OT: - Senior Moment, am I alone? | The Boneyard

OT: Senior Moment, am I alone?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm a little embarrassed about this, but what the heck. I have three sons, three daughters-in-law, and 5 grandsons. My wife makes me wrap all the presents, which is really alot since she always goes overboard. Well anyway, one morning I asked her where my scissors with the orange handle was. She said she didn't know, but as always, she probably used them and left them somewhere. Fast forward to Christmas day at my son's house, and while opening presents my son at the far side of the room asked me if I intentionally wrapped something, and he was holding up a pair of scissors with orange handles. What, are you kidding me, how could I wrap scissors in a present for my grandson? OMG, the thing that popped into my mind was the old senile aunt of Clark Griswold's wife wrapping up her cat in "Christmas Vacation". I thought I was really losing it, so that's what a few days of not watching the Huskies can do to a person. Needless to say, the subject was dropped, but in the future, my sons will probably bring it up to bust my stones. LOL, Merry Christmas to my Boneyard friends, and all UConn fans around the country. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I'm a little embarrassed about this, but what the heck. I have three sons, three daughters-in-law, and 5 grandsons. My wife makes me wrap all the presents, which is really alot since she always goes overboard. Well anyway, one morning I asked her where my scissors with the orange handle was. She said she didn't know, but as always, she probably used them and left them somewhere. Fast forward to Christmas day at my son's house, and while opening presents my son at the far side of the room asked me if I intentionally wrapped something, and he was holding up a pair of scissors with orange handles. What, are you kidding me, how could I wrap scissors in a present for my grandson? OMG, the thing that popped into my mind was the old senile aunt of Clark Griswold's wife wrapping up her cat in "Christmas Vacation". I thought I was really losing it, so that's what a few days of not watching the Huskies can do to a person. Needless to say, the subject was dropped, but in the future, my sons will probably bring it up to bust my stones. LOL, Merry Christmas to my Boneyard friends, and all UConn fans around the country. Go Huskies.
You may want to request this from your wife for next year and beyond. :D

1672150548193.png

Reaction Score
The worst part of it is that in the middle of it you have no idea that it is actually 'the orange handles scissors' you are looking for. For a moment you know you're looking for something but for the life of you you have no clue what it is!

Reaction Score
The worst part of it is that in the middle of it you have no idea that it is actually 'the orange handles scissors' you are looking for. For a moment you know you're looking for something but for the life of you you have no clue what it is!
Yep, one becomes a very religious person. Always thinking about the ‘hereafter’.

Reaction Score
I also find myself thinking about the hereafter at such moments, and I mean that literally: what can I leave behind here for my daughter when I'm gone? My dad was also quite focused on this toward the end, but failed to leave behind much because he got a bit foggy and made some key mistakes with his estate plan. I need to keep better track of those orange-handled scissors... for her sake.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Me too. Maybe it's because I consider wrapping Christmas gifts as one of the dumbest wastes of time because I know it's all going to end up in the trash can in a few hours.

Reaction Score
My husband wraps, I box and bow and label. One year, my hairbrush was laying on the bed where he was wrapping. He wrapped it up and it ended up in our daughter’s stocking. Needless to say, we get reminded of that story pretty much every year!

Reaction Score
If it makes you feel any better, we are still looking for an adjustable wrench that got lost the last time we installed a dishwasher. We even took the dishwasher out to make sure that they didn’t get left underneath it. No such luck!

Reaction Score
I watch games on the weekend at a friend's house. He's got what he calls his "memory chair." Once he settles into that thing, he can't remember names, song titles, arcane rules -- it's all "What's his name?" or "What's that rule where you can't...?" I'm working on a memory sofa at my house.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A solution to your delimma: Do what we do............simply have one or two of your granddaughters come over and wrap all of the gifts your wife buys except the ones for them. Treat them to lunch (make a lunch run if you have to). Ours do it without any expectation of financial compensation. It's "payback" for all of the things we do for them (and money we give them) during the year. Just make sure they have all of the tape, sissors and wrapping paper they need to wrap all of the gifts. I stopped wrapping gifts years ago. The wife still wraps a few, but the girls wrap the bulk of them. :) I have a lot of other duties around the house at Christmas time.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
We have lots of partially used rolls of wrapping paper. Which room are they hiding in? Haven't got a clue. Couldn't ask the one whose presents needed wrapping. (And, didn't want to be reminded, yet again, that she had told me more than once…)
Went to our local has almost everything store, Reny's, to buy more. Also more tape, though there must be twenty rolls scattered about where I can’t,t think to look. Discovered holiday themed bags, all sizes. Yiipppeeeee! No more seven year old boy sloppy wrapping by yours truly. Bought many fine gift bags.
Left them in the back of the car. Spent hours hunting for them all over the house.

Bit this is nothing new. Pushpoints, glazing compound, pipe tape, tools of all shapes and sizes. I have many, never findable when needed, so I just pop down to he local hardware store and add to the stock of disappearing necessities.

I keep hunting for better muscle tone and youth, but those too have gone missing. :D

Reaction Score
I did that with sun glasses, just told my son I thought he needed them then bought me some new one. No one but my wife knew what I did but soon everyone knew!

Reaction Score
I once spent the better part of an hour scouring the house for a very special watch I had purchased years ago. Giving up, I entered my car, sat in the driver's seat, and reached for the steering wheel. Whereupon my sleeve rode up my wrist revealing............................my watch!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom