Selfish | The Boneyard

Selfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He was called selfish. Would he play for his pro prospects or for the team? Could he live in Bazz's shadow?

The non-story guard on the non-story championship team that couldn't crack the lead headline until after it was all done. The one who didn't fit the easy Kemba's run redeux story.

Yes Deandre's offense picked up and yes Bazz was spectacular and the free throw exhibition was all time special. But defense, again, won us a national championship and that's not a sexy storyline.

The single most important contributor to this championship is below. The Show became the Glove, and that was that.

KRT-SPORTS-BKC-FINALFOUR-15.jpg

Reaction Score
When I watched "One Shining Moment", I literally got tears of joy in my eyes because I was that happy for Boat. He has been my favorite player since he arrived, and he has busted his ass to be a much better and more complete player. He is on the national radar now and a great senior season could secure his place in the NBA.

He still drives me nuts when he has to gather to jump off 2 feet on a breakaway, but that's nothing compared to everything positive he contributed this season.

pj

Reaction Score
Boat was awesome. Not only did he play terrific defense for 40 minutes, he was extremely efficient and productive. He shot 5-6 from the floor, 4-4 on free throws, 4 rebounds, only 2 personal fouls. I was really, really impressed by his play.

When he came in he was a tremendous scorer one-on-one who in the team game could be neutralized by lengthy athletic defenders. He's become a tremendous player who does everything including scoring when we need him to.

Can't wait to see him play next year as the team leader.

Reaction Score
He was called selfish. Would he play for his pro prospects or for the team? Could he live in Bazz's shadow?

The non-story guard on the non-story championship team that couldn't crack the lead headline until after it was all done. The one who didn't fit the easy Kemba's run redeux story.

Yes Deandre's offense picked up and yes Bazz was spectacular and the free throw exhibition was all time special. But defense, again, won us a national championship and that's not a s e xy storyline.

The single most important contributor to this championship is below. The Show became the Glove, and that was that.

Awesome post, the transformation Boat has made is probably the best I've ever seen from a UConn player in a short amount of time. He was just as important as Bazz in the postseason, he's one of my all-time favorite Huskies.

Reaction Score
You're right, no single player on this team sacrificed more than Boatright. He's a kid capable of putting up 15+, but on Monday night, he took six shots (making five of them). The people who were calling him selfish earlier in the year probably feel awfully silly.

Reaction Score
I've never seen a kid seemingly flip a switch overnight and become a different player. Yes, he had improved his decision-making etc. during the regular season but the Boatright we saw during the tournament was an absolute terror. No question they don't win six straight if he wasn't playing at the level he was. And that defense? You've got Jay Williams calling him the Gary Payton of college basketball. Who the ____ would have said that two months ago?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I've never seen a kid seemingly flip a switch overnight and become a different player. Yes, he had improved his decision-making etc. during the regular season but the Boatright we saw during the tournament was an absolute terror. No question they don't win six straight if he wasn't playing at the level he was. And that defense? You've got Jay Williams calling him the Gary Payton of college basketball. Who the ____ would have said that two months ago?

It was almost like he was pulling a Spurs and pacing himself.

He went 16-16 from the FT line in his last 4 games, btw. And that pull-up, raise-up jumper? Automatic.

Everything just clicked.

Reaction Score
I have liked Boat from day one. I love his attitude and unwavering toughness. And the day that little dude with his mad hops does a 360 dunk on a break away I will cry like a little girl (can picture him corkscrewing upwards for what will seem like minutes).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was awesome. I sure hopes he sticks around for his senior year. I'd love to see how much more he would grow as a player/leader with another year with KO.

Reaction Score
He was awesome. I sure hopes he sticks around for his senior year. I'd love to see how much more he would grow as a player/leader with another year with KO.
If he stays I wonder if he can get stronger and gain maybe 10 pounds, and then of course make his 3's a little more consistent, help his shot at the pros. Was AI bigger?

Reaction Score
If he stays I wonder if he can get stronger and gain maybe 10 pounds, and then of course make his 3's a little more consistent, help his shot at the pros. Was AI bigger?

AI was about Kemba and Bazz's height with much, much longer arms, he was built freakishly. Boat isn't 6'0" in sneakers, those guys are.

Reaction Score
Jerome Dyson was and will always be one of my favorite players. I think his legacy would be thought of a lot differently and perhaps much like Boat's will be now had he not unfortunately gotten hurt and instead helped lead that '09 team to a title. I see a lot of parallels between he and Boat. Both in how tough they were/are and how much they were/are maligned by many of the people on this board.

Reaction Score

Yes Deandre's offense picked up and yes Bazz was spectacular and the free throw exhibition was all time special. But defense, again, won us a national championship and that's not a s e xy storyline.

Amen

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder where that defensive intensity was BEFORE the post-season! But, who cares, Boat brought it when it mattered and brought us to the promise land. He was INCREDIBLY efficient on offense in the title game. He had 2 bad mental lapses that resulted in turnovers, but that can be forgiven for his tremendous D the rest of the game.

If he can continue to be efficient on offense and bring that kind of defensive intensity consistently next year, watch out America, because we could have the best backcourt in the country AGAIN.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Having Ricky Moore on staff probably had a little something to with Boat's defense, but all credit to the kid for absorbing the lessons!

Reaction Score
boat was simply amazing, but for me, my all time favorite guy is Taliek, he was a tank, loved that guy, Kemba is a close second.

and to think boat almost ended up at WVU, he decommitted after t
WVU added a verbal from hinds/ who we also offered, funny how things work out, where would we be without boat? Hate to think about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom