Semi OT. What helps make a great athlete | The Boneyard

Semi OT. What helps make a great athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
With the various threads that revolve around Stef's (and others before her) efforts at transformational conditioning, the need to confront and rehab from injuries, identifying desirable recruits, etc., I thought this might be of interest. I've been helping coach softball for the Wayland Baseball & Softball Association for the past two years, and that org. forwards some interesting stuff.

http://changingthegameproject.com/more-important-than-talent/

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice - thanks for posting. Wayland, MA?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Usually great genes in great jeans. And if you go with the guy who plays to his right, a ton of injected juice.

minka-kelly-derek-jeter-vuitton-07.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But seriously, suffering is one of the key elements in my sport of distance running, as the most famous XC slogan goes: "Pain is temporary, pride is foever." However, even for the most masochistic sufferers of all of us, there is a limit to how much you can overcome the genes you're born with. As noted in a previous post, David Epstein's great book The Sports Gene does a nice job of discussing all the complexity and nuances of nurture\suffering and nature\talent for moderate and elite athletes. As he notes, if you're born with a mass of fast twitch muscles you're not going to be an elite marathoner no matter how much you suffer, and the same is true for any slow-twitch types who dream of becoming Jesse Owens. But short guys can become the world's best high jumpers if they are built a certain way and work at it very very hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom