Selection Show Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Selection Show Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I get it , of course there's nerves and yes, the bracket ( East region ) is probably the toughest but if UConn pulls this off , it should go down as one of the top 5 or so all time team accomplishments. Let's go Huskies ! To all you fans , enjoy the ride , the nerves , the celebration , the highs and lows . This team will be tested but they're ready. Let's do this !!

Reaction Score
FAU has some bad losses, but they also have a better OOC win than any BE team except UConn in Arizona.

Michigan State? The Baylor win is doing them a favor still. Better than any of the bubble teams.

I'd have dropped Virginia over either of those teams. I just think they screwed themselves with bad losses, and DePaul/Georgetown being as bad as they were also hurt all the bubble teams (but clearly not the Top 3).
Whatever the BE lacked in OOC compared to those teams they made up for in conference. By a lot, especially Seton Hall

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
nit committee is cooking. most of these games rule. lets gooooo.

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Reaction Score
It's even more insane Auburn is a 4 seed.

We got the three other hottest teams in the country who won the Big 10 tournament, Big 12 tournament, and the SEC tournament.
I'm very late to the party...been a busy day, but it seems like the committee decided all the top 4 seeds before the conference tournaments had been decided. Auburn, Illinois nor Iowa State were expected to win their conference tournaments, but they're all flaming hot heading into the NCAA tournament. Oh, and all from the 3 conferences that got the most tournament bids.

Maybe it's me, but I why would anyone put 4 of the hottest teams from the top 4 conferences in the same region where only two can get to the Elite 8 and 1 to the Final 4? Did any of these 4 teams get rewarded for their achievements of playing their best hoops when it counted most?

With all that said, I believe UConn has been the best team all season long. If they play their A game, no one is going to stop them from repeating. If they play a B game along the way, they still might achieve that. No matter how hard the path might be, it's going to be a journey well earned, proving their greatness. Bring 'em on!

Reaction Score
It is not inconceivable that Villanova choking through the Big 5 games cost the conference not one but two bids.
It’s horrible that we have to kinda root for Georgetown, and essentially Cooley, to be at least respectable.

Reaction Score
So in addition to sleeping through the conference tourneys and misranking ISU, Illinois, and Auburn, they also gave us the 2 best 5 seeds and made one of them a 6 for fun?
We don't have to play all teh teams in our bracketm giving us teh bast 5 seed helps as they might knock off our 4 seed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fair enough.

I guess I just don’t care about the brackets. I don’t need justification and I don’t care who we play.
One of the few things you've said right.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
are they actually giving regional preferences down the line in 1-16 order? If so, I can understand how it shook out the way it did.

If that is the case, it seems that Auburn chose the East over West as their regional preference (as the only two regions remaining at their seed of #15 overall).

Because just based on seeding you would have expected us to get Bama as the #16 overall.
I think anyone that ended up in our region would have chosen a different region if they could have.

Reaction Score
Matt Norlander's ranking of all teams in the NCAA Tournament 1-68 with a brief write up of each team.

1. UConn
A locomotive screaming down the tracks. The 31-3 reigning national champions enter this NCAA Tournament as the strongest team with the best chance to repeat of any squad since Florida in 2007. Dan Hurley's Huskies are led by All-American guard Tristen Newton (15.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.0 apg), who holds the school record for triple-doubles. In the middle is 7-foot-2 "Cling Kong," Donvan Clingan, a menace of a defender and the type of player you can't simulate in practice. The Huskies boast the nation's most efficient offense (126.6 points per 100 possessions, via KenPom.com) and overwhelm teams in a variety of ways. Sophomore Alex Karaban (39.5%) and senior Cam Spencer (44.4%) are both outstanding 3-point shooters. The Huskies have been beaten by Kansas, Seton Hall and Creighton, but all of those were road games, and there are no more road games left this season. UConn will try to become the fourth No. 1 overall seed to win the national title, joining 2007 Florida, 2012 Kentucky and 2013 Louisville.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The BE would have gotten 4, but bid thieves. None of these schools helped themselves OOC.

Marquette dropped games to Purdue and Wisconsin
Creighton dropped games to Colorado State and UNLV
St. John's lost to Michigan, Dayton, and Boston College
Seton Hall lost to Rutgers, USC, Iowa and Baylor
Villanova lost to Penn, Saint Joe's, Kansas State and Drexel

Those were the 2-6 seeds in the conference. Marquette's losses are fine. The rest are pretty horrific. You flip: Wisconsin, UNLV, Michigan, Boston College, Rutgers, USC, Penn, Saint Joe's, Drexel—all games the respective teams should have won—and the Big East has 6 teams.

This is on the teams that didn't get in. They had chances. I do think St. John's should be in over a school like Michigan State, but this isn't the great injustice the board is making it seem. Bad OOC and 5 bid thieves.
Big East was the 2nd toughest league. ACC and Big Ten teams on the bubble got props for beating teams like Northwestern because they got in. BE teams had wins devalued because the shell game worked against them. Those mid tier BE teams beat each other up and that hurt them. But that happened in other leagues and it was perceived differently.

Texas is a 7 seed. Lost almost every game they played against a good team. So you’re saying their 1 point win over Louisville is what gets them in? Because they didn’t lose? That tells me they suck.

I don’t get the criteria. They used to say, who did you beat and excused bad losses. Now it seems if you had no bad losses and almost no good wins you’re in. It’s bizarre. Providence is better than several teams that got at large bids. Texas did play two tough OOC games and got curb stomped by Big East teams.

Reaction Score
Whatever the BE lacked in OOC compared to those teams they made up for in conference. By a lot, especially Seton Hall
You need to perform well OOC for those games to matter. Further, they didn't do well against the top of the league.

vs. the Top 3
Seton Hall went 2-4
St. John's went 1-6
PC went 4-4 (actually pretty solid!)
Villanova went 1-6

Not going to do it. PC has more of a complaint there, but has other warts.

Reaction Score
Big East was the 2nd toughest league. ACC and Big Ten teams on the bubble got props for beating teams like Northwestern because they got in. BE teams had wins devalued because the shell game worked against them. Those mid tier BE teams beat each other up and that hurt them. But that happened in other leagues and it was perceived differently.

Texas is a 7 seed. Lost almost every game they played against a good team. So you’re saying their 1 point win over Louisville is what gets them in? Because they didn’t lose? That tells me they suck.

I don’t get the criteria. They used to say, who did you beat and excused bad losses. Now it seems if you had no bad losses and almost no good wins you’re in. It’s bizarre. Providence is better than several teams that got at large bids. Texas did play two tough OOC games and got curb stomped by Big East teams.
Texas A&M is the "who did you beat and excused bad losses" team from the bubble this season. It was interesting they got bumped up to a 9 seed.

Reaction Score
You need to perform well OOC for those games to matter. Further, they didn't do well against the top of the league.

vs. the Top 3
Seton Hall went 2-4
St. John's went 1-6
Villanova went 1-6

Eehh FAU doesn’t have 2 wins as good as vs UConn and vs Marquette. The AAC sucks

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’ll

Was at MSG for the Michigan State game, in a seas of MSU folks. Couldn't find them at the end of the game.
Sparty fans are the biggest on the face of the Earth.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

vs. the Top 3
Seton Hall went 2-4
St. John's went 1-6
Villanova went 1-6

PC with the most Q1 wins of any team ever left out. They lost the game Hopkins was hurt in, and the next 3 before figuring out how to play without him.

If the reality is that soft scheduling and not losing any games is now the ticket, that’s what you’ll get more of. It used to be teams were rewarded even if they lost some tough games.

Reaction Score
Eehh FAU doesn’t have 2 wins as good as vs UConn and vs Marquette. The AAC sucks
FAU played some tough teams OOC (NCSOS 40) and Seton Hall didn't. FAU beat Arizona out of conference. Seton Hall's best OOC win is maybe Monmouth? They lost to Iowa, Baylor, USC, Rutgers. They beat Mizzou, but everyone did. The rest of the teams they played were awful (NCSOS 242). If they beat St. John's rather than getting beat by 20, they're probably in the tournament. They were two bid stealers away from being in Dayton as it is.

Reaction Score
PC with the most Q1 wins of any team ever left out. They lost the game Hopkins was hurt in, and the next 3 before figuring out how to play without him.

If the reality is that soft scheduling and not losing any games is now the ticket, that’s what you’ll get more of. It used to be teams were rewarded even if they lost some tough games.
It wasn't murderer's row for PC in OOC and they got waxed by Oklahoma, in addition to losing to Kansas State. They did beat Wisconsin, but the rest is not a good OOC. They could have just beaten up those teams and been fine. But instead they only won by like 10 and 15 and lost to some other bubbly teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom