Second Unit Talk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Second Unit Talk

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Diarra is what he is. Bulldog defensively, can handle the ball, but during the practice he was forcing bad shots all over the place. My guess is he reprises his role from last season.
Yup. His minutes might come down to how fast Ball can get the defense down or not. I’m not sure what Diarra brings offensively that Ball wouldn’t already bring if that happens.

Reaction Score
I keep saying I think people are really sleeping on him

This... Watching vids you can tell he just knows how to play. He's got some Carmelo Lite vibes. Knows how to score even if it's not always that pretty.

Reaction Score
This will be a huge key to the season -- the second unit last year was extremely productive and that's going to be tough to replicate. Personally, I just don't know if we will get the same level of production this year from the subs as we got last year. Alleyne and, to a lesser degree, Calcaterra were proven, experienced productive college players. Now we are relying on Freshman (who appear to be more talented than Alleyne and Calcaterra) but it will most likely take time to get these guys up to speed. Also, while Samson appears to be a player, can he replicate Clingan (I hope so but doubtful)?

Reaction Score
Surprisingly didn’t hear a lot about Diarra from yesterdays scrimmage.

I think by the thick of Big East it’ll be:

Castle Newton Spencer Karaban Clingan
Ball Stewart Samson

Ross if it goes nine. Early reports indicate Stewart has more talent but also hearing from practice yesterday that Ross brings Jackson like heart and hustle on the defensive end. May be his way to buying early playing time.

I’d also be shocked if we weren’t trying to groom Ball to play PG. That’s what he’ll need to be to succeed at the next level and that’s what he played in HS.

Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. A lot of talent and skill to choose from and work with!
Am I missing something with Ball? I thought he was a 2/3 and don't think he really ever played much PG even in HS. He might end up guarding 1's since we have bigger PG's this year but not sure he'll ever be a PG regardless of his size

Reaction Score
Just asking is Ball a legit 6'3"? It will take time but he’s going to play some big minutes. Kids a baller. Gonna be a fun season riding our championship.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Am I missing something with Ball? I thought he was a 2/3 and don't think he really ever played much PG even in HS. He might end up guarding 1's since we have bigger PG's this year but not sure he'll ever be a PG regardless of his size
The services list him as a combo guard and he seemed to have good passing ability in his highlights.

Does the staff not play on developing him into a PG? I figured with his size and passing ability that’d be where he’d project best at the next level. He could have a Russell Westbrook kind of curve there. Think he played 2G at UCLA next to one of the Holidays.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It probably makes more sense for Solo to develop his 1 skills more than his 3 skills. At least if he wants to make it in the NBA. For us he probably plays more of a wing role.

Reaction Score
The services list him as a combo guard and he seemed to have good passing ability in his highlights.

Does the staff not play on developing him into a PG? I figured with his size and passing ability that’d be where he’d project best at the next level. He could have a Russell Westbrook kind of curve there. Think he played 2G at UCLA next to one of the Holidays.
That's fair, the Russell Westbrook comp isn't a bad one. I could be way off base here, I just haven't seen anything that makes me think he'd be a PG and with Castle, Newton, Diarra this year and Nowell coming in next year I hadn't really considered that as a possibility for him

Reaction Score
Just asking is Ball a legit 6'3"? It will take time but he’s going to play some big minutes. Kids a baller. Gonna be a fun season riding our championship.

I had to the opportunity to meet / interact with the players in person this past weekend and both Ball and Cam looked to be under 6'3 to me when I was standing and talking with them - Castle on the other hand seemed tall, taller that I had expected (taller than Tristen).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That's fair, the Russell Westbrook comp isn't a bad one. I could be way off base here, I just haven't seen anything that makes me think he'd be a PG and with Castle, Newton, Diarra this year and Nowell coming in next year I hadn't really considered that as a possibility for him
Perfect/ideal world. Ball is the 1st guard off the bench this year learning to occasionally handle the PG role. Won’t be a big need with Newton/Castle already having those duties but he can get his feet wet.

Next year Ball can takeover if Castle leaves early and Nowell is the 1st guard off the bench there like a Kemba, Bazz, Boatright, etc. They could play a lot together too like in all those cases.

Here’s a VERY lengthy and detailed breakdown of his game from his time at St James and AAU. Before Brewster. Makes it seem like he has the capabilities to handle PG duties. There’s not much film of his time at Brewster. Has Hurley spoken on what his role will be here?

Reaction Score
Perfect/ideal world. Ball is the 1st guard off the bench this year learning to occasionally handle the PG role. Won’t be a big need with Newton/Castle already having those duties but he can get his feet wet.

Next year Ball can takeover if Castle leaves early and Nowell is the 1st guard off the bench there like a Kemba, Bazz, Boatright, etc. They could play a lot together too like in all those cases.

Here’s a VERY lengthy and detailed breakdown of his game from his time at St James and AAU. Before Brewster. Makes it seem like he has the capabilities to handle PG duties. There’s not much film of his time at Brewster. Has Hurley spoken on what his role will be here?

Boy that is as thorough a review as I've ever seen. Shows how many aspects there are to a player's ability and specific things that can improve, that's where attention to detail coaches and players with right attitude can really improve players skills and game impact.

Reaction Score
I’d also be shocked if we weren’t trying to groom Ball to play PG. That’s what he’ll need to be to succeed at the next level and that’s what he played in HS.
Ball played 2G at Brewster (Jennings was starter and there was a backup that wasn't Ball) In AAU on Team Melo Carrington (Pitt Commit?) I believe was the primary ball handler. If he has played point guard, it was a while ago. With Newton, Castle, and Diarra, i doubt there will be lead guard minutes this year. Bringing in Nowell to be THE point guard of the future. It may be a more limiting path to the nba but Solo's game more resembles Alleyne as an attacking off guard (rewatching a number of games Alleyne handled the ball at times more than I recalled, but not really as a facilitator). Boat might be a decent above the rim attacking comp that handled the rock but wasn't a pure point.

Edit: Same point made by others that I didn't read before posting. Apologies

Reaction Score
Boy that is as thorough a review as I've ever seen. Shows how many aspects there are to a player's ability and specific things that can improve, that's where attention to detail coaches and players with right attitude can really improve players skills and game impact.
Amazing review. The gist of it is that he's going to be damn good for us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ball played 2G at Brewster (Jennings was starter and there was a backup that wasn't Ball) In AAU on Team Melo Carrington (Pitt Commit?) I believe was the primary ball handler. If he has played point guard, it was a while ago. With Newton, Castle, and Diarra, i doubt there will be lead guard minutes this year. Bringing in Nowell to be THE point guard of the future. It may be a more limiting path to the nba but Solo's game more resembles Alleyne as an attacking off guard (rewatching a number of games Alleyne handled the ball at times more than I recalled, but not really as a facilitator). Boat might be a decent above the rim attacking comp that handled the rock but wasn't a pure point.

Edit: Same point made by others that I didn't read before posting. Apologies
Yeah I was mistaken on Ball playing PG in HS. Thought he at least played it at St James.

If Boat was 6’3 with a 7’ wingspan he would’ve been a lottery pick. He also did take over PG duties after Shabazz left. I don’t think Nowell necessarily effects that either because he can come off the bench for his first year if need be. They can have a Kemba/Bazz kind of relationship where Kemba was very much so a scoring lead guard while Shabazz did a lot of the setup for him and got a lot of playing time still.

Don’t remember Alleyne passing the ball all that much to try and make that comparison outside of them having the same size. Would expect Ball to be much better there.

Reaction Score

Yeah he can't play the 1 on offense. He's really more suited as a 3 than a 2, but could pull off either. Not nearly a good enough ballhandler or passer. But he'll defend the 1 plenty if he's out there with Newton and Castle.

Reaction Score
Yeah he can't play the 1 on offense. He's really more suited as a 3 than a 2, but could pull off either. Not nearly a good enough ballhandler or passer. But he'll defend the 1 plenty if he's out there with Newton and Castle

Reaction Score
Probably no second unit given youth. Probably blends them in a few at a time with first unit. Different substitution pattern this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom