Serious shaka love to uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Serious shaka love to uconn

Reaction Score
Based on Andreas comments at the FF last year and his comments last night, I think it is pretty clear that Coach would be ok with Cam giving PC an earful this weekend if it doesn't hurt our winning chances.

Was amazing when he said that he should talk to Cam before games and let him give S to fan bases he thinks deserve it LMAO

Reaction Score
Shaka on both post game interviews reeled me in. I wasn’t a big fan of his but really didn’t listen all that much in the past. He was really respectful of the Huskies but also very good in the analysis of the games both his team and the Huskies. Also he seems to have been a quick pass through with many coaches after games but he and Dan have had what would seem to be respectful discussions in line.

Great guy good coach. Just don’t play defense on the court Duke style lol.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It seems that for right now there seems to be a gentlemen's coach agreement to not get after each other when being on the floor. (see: Shaheen and Hurley grab assing over it at Gampel) All it is going to take is one coach to go for an advantage and gamesmanship this and have a player intentionally dribble into a coach on the floor (for example Karaban could've absolutely run into Shaka last night if Hurley told him to) to force the refs to call it and gain a tech foul shots in a close, important game and you will see them in their boxes again.

I dont even consider this a ref issue any longer. The only reason the refs let it go is that no coaches complain about it. It's a coaching issue.

If I’m playing Marquette and it’s close, I have someone drive right through Shaka’s sternum for free throws and the ball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Shaka on both post game interviews reeled me in. I wasn’t a big fan of his but really didn’t listen all that much in the past. He was really respectful of the Huskies but also very good in the analysis of the games both his team and the Huskies. Also he seems to have been a quick pass through with many coaches after games but he and Dan have had what would seem to be respectful discussions in line.

Great guy good coach. Just don’t play defense on the court Duke style lol.

You do know that there was about a million percent chance that he was going to be our head coach post-Calhoun if JC hadn’t done the retire-in-September gambit, right?

Reaction Score
Shaka is the 6th man on the court. Nothing to see here.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You do know that there was about a million percent chance that he was going to be our head coach post-Calhoun if JC hadn’t done the retire-in-September gambit, right?
I wouldn’t have hated it. But I don’t know if I would’ve loved it either. A natty with he who must not be named and then being here 10 years later ( despite 5 years of purgatory) I think might’ve been worth that miss.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t have hated it. But I don’t know if I would’ve loved it either. A natty with he who must not be named and then being here 10 years later ( despite 5 years of purgatory) I think might’ve been worth that miss.

Only Kelvin Sampson could deliver UConn like results in the AAC. Shaka is a step below that. I don’t know if he’d have survived here or not.

Things worked out for us, but man, it was rough for a while.
I remember members of this board declaring the program dead and insisting we’d never win another natty.

Reaction Score
Can't give up two titles. Hurley is awesome, and currently the best coach in college basketball.

That doesn't mean I don't really like Shaka as a coach. Nor does it change the fact that those dark years in between would probably have been much better with Shaka. But the best case scenario with Shaka, IMO, is one title between 2013-2023. Maybe more deep runs, maybe another Final Four. But more than one title doesn't seem reasonable. And we have two in that time. Give me that.

Reaction Score
Only Kelvin Sampson could deliver UConn like results in the AAC. Shaka is a step below that. I don’t know if he’d have survived here or not.

Things worked out for us, but man, it was rough for a while.
I remember members of this board declaring the program dead and insisting we’d never win another natty.
Shaka's legit. Maybe not Sampson, but that's not fair. They're just different. Sampson has, what, one more Final Four than Shaka and is a million years older?

Shaka would have won here. And he would have won a lot. But probably not like we're seeing now.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shaka is a great coach, but they absolutely need to get his ass off the court. He basically defends the corner three.
Like this?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kudos to both coaches on praising each other. I admit, as a fan, I love the fire Cam brings. Hurley perfectly answered the press in relation to the 3pointer and technical foul called thereafter by simply saying we can’t disrespect this fanbase like that. Karma got him by missing the next couple attempts. But the respect between the programs is definitely elevating a bit between Hurley-Shaka. Blood on court, respect/admiration off-court. It’s great for big east.
He also stated twice in that second 54 second segment Cam did it too early. That was Hurley code to Cam not to take himself out of any game. That was his primary concern. After the way Hurley was treated at Creighton people are that naive to think Hurley gives a s- - - about the feelings of opposing fan bases?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly. Would Shaka have been able to get us that championship with Bazz, Boat, Giffey, Daniels and company? We will never know. We do know that Ollie did. The other thing that we know is that unless Shaka decided to phone it in after the championship, we probably weren't going to be in a position to hire Hurley, who may be the second best hire in program history.

Smart would have been a good hire, but with the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure everyone is glad how things turned out, bumps in the road not withstanding.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard the Shaka-UConn post-Calhoun talk before but don’t really know the details (only really became terminally-online in terms of the program in 12-13 or so). Would anyone mind giving the cliff notes version or pointing me to an old thread that has a good description?

Reaction Score
Shaka is the most on-the-court coach I’ve seen.

Calhoun was a big out of the coach’s box guy, but not really on the court.

Shaka is a great coach, but they absolutely need to get his ass off the court. He basically defends the corner three.
A lot of coaches go on the court when the ball is on the far side half court. Shaka is the only coach I know of that goes on the court when the ball is in the half court right in front of him.

Reaction Score
I

Dan Hurley has such a strong handle on how to be and stay classy towards those who have earned it and are worthy adversaries versus those programs and fan bases that deserve any and all attitude we can throw at them.
Not like Prov. They messed with Mrs. Hurley. You dont mess with the first lady of our program.

Reaction Score
I love what Dan said here re: Cam's S%!$ talking this particular program and fan base.

"I think he (referring to Cam) caught a little bit of karma there. I just think he went to that too early and he's got to reign that in... I know that there is some other fan bases and programs that I don't mind him s%!$ talking them but, um, I did not like him doing it near their bench and to their fans because these people here............ it's a classy program, it's a championship program and Cam should not be yelling s%!$ at their bench."

Dan Hurley has such a strong handle on how to be and stay classy towards those who have earned it and are worthy adversaries versus those programs and fan bases that deserve any and all attitude we can throw at them.
Stay classy UConn because we’re kind of a big deal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A lot of coaches go on the court when the ball is on the far side half court. Shaka is the only coach I know of that goes on the court when the ball is in the half court right in front of him.

Same. I’ve never seen a coach on the floor within feet of the other team.

Honestly, have Hassan Diarra send him to the shadow realm once and he will never do it again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom