Serena's Run Comes To An End | The Boneyard

Serena's Run Comes To An End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Serena Stunned in US Open Semifinals

NEW YORK
— There will be no historic Grand Slam for Serena Williams after all.
Roberti Vinci made sure of that.

The 32-year-old Italian stunned Williams — and the tennis world — by knocking off the three-time defending champion 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the semifinals of the US Open.

Williams was seeking to become the first woman since Steffi Graf in 1988 to win the Grand Slam.
Vinci entered the tournament facing odds of 300-1 to win it.

[MORE]

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What Vinci did in this match is exactly why I think Steffi would have beaten Serena, which was use the slice, which Serena does not handle well. Steffi's slice backhand hugged the ground. Vinci also moved very well and kept getting balls back and no player in the history of the game moved any better than Steffi.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What Vinci did in this match is exactly why I think Steffi would have beaten Serena, which was use the slice, which Serena does not handle well. Steffi's slice backhand hugged the ground. Vinci also moved very well and kept getting balls back and no player in the history of the game moved any better than Steffi.
good points... I wasn't into tennis back when Graff was playing

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The only way Serena could lose was to beat herself said Chrissie
She did. Nervous as heck
Yeah, nerves really seemed to get to her. Jumped out 2-0 in the 3rd set only to lose 6 of the final 8 games. I'm bummed for her from a historical perspective, but she played poorly and let a plucky clay court player out-do her...

So anyone have Penetta vs. Vinci in the finals? Certainly not me!! I bet the US Open itself is bummed - 1 vs. 2 gone. Now it's 26 vs. unranked...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah, nerves really seemed to get to her. Jumped out 2-0 in the 3rd set only to lose 6 of the final 8 games. I'm bummed for her from a historical perspective, but she played poorly and let a plucky clay court player out-do her...

So anyone have Penetta vs. Vinci in the finals? Certainly not me!! I bet the US Open itself is bummed - 1 vs. 2 gone. Now it's 26 vs. unranked...

ESPN isnt too happy right now.... first time ever airing the women's final.... and this happens :oops:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Baloney, Serena would have steamrolled Graf. Graf wasn't even as good as Seles. She was losing to Seles on a regular basis before the stabbing.

Reaction Score
Baloney, Serena would have steamrolled Graf. Graf wasn't even as good as Seles. She was losing to Seles on a regular basis before the stabbing.
Well Serena didn't steamroll Vinci an unseeded player who did play very well. Graf was a tremendous player and fighter. If Serena and Graf played it would be a tough battle and nobody would get steamrolled.

Reaction Score

I figured if Serena lost it would be to a soft hitter and someone's style she doesn't see a lot of. She can outhit every other player. Serena seemed stunned at the end and I felt bad for her because I doubt she'll get that calendar year grand slam chance again. Seemed like quite a few three setters for her in this tournament.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw the score at 3-4 in the second set and thought Serena would win in 2 or 3 sets. I'm shocked.

Grand Slams--in golf or tennis--are appreciated because they are very hard. So are winning 3 WCBB championships in a row or 90 games in a row. Some players or teams make it look easy, but it's very, very hard.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No tennis Grand Slam again this year.Winning the 4 Slams in one calendar year.

Just goes to show you can only count on death , taxes , and The Huskies.
The Huskies will win their 4th NC in a row.. THE HUSKY SLAM.
I like that - new breakfast item at Geno's restaurant - the Husky Slam. It would have to have 4 of "something" in it (like 4 eggs, or whatever)...

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Well Serena didn't steamroll Vinci an unseeded player who did play very well. Graf was a tremendous player and fighter. If Serena and Graf played it would be a tough battle and nobody would get steamrolled.
I think Serena and Graf would have to play each other multiple times over several years to establish who was the better player. Graf was very consistent over the prime of her career. Serena's career has been marred with inconsistency and flaking out. It can never be settled, but my vote is for Graf. I already didn't, but after today I really don't feel Serena can be thought of as "dominant."

HGN

Reaction Score
I like that - new breakfast item at Geno's restaurant - the Husky Slam. It would have to have 4 of "something" in it (like 4 eggs, or whatever)...
Yeah, like a 4 egg omelet GRAND SLAM Breakfast at Geno's restaurant............Like Geno saying "omelet " somebody else win a NC after our Grand Slam.:):p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No tennis Grand Slam again this year.Winning the 4 Slams in one calendar year.

Just goes to show you can only count on death , taxes , and The Huskies.
The Huskies will win their 4th NC in a row.. THE HUSKY SLAM.

The Stewie/Mo/ Tuck slam...and they won't fold

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baloney, Serena would have steamrolled Graf. I can't remGraf wasn't even as good as Seles. She was losing to Seles on a regular basis before the stabbing.

Yeah, just like she steamrolled Vinci, an unseeded player, today. I can't remember Graf ever losing to an unseeded player in a major. Don't get me wrong, I love Serena and think she is one of the top players in tennis history, but I don't think it would have been a favorable matchup for Serena. Serena should have stayed away from that slice backhand today.

I like baloney, especially fried with country gravey.

Reaction Score
Vinci played very well, but when Serena beat Venus, in HER mind she HAD the Grand Slam! She wasn't worried about the rest of the draw just Venus! She wasn't prepared for what Vinci brought to the match, her shots and her movement, and now Serena's full of what-ifs!

Reaction Score
The only way Serena could lose was to beat herself said Chrissie
She did. Nervous as heck
It's been noted that there aren't a whole lot of terrific lady tennis players to challenge Serena. When Steffie Graf was completing her Grand Slam, the quality of players was substantially better than it presently is. How many tennis Icons were there during Graf's era compared to what type challengers Serena faces? No comparison and she missed her opportunity. Never been a big Serena fan and I'm happy she didn't make it because I don't think she's in the same league as Graf!

Reaction Score
But Vinci played very well. She volleyed well and really scrambled well. This was not jut the case of a Serena collapse.
The level of competition in women's tennis is nothing close to what it was during Steffi Graf's prime. Not even close.

Reaction Score
I would say that Graf would beat Serena consistently because not only was she a superb tennis player but I think extraordinarily tough mentally. It's pretty obvious by this that Serena is not nearly as tough mentally though she's shown the same issues earlier in her career, inconsistency due to mental lapses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom