Not Include UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis: BE "Top Tier" Does Not Include UConn

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have a major coaching problem, talent only takes you so far.

He's....not good at some aspects of the job.

Outside of Butler who was overwhelmed, every Big East coach was able to disrupt us. They're one step ahead of him all the time.

Reaction Score
I just can’t understand that the defensive plan against St. John’s was to protect and drape the 3 point line.

And then you play a 1-3-1 zone that equally leaves the paint wide open for drives?

Reaction Score

Outside of Butler who was overwhelmed, every Big East coach was able to disrupt us. They're one step ahead of him all the time.
And it's been this way for 5 years. We look great to start the season, all the better coaches than Hurley see what we do and gameplan knowing how to attack us on both ends. They all know Hurley won't adjust. A lot of talent on the teams the past few seasons yet we're the easiest team to scout.

Reaction Score
Davis is right.

Hurley failed to develop a point guard, ran off the only two on the roster and then got out-portaled.

This team got figured out and is now an easy mark.
He didn’t really get out-portaled, he is just ruining the rather good portal players he got. Both Newton and Alleyne have regressed dramatically. Newton has gone from a second round draft pick, maybe even late first round, to playing in Egypt. I don’t understand how that happened.

Reaction Score

Had Creighton not shot incredibly poorly it would be a 5 game losing streak. Teams have clearly figured us out, time to make some serious lineup changes..

Reaction Score
Had Creighton not shot incredibly poorly it would be a 5 game losing streak. Teams have clearly figured us out, time to make some serious lineup changes..
Unless the lineup change involves playing a guard that’s currently glued to the bench, there is nothing to work with.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn was undefeated these clowns would still find something to hate on. Would love to see Xavier or Providence beat a team like Bama on a neutral court.

I literally couldn’t care less about the big east championship. It’s a nice stepping stone, but national titles are all that matter. We have weaknesses like all teams, but will improve & gel more as the season progresses. Can’t wait to revisit these comments in a few weeks.
This is ridiculous. I don't know if it's the media that has convinced us that nothing matters except the Super Bowl winner, the NCAA champ, etc. but it's much more than that. Enjoy the journey, the regular season. Only 1 team out of 360 wins the NCAA title. Does that mean all the other teams have failed?? I HATE this attitude.

Reaction Score
Unless the lineup change involves playing a guard that’s currently glued to the bench, there is nothing to work with.
For starters, give Diarra one shot at least as the starting PG and if the results are bad, give the keys to Andre. I’ve seen enough of Newton, Alleyne and Joey C. We thought depth was our big strength but it’s looking more now like it should be down to a 7 man lineup with Johnson.

Reaction Score
This conversation was had yesterday….what’s your point?
I was at the game today. The way our team is playing, a 3-, or even 2-game deficit is insurmountable. There are deep problems that may not be solved this year. I hate the overly optimistic views on this board despite the horrific play these last 3 weeks. The question is, can we stop the skid to salvage something of this season.

Reaction Score
How about the home game vs 2-5 St John’s today?
FEels like we should be thanking our lucky stars to have beaten Georgetown. The next game they win on the road in conference will be the first.

Reaction Score
I mean Seth's not wrong...

If I gotta make tiers for the Big East here's how it'd go

Tier 1: The Kings

Xavier, Marquette, Providence

Tier 2: The Contenders

Creighton, UConn

Tier 3: Mid (if UConn loses to Seton Hall it dropping down here)

Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, Butler

Tier 4: The Basement

DePaul, Georgetown

Reaction Score
Happened to catch Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis talking about the BE on CBS this afternoon. Showed BE standings with Xavier and Providence at 6-0 and Marquette at 6-1. Davis notes how UConn, after its "fast start" has fallen back, its guards being exposed as "perhaps good shooters but unable to set up plays for others." He opines that the "top tier" of the BE -- Xavier, Providence and Marquette -- seems to have "separated itself" from the rest of the field.

It's absolutely dizzying how quickly teams can rise in accreditation by beating UConn in their own gyms. No need to wait until the return matches are played at UConn and down the line at MSG. UConn apparently is such a great team that just beating them on your home court establishes your superiority. A curious bit of logic -- and one that leaves this particular UConn fan virtually drooling at the opportunities ahead to enlighten BE basketball commentators.
The question now looks like “will UConn finish ahead of Georgetown?”

Reaction Score
I suppose one could argue that the team with the highest ranking by all measures has been by-passed by three programs with lower rankings. Not sure who would give you much cred after that argument but being credible doesn't appear to be on Seth's agenda. Besides, didn't he just rank us in the top 5 recently?
UConn has now been bypassed by Seton Hall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom