Sedona Prince | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how CD would go about covering up all the tats Sedona has. This may become an issue someday when a fantastic prospect is covered in ink, but is hard to pass up. Something to think about.
I think folks need to get over the tats. They aren't diseases. I don't have any, but I don't draw any conclusions about those who do, except they are obviously not afraid of committing. Is there a safety issue?

sun

Reaction Score
Assuming that Geno did make Sedona a previous offer to accept her as a transfer which she turned down to go to Oregon in 2019, has any other player ever been offered to attend UConn a 2nd time after turning Geno down?

Of course there's always a first time, but what are the odds & where is the precedent?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Trouble in Oregon? PaoPao also enters portal.
That means Sedona Prince, Te-hina Paopao, and Endyia Rogers in the portal.; there may have been others. A couple of weeks ago, Paopao had tweeted that she was intent on staying at Oregon; something changed.

I recall how Kelly Graves gushed about Sedona after he signed her; whether injuries or other factors, she has not lived up to that high praise (which was before she'd ever played an actual game in college).

Reaction Score
Assuming that Geno did make Sedona a previous offer to accept her as a transfer which she turned down to go to Oregon in 2019, has any other player ever been offered to attend UConn a 2nd time after turning Geno down?

Of course there's always a first time, but what are the odds & where is the precedent?
Sarah Northway Maria comes to mind.

Reaction Score
First of all we have no indication that she is interested in UConn and vice versa. But if she is indeed interested I'm sure Geno and his staff will have a heart to heart discussion with her about what would be expected of her, both as a player and teammate, before any commitments are made on both sides. Having said that she'd be a great addition if it all worked out.
I believe she met with UConn several years ago and then made her decision to transfer out west.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen and heard, Geno really think next year will be a very good year for UConn WBB. He knows what is needed and missing for a NC. We have the best guards in Paige and Azzi.

Reaction Score
Except she doesn't consider herself a Center. Doesn't like physical play; doesn't like playing in the paint; and is not a good rebounder.
That may be, but if Uconn has any interest in her, Geno should make it perfectly clear if you come here you will be a C period. Both Ice and Jana could be considered 4's as much as 5's, but we need them more at the 5 and their opportunity for playing time is greater there.

She probably could play a high/low with Aaliyah as the low some, but on defense she would need to be the rim protector. She is a weak rebounder, no doubt about that, and if we just wanted another talented 4 Morrow would be a much better choice, but we probably have less need at the 4 than any other position.

Aaliyah is set there, and it is her best position. Aubrey played mostly wing this year but next could be used back at her best position where she has already proved herself to be a star backup. So if healthy great starter and backup, before even considering how we could use Ayanna, Ice, Jana or Caroline at that position.

Prince comes up short on some of the traits you would like to see in the type of C that would most fit our needs. She is a pretty good scorer and shooter, for a big has a good assist to turnover ratio, and a good but not great shot blocker. She is a very poor rebounder for her size, gets into foul trouble, and doesn't seem to have the ability to play major minutes.

If she had those traits without the potential baggage, and was the only C size talented player in the portal I think I would be mildly interested. With the baggage I have mostly lost interest, but I don't think it is a clear cut decision. It would be, however, if she said she didn't want to play C, that should end the conversation right there.

Reaction Score
No!! Geno needs to develop the players he has recruited and fans need to quit trying to make the perfect soup. UCONN is the type of program that has so much talent they lose on once in a while to the portal, not a program that needs to shop on it. They have AE and two others that are taller than 6'4 next year and quite frankly I don't think they will play a tall lineup.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if she ends up at UConn. I think that ship has probably sailed.

I don't know how she is in the locker room. I know she was a part of some social media drama regarding her personal life.

Whoever brings her in will be making a bit of a gamble, I think. Can she stay healthy and fit in with her new teammates? Doesn't seem like a chance UConn needs to take.

Reaction Score

Was an offer me to Westbrook before She went to Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Was an offer me to Westbrook before She went to Tennessee.
With Sedona not looking to play heavy minutes down low was that not the same situation with Azurá Stevens. I believe if Azura had stayed Connecticut would’ve won the 12th NC that year. she became much more willing to be a true Center and bang down low.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno, as he has always done, will sit down with CD and the rest of the staff and, given the imput, will made what he feels is the right decision. And guess what, he is more often than not correct.

Reaction Score
so with all the injuries and missed seasons, how much time does she have left? Has she fully recovered?
Sounds like a medical examinatin from any interested WBB program. If she is interested in
the WNBA, and she is, a solid year in a quality D I program is the right ticket for her.
What better medical support would she expect than that at our own UCONN WBB!!! OUCH!

Reaction Score
Originally I thought she was among a group of talented C's that experienced injuries their senior year, or just before the season started, that because they might not be recovered enough for the WNBA season, might be good candidates to enter the portal. Those included Prince, Lee from Kansas State, Soares from Iowa State, and Key from Tennessee. Later I had hopes Jackson from Kansas might be a candidate, but she returned to school, so now Prince might be the only high level portal C.

As I understand it, she applied for the draft and the portal, and would have to renounce her draft submission to use the portal. I believe she could do that but I'm sure there is a deadline for that too and I don't know what it is.

Regardless although I was initially interested, the more I learn about her the less interested I am, even if she was the only viable option. Seems too much like a me first type of player, who is very high maintenance, high drama, and a little too interested in social media. So as much as I am in the camp to seek out a good experienced true C so the youngsters don't have to be thrown into the fire their first year, if the only talented one in the portal is Prince, I think I would pass.
But she had the courage to call out the NCAA on the lack of equality between the Men's and Women's
NCAA National Tournament, i.e. the " weight room" controvery!! Go Sedona!! 6'7" truly a Big, big!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The big question I see withe bringing in either Sedona or Morrow is are these two worth slowing the development of Jana or Ice for one year. I say no.

We know Ice and Jana are going to get significant minutes next year. This is critical to their development and the team's development. These two are also members of the team. There is a bond that has developed. Is it worth risking that for one year?

Too many here are looking for a quick fix. There is no quick fix for development talent you have recruited and signed. Morrow is a forward, not a center. We have Aaliyah. We are fine there. Sedona is 6' 7". She has not shown much Oregon. Again, too many here are enamored with the big banger down low. Not worth the gamble.

Reaction Score
I don’t think she would be a good fit at UConn. At all.
I’m endorsing your statement, but will add that Sedona herself, may already know that she probably wouldn’t be a good match for UCONN. Maybe she learnt that during her last visit — during her separation period from Texas. And even though I don’t know the details of such visits, I think she met with the coaches, to learn about her potential new team/family. Basketball stuff, world view stuff, team spirit/relationship with team members, etc., might had been discussed. But, she chose the Ducks, over the Huskies. But then again, maybe she did fit in well with the Huskies, but wanted to be closer to home. However, now she realizes what could’ve been, and wants (and deserves) a second chance.

PS: I love that she’s got height that can’t be taught, but maybe needs the proper guidance to succeed. Geno or Dawn will be a good teacher for her. I’ll say Geno mainly bc Dawn already has a 6’7” in Cardoso.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I have no idea whether Prince would be a good fit or not, or would be needed or not. I do know some of the reasons given are off base.

It is generally true that posts take longer to develop, but not always. The reason is they have succeeded due to their size advantage and have not had to work as hard to get ahead until college, but there are exceptions. Dolson was one. Ranked around 30, her conditioning and athleticism was suspect for a post, but her skills and savvy were exceptional. She started as a freshman and, according to M. Moore should have won MOP for the BE tourney as a freshman instead of her.

Brady is ranked higher than Dolson was, probably due to more athleticism coming out of high school, but is also similarly exceptional for her skills and development as a post. Early reports were of excitement about her at UConn practices.

If Brady turns out to be a more athletic version of Dolson we do not need Prince. Thwarting the extent of her development to give Prince the starter’s role would not be necessary and possibly detrimental overall to the program. I do not know if this will be the case, though I suspect it must be one of the factors in Auriemma’s rosy assessment for next year.

Reaction Score
The big question I see withe bringing in either Sedona or Morrow is are these two worth slowing the development of Jana or Ice for one year. I say no.

We know Ice and Jana are going to get significant minutes next year. This is critical to their development and the team's development. These two are also members of the team. There is a bond that has developed. Is it worth risking that for one year?

Too many here are looking for a quick fix. There is no quick fix for development talent you have recruited and signed. Morrow is a forward, not a center. We have Aaliyah. We are fine there. Sedona is 6' 7". She has not shown much Oregon. Again, too many here are enamored with the big banger down low. Not worth the gamble.
I generally agree with this post. However.... this could be like the situation with Cardosa and South Carolina.
In that first year, that 6'7" lady was used sparingly (?) and gave a rest to the primary Center, Boston. So as an
insurance "add on" this might work at UCONN. If she ends up on the end of the bench that is her issue. I think
ICE is our CENTER for next year, with Jana getting time, and Sedona is 'insurance' or may some minutes.
coming off the bench against those TALL team ( e.g. TENNESSEE with Tamara Keys come to mind). I really don't know.
I do have some concerns about TEAM CHEMISTRY so I'm in agreement with those concerns.
We don't "need" a big this year (IMO). I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Reaction Score
No an offer wasn’t made to E. She was upset that UConn didn’t offer her
I believe that Geno stated that he didn’t offer her because he didn’t think that she would come CT from Oregon. Ohhh would could have been if Evina was in a Husky uniform her first two years…:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom