Seatle Minny game thread? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seatle Minny game thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Minny wins by the skin of their teeth ...!!!

Will have to see the replay on Jackson's shot, OK here it is -- looked like Jackson faded away so not much if any contact. She just didn't hit it.

WHEW :D
surprised that Adler went to Jackson - she has not shot well all game, and in the past games

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Is it just me, or was that an incredibly poorly managed timeout at the end by Seattle? Could have/should have taken it earlier, didn't seem like the play that was ultimately run was all that close to what was drawn up.

well, if we are going to second guess, I think that they let too much time off the clock. then again, they may have planned it this way to gt the last shot of the game. Gamble. there is always a winner and a loser. this time was not their time

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
surprised that Adler went to Jackson - she has not shot well all game, and in the past games

The play was called for Sue to get the shot. She was open but Jackson either didn't see Sue or didn't think she had enough time to pass her the ball. I tend to think Lauren had her mind up to shoot. It reminds me of that video on Sue's leadership when she yells at Lauren Jackson in a huddle: "Lauren, if a play is called, run it." I wonder if this was another example of that. Oh well. Great effort by Seattle and I agree with a post by Scotter a few weeks ago: Sue Bird has made more clutch shots than any player in the history of women's basketball. Too bad she didn't get a chance to make another.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was a really exciting game but i have to say, I've not been impressed by Minny. They literally have no post game. Brunson seems to be really good at the mid range game, but they way they played lately vs. the way LA has played, I'd say LA wins in 4.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was a really exciting game but i have to say, I've not been impressed by Minny. They literally have no post game. Brunson seems to be really good at the mid range game, but they way they played lately vs. the way LA has played, I'd say LA wins in 4.

Taj definitely showed her age in this series and LA's post players are more mobile than Seattle's. If Whalen's wrist is as bad as it looks, the Lynx could be in big trouble.

Reaction Score
LA could certainly win especially with Whalen's injury, but I think it is a different series. Seattle also deserves some credit. Even banged up that is a championship proven group basically top to bottom, and the core of a group that dominated the league just two seasons ago.

Taj definitely showed her age in this series and LA's post players are more mobile than Seattle's. If Whalen's wrist is as bad as it looks, the Lynx could be in big trouble.

Reaction Score

Agreed!
1. Minnesota was very lucky to escape with tonight's win. On that last play, Minnesota's defense broke down yet again. Monica Wright was nowhere close to Sue Bird; got picked off early; not only did not see the obvious pick coming, Taj was not looking at the play to call the pick. No communication. Had LJ waited a second, she would have found a wide open, clutch Sue Bird open for a 15 footer.
2. If Kristi Tolliver dominates her matchup with Lindsay Whalen(as I fear), then LA will advance.
3. Minnesota does not look as dominant as they have throughout the season for reasons I cannot put my finger on. Maybe it's merely because it is the playoffs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Storm has a bunch of tough vets. They were not going down without a fight.

Sue had 19 and 11. LJ again shot the ball poorly. I like the odds with Sue taking the shot. Anyone who gets her name in a book title really is clutch.

Repeating is not easy. Let's see how tough the Lynx are. They may need their A game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LA could certainly win especially with Whalen's injury, but I think it is a different series. Seattle also deserves some credit. Even banged up that is a championship proven group basically top to bottom, and the core of a group that dominated the league just two seasons ago.

Yes, and it's easy to overlook how tough Seattle is defensively, more so than LA.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Minny does not have the option of rotating in players with extra length as they did last year. Adair became a very significant player for them off the bench last year and Amber was starting to give some good minutes this year as well.

Adair had a knee injury in June that set her back hugely and she is visibly out of shape compared to last year. Amber broke her hand(?) earlier this year and now reportedly has mono so I'm not sure if she is available at all. Not that she was dominating but there were games this year where she was able to partially neutralize opposing bigs and get a few rebounds, depending on the matchup. IMO she would have gotten significant mins off the bench against Wauters in this series.

Dev has had good games but is smaller than either Jess or Amber and is not able to fill in at the 5 as well as the other two.

This all results in Taj getting too many minutes and she is showing wear and tear. The alternative is usually a small-ball lineup which can work well at times but which also gets exploited by experienced veteran squads like the Storm.

If Adair had not gone down this would be a much stronger team inside from quarter to quarter. To a lesser extent, same with Amber. As it is, Minny has much longer lapses inside where they get throttled for awhile before recovering.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The play was called for Sue to get the shot. She was open but Jackson either didn't see Sue or didn't think she had enough time to pass her the ball. I tend to think Lauren had her mind up to shoot. It reminds me of that video on Sue's leadership when she yells at Lauren Jackson in a huddle: "Lauren, if a play is called, run it." I wonder if this was another example of that. Oh well. Great effort by Seattle and I agree with a post by Scotter a few weeks ago: Sue Bird has made more clutch shots than any player in the history of women's basketball. Too bad she didn't get a chance to make another.

Thanks. I missed the huddle bit for that last play. I bet Sue would have pulled it off.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I missed the huddle bit for that last play. I bet Sue would have pulled it off.

You can watch Agler's huddle on the highlights of the game from wnba.com. However, I think this one is the fault of the in-bounder. I don't think the play was for Lauren to pass to Sue: the in-bonder should've waited to see if Sue was open off her cut. Lauren should've made the shot, though :)

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
You can watch Agler's huddle on the highlights of the game from wnba.com. However, I think this one is the fault of the in-bounder. I don't think the play was for Lauren to pass to Sue: the in-bonder should've waited to see if Sue was open off her cut. Lauren should've made the shot, though :)

Lauren could not make the shot because Brunson was all over her ---- up close and very disturbing. It was GREAT one v one defense.

Sue was late on her cut, and was not available for the inbound pass. Game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom