Seattle Storm @ Connecticut Sun - 7/20/18 | The Boneyard

Seattle Storm @ Connecticut Sun - 7/20/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I love watching Jordin Canada play. So much speed and energy. She’s sometimes out of control, but always competing.

Reaction Score
15-10 Sun end of first

C Ogwumike 8 pts, 6 reb, 1 ast

J Loyd 6 pts, 3 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk

Reaction Score
33-29 Sun at the half

Ogwumike 15 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast

Loyd 11 pts, 3 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both teams playing with alot of intensity and a Uconn like "hands up". Not alot of open shots. Ogwumike a beast in the post. Getting into All Star form.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice win for the Storm. I sort of thought that with Jas back, the Sun would get back to their early season form/success, but not so much. Seattle seems to be the class of the league at this point - but not by much. So much parity.

A few thoughts - rough night scoring for Stewie, but Bird picked up the slack and nice to see Loyd making better decisions on shot selection - she's shooting a nice % and being effective. Really strong quartet of Bird, Loyd, Howard and Stewie. Canada was an excellent pick up. I wish Russell was better - she has opportunities there, but seems to just not be good enough. I think Seattle needs a talented center/forward type to let Stewie and Howard roam around and not be planted in the post (not that they are now, just seems like what Seattle needs - not sold on Clark as the 5th starter)...

Reaction Score
Sue in post-game interview:

“There were a lot of Storm fans here tonight. I don’t know if they were UConn (smirk smirk). It felt like a home game tonight.”

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Nice win for the Storm. I sort of thought that with Jas back, the Sun would get back to their early season form/success, but not so much. Seattle seems to be the class of the league at this point - but not by much. So much parity.

A few thoughts - rough night scoring for Stewie, but Bird picked up the slack and nice to see Loyd making better decisions on shot selection - she's shooting a nice % and being effective. Really strong quartet of Bird, Loyd, Howard and Stewie. Canada was an excellent pick up. I wish Russell was better - she has opportunities there, but seems to just not be good enough. I think Seattle needs a talented center/forward type to let Stewie and Howard roam around and not be planted in the post (not that they are now, just seems like what Seattle needs - not sold on Clark as the 5th starter)...

I think Jonquel Jones would be a great fit in Seattle. Her and Stewart have similar inside out ability, and Jones would give them more size and rebounding than Howard. Trade Howard/Clark for Jones and Seattle could be the class of the league (even more than they are right now). Not sure what's been wrong with Jonquel this year, but I still think she has massive upside and could flourish in the right setting.

For the Sun...they're at high risk of missing the playoffs. Lots of good players but inconsistent ones. Thomas missing several games hurt them, and it appears they've had some off the court issues too. Chemistry just doesn't seem to be there this season.

Reaction Score
J. Thomas, A. Thomas and J. Jones are not the players they were last year. Not too late for a fresh start but they aren’t trending well. I anticipated this happening to J Thomas since most of her career she’s been an inconsistent player.
Laney and Tuck and Brown need minutes. Banham and J. Thomas not getting it done at the guard position

Reaction Score
Good intensity in the first half, but disappointing sloppy second half by the Sun. The fourth quarter was just messy. They missed some open shots too, but the turnovers were probably the most hurtful.

The one upside to a disappointing season is a higher draft pick next year (possibly even a lottery pick). What do the Sun need the most? Apart from Stricklen, they struggled shooting from 3 tonight. How about Katie Lou Samuelson next season? Who else might fill a distinct need?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
J. Thomas, A. Thomas and J. Jones are not the players they were last year. . .

Alyssa and Jasmine were earlier. I was watching last night and thinking maybe they brought A back from her shoulder injury too soon. I also feel like Alyssa and Chiney are still figuring out how to play together.

Reaction Score
The one upside to a disappointing season is a higher draft pick next year (possibly even a lottery pick). What do the Sun need the most? Apart from Stricklen, they struggled shooting from 3 tonight. How about Katie Samuelson next season? Who else might fill a distinct need?

Let’s get a little analytical here. Last season, the Libs and the Sun were the #3 & #4 seeds in the playoffs. This year the Libs have totally collapsed and the Sun are kinda collapsing. They seem to be only slightly better with the return of Alyssa Thomas, and it doesn’t seem like the Bentley trade has really favored them, but they’ll get that extra second round pick next year, something they really shouldn’t need because this team is already loaded with talent. If the Aces were to catch the Sun and knock them out of the playoffs, the Sun would be pretty much locked into odds of 75% of getting the #4 pick. Those are odds that are difficult to beat. Now if the Sun were able to make the playoffs as a #8 seed, they’d still get the #5 pick in the draft. That seems like the best of both worlds considering the situation. You’re in the playoffs where anything can happen, and you also get a very high pick. Not a lot of difference between the #4 & #5 picks in the 2019 draft, and you have Amber Stocks picking ahead of you. Will KLS be available at the #5 pick? Depending on what kind of senior season she has, probably not, but there is a lot of first round depth in this draft. They should be able to find somebody to take Laney or BJ’s spot, if that’s what they want to do.
Since the Sun have already have plenty of depth on the team, I wonder if they might consider trading their 2019 first round pick to a team that could be desperate right away for another first round pick, like Indy, Chicago, or the Liberty. Parlay that 2019 first round pick into a 2020 first round pick and get an extra ticket into the Ionescu lottery. Might not be a bad strategy for the Sun.

Reaction Score
Let’s get a little analytical here. Last season, the Libs and the Sun were the #3 & #4 seeds in the playoffs. This year the Libs have totally collapsed and the Sun are kinda collapsing. They seem to be only slightly better with the return of Alyssa Thomas, and it doesn’t seem like the Bentley trade has really favored them, but they’ll get that extra second round pick next year, something they really shouldn’t need because this team is already loaded with talent. If the Aces were to catch the Sun and knock them out of the playoffs, the Sun would be pretty much locked into odds of 75% of getting the #4 pick. Those are odds that are difficult to beat. Now if the Sun were able to make the playoffs as a #8 seed, they’d still get the #5 pick in the draft. That seems like the best of both worlds considering the situation. You’re in the playoffs where anything can happen, and you also get a very high pick. Not a lot of difference between the #4 & #5 picks in the 2019 draft, and you have Amber Stocks picking ahead of you. Will KLS be available at the #5 pick? Depending on what kind of senior season she has, probably not, but there is a lot of first round depth in this draft. They should be able to find somebody to take Laney or BJ’s spot, if that’s what they want to do.
Since the Sun have already have plenty of depth on the team, I wonder if they might consider trading their 2019 first round pick to a team that could be desperate right away for another first round pick, like Indy, Chicago, or the Liberty. Parlay that 2019 first round pick into a 2020 first round pick and get an extra ticket into the Ionescu lottery. Might not be a bad strategy for the Sun.

If they were not to make the playoffs, then clearly the current make up isn't good enough and why would you want to give up a lottery first round pick in a loaded draft? Doesn't make sense

Reaction Score
Alyssa and Jasmine were earlier. I was watching last night and thinking maybe they brought A back from her shoulder injury too soon. I also feel like Alyssa and Chiney are still figuring out how to play together.
I think you're right about Alyssa being brought back too soon. She seems to me to be tentative, not attacking the basket with the intensity she had before her injury.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Also, some nice pics from Ian Bethune [HERE].

Like this one.

2018_7_20SeattleStormConnecticutSun029.JPG

Caption. Let's show 'our' fans what UConn basketball look like. Oh. Sorry Jewell, Crystal, you guys can join in the fun. ;)

Reaction Score
I think you're right on their play earlier in the year. I can't figure Chiney out. Still not sure how much she's helping.
That was great. "You have Amber Stocks picking ahead of you" her stare when she's coaching standing on the sidelines is something. I'm still not sure if she's just focused or completely hypnotized.

Reaction Score
If they were not to make the playoffs, then clearly the current make up isn't good enough and why would you want to give up a lottery first round pick in a loaded draft? Doesn't make sense

Yes, I'm not sure what they would be trading next year's first-round pick for.

It's been a season of upheaval for the team - adding Chiney and figuring out how to use her, JJ and Alyssa together; JJ's late arrival and inconsistent play; Alyssa's injury; whatever happened between Courtney and Alex; trading Alex for Layshia. I'm eager for them to redevelop their chemistry, see what they can do with what they have, and figure out their needs going forward.

It's no fun losing, but more than anything I hope they're still enjoying playing together and believing in themselves & each other. Let's go Sun!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom