Semi-OT: Our Team Gets Downright Political... | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: Our Team Gets Downright Political...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...as our ladies come off the bench to be Geno's reinforcements.

"UConn officials have said that Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's proposed budget allocation has $40 million less than the school needs for next year. UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said Tuesday it's still early to say what will have to be cut if the legislature does not put more money in the budget for UConn."

UConn_Tweet_18.jpg

This is Geno coaching and teaching off the court. Interesting article with more pics!

[LINK]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That would be unfortunate - i'm sure Warde and Susan are lobbying big time - to have the state cut funding to UCONN would send a horrible message to the B1G and ACC.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I know the cuts in AZ are also severe. I hear a lot of radio ads for Arizona State University promoting their rolling enrollment periods and have wondered if their ad campaign is successful if they will be able to handle the extra students.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That would be unfortunate - i'm sure Warde and Susan are lobbying big time - to have the state cut funding to UCONN would send a horrible message to the B1G and ACC.
Unfortunately, Connecticut will just be another in a long line of states doing so. NJ has been doing it for years, AZ also. Jkicker has the AZ situation right, both k-12 and the universities getting cut left and right. It is a simple source of money and easy to sell to the multitude of seniors. We saw that in the small town where we lived in NJ, although the Arizona issues go far beyond just education unfortunately.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The sad thing, of course, is that to the extent that you cut education in this country - both in K-12 and at the university level - you are also risking the long term overall economic health of the country as our workforce because less trained relative to the rest of the world. Which likely means exacerbating the long term economic woes of the states that had led to these cuts in the first place.

I'm beginning to think that this thread title should be endowed with an OT!

JS

Reaction Score
Well, it starts out to be about what a delegation from the team did. But it may end up justifying your suggestion.

Also bears watching for a possible turn into partisan politics.

P.S. 10:30 p.m: first political pruning now accomplished. Fairly I hope -- not that that will stop people on either side of the political divide from being ready to pounce when they catch scent of the other side.

Hint: if you're decrying the cuts to education in a state, don't mention a politician, by name or even by office, as being behind it. Unless, of course, you're the OP, in which case without mention of a politician the thread wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The sad thing, of course, is that to the extent that you cut education in this country - both in K-12 and at the university level - you are also risking the long term overall economic health of the country as our workforce because less trained relative to the rest of the world. Which likely means exacerbating the long term economic woes of the states that had led to these cuts in the first place.
Something so obvious to me that I'm amazed that half the country fails to understand this.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Probably not.... most of the schools in the Big 10 and ACC are probably in the same situation.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

The Big 10 schools are also up to their (rears) in alligators. The budgetary kind.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

So true; the same thing here in South Carolina. Our rural schools are a national disgrace and funding to higher education continues to get cut.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Our schools nationally have been abysmal compared to most countries around the world- no matter how much more money we throw at the problem. Tenure might be an issue to review. I would prefer to reward good and great teachers. And not reward teachers that are not successful in the class room. Don't our children deserve effective teachers. Don't we as taxpayers deserve to have some say over who we pay to teach the future leaders and generations of this country. $$$ alone won't fix this. This system will never chg unless there is a huge internal chg- which will never ever happen. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How can I get an image off my cell phone to post here?
You can email the photo to yourself, save the photo on your hard drive, then upload to the Boneyard. Let me know if you need more specific help.

Reaction Score

I don't think the average American can get much dumber, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom