Selection Show Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Selection Show Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posts and comments like yours assume this plays out to chalk. And it never ever ever does. Two days in your bracket will be an abstract art piece of red x’s and this conversation will be even more meaningless than it is right now, guy.
You should take it up with Jay bilas and his co hosts on espn. But they probably don’t know anything either. The facts are that ALL of the pundits I’ve seen say UConn has the hardest bracket. Which by definition should not be the case if you’re the overall number 1 seed. Not balanced. Nope.

Reaction Score
WTH is the committee head talking about that they placed the teams in UConn's bracket who were closest to Brooklyn in terms of mileage.

Good god man, find a map.

Iowa St. is not closer than Tennessee
Illinois is not closer than Kentucky
Auburn is not closer than Duke

Find a damn map

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cripes. North Carolina got Arizona, Baylor and Alabama as their 2-4.

Baylor lost 10 games. Alabama lost 11. Both lost by double digits in the conference tourney. Arizona limped home and lost to a not-even-on-the-bubble Oregon team in the PAC 12.

Seems crazy that the worst 1 by a mile has the softest regional.

Don't look at Purdue's bracket.

Reaction Score
We were born underdogs. This toughest region crap just plays into our programs history and storyline. We will play each game like we are the lower seed. It's us against the world. No surprises, just hard work.

Reaction Score
What a pathetic performance from the committee. We don't need an expanded tournament we need competent people who watch basketball involved in the selections.
Why is committee even needed? Computers are really good taking inputs, running algorithms and producing unbiased results. We’re doomed.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
But the Big 10 is not favored by the committee. They went out found every team that would match up well with UConn. Auburn, Iowa State and Illinois. Not to mention a Northwestern team who has one major strength shooting. But this is where mojo comes in. This happens year in and year out. UNC bracket is a joke. But by now we should be used to it. Let’s go get it and then give the ncaa the middle finger.At least this year when we win it no one can say we had an easy path. Dr Charles McClelland not my favorite person. Oh my goodness his explanation was a complete non answer with a smirk on his face. To all those on this board who roasted me when I said the committee had a Big 10 bias. Keep on living in your make believe world.

Last edited:

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
You're a joke. The Big East is the second toughest conference overall. The idea that UConn wasn't tested playing in the Big East is incredibly dumb
second toughest? looks more like 7th to me.
GI6BoF2WgAAbgfi

Reaction Score
i didnt understand a single thing that goober tried to explain. what does parity w/in 5 pts mean?
They make a "true seedlist". Basically a ranking of the teams in this set of 4 seeds (1 seeds - 4 seeds).

Then they slot the teams into regions based on geography (and avoiding conference duplicates in each region where able for the first few teams from each conference within top 4 seedlines so no Marquette or Creighton in UConn's bracket for example) going in order of the seedlist. So #1 team "picks" their region, then #2 "picks" etc. On though #16.

Then they re-check how the regions fare by adding up the "true seedlist" of the top 4 seeds. So we have #1 + #8 + #12 + #15. = 36.

All the other regions have to be within 5 of 36 for them to consider it fair.

Reaction Score
You should take it up with Jay bilas and his co hosts on espn. But they probably don’t know anything either. The facts are that ALL of the pundits I’ve seen say UConn has the hardest bracket. Which by definition should not be the case if you’re the overall number 1 seed. Not balanced. Nope.

And I guarantee you if you went back to last years selection show they were wrong about 99% of what they said.

Again. You are being blinded by chalk. And you really know nothing about the actual process. You’re punching in the dark.

Reaction Score
They make a "true seedlist". Basically a ranking of the teams in this set of 4 seeds (1 seeds - 4 seeds).

Then they slot the teams into regions based on geography (and avoiding conference duplicates in each region where able for the first few teams from each conference within top 4 seedlines so no Marquette or Creighton in UConn's bracket for example) going in order of the seedlist. So #1 team "picks" their region, then #2 "picks" etc. On though #16.

Then they re-check how the regions fare by adding up the "true seedlist" of the top 4 seeds. So we have #1 + #8 + #12 + #15. = 36.

All the other regions have to be within 5 of 36 for them to consider it fair.
Now that all being said, the problem with this is that it's based on their seedlist. if they underseed several teams in your region, you can get screwed. If they have Iowa State as the last 2 instead of the best 2 and Auburn as the 3rd 4 instead of the best 4 because they ignore the last 2 days of results, you then are off by 6 parity points from reality.

Reaction Score
Committee chair cites bracketing principles as why UConn got tough road. I know it's true for Iowa St. I didn't go far enough down to see if it held for having to get Illinois and/or Auburn.
It's not true for Iowa St. Iowa St. isn't closer to Brooklyn than Tennessee.

Reaction Score
And I guarantee you if you went back to last years selection show they were wrong about 99% of what they said.

Again. You are being blinded by chalk. And you really know nothing about the actual process. You’re punching in the dark.
Agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog