Season ticket holders parking | The Boneyard

Season ticket holders parking

Reaction Score
I can’t think of the name of the lot but it’s the one next to Gampel where season ticket holders buy a pass to park. Anyway, the last 2 games have been horrendous to get out. Previous to that, not so bad. But these last two games, we can’t figure out what is going on. We literally DID NOT MOVE AN INCH for about 25 minutes. This was on the 3rd floor. The game before, a similar thing happened and people started going up and exiting through the top after a while. Last night we had no choice and were stuck, just waiting and waiting. And waiting. We had to assume there is some kind of traffic issue outside the garage.

I’m not a whiner. I’ve sat in the Civic Center lot gridlock plenty of times back in the day. Just can’t figure what the problem is. I live 20 min from campus and I got home at 12:30 am last night.

Anyone here park on the lower levels and see what the bottleneck is? I understand cars backing out, etc. but like I said, at this game and the last one, we were inexplicably and immovably stuck for a crazy amount of time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Blow up Gampel and all its parking garages and rebuild them all.

Reaction Score
I can’t think of the name of the lot but it’s the one next to Gampel where season ticket holders buy a pass to park. Anyway, the last 2 games have been horrendous to get out. Previous to that, not so bad. But these last two games, we can’t figure out what is going on. We literally DID NOT MOVE AN INCH for about 25 minutes. This was on the 3rd floor. The game before, a similar thing happened and people started going up and exiting through the top after a while. Last night we had no choice and were stuck, just waiting and waiting. And waiting. We had to assume there is some kind of traffic issue outside the garage.

I’m not a whiner. I’ve sat in the Civic Center lot gridlock plenty of times back in the day. Just can’t figure what the problem is. I live 20 min from campus and I got home at 12:30 am last night.

Anyone here park on the lower levels and see what the bottleneck is? I understand cars backing out, etc. but like I said, at this game and the last one, we were inexplicably and immovably stuck for a crazy amount of time.
I have had the same experience the last 2 games. Sat for 15+ minutes without moving. Not a big deal as I am retired. 55 minute drive got us home at 12:35. Something must have changed getting people initially out of the garage.

Reaction Score
No huge deal, just wondering wt f. Thanks for the tip @Blue Blood . We go out via the back way (Jim Calhoun Drive past the ice rink) so exiting on the bottom was always handy. UNTIL NOW.

Reaction Score
Believe you are referring to the South Garage. Almost never parked in the garage, but used the pass to park in the surface lot adjacent to it on top of the hill. It’s an easy walk down to Gampel, but getting back up to the car could be problematic if you have mobility issues.
Still have nightmares about getting stuck for hours in a parking garage in the Bronx, so I avoid trapping myself in a parking structure whenever possible.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Problem was the two lots near the hockey arena were merging in along JC Way. I was on the lower level & got out of the garage OK, then got stuck & inched along from back side of Shenkman until those other lots cleared.

UConn needs to shut down 2-way traffic on JC Way & have 2 lanes of out-bound traffic from South Garage to Seperatist.(maybe to N. Eagleville & S. Eagleville. No on coming traffic or stop signs. Need to do this for 20-30 minutes post game.

Remember being amazed how UMich handled post game traffic. 8 lanes heading one way from staduim (past high school & golf course parking) to the highway a mile away. Very efficient

Reaction Score
The solution would simply be have both lanes out of garage used to leave instead of using only one and just have everyone in left lane take a left and right lane take a right. Instead they don't adjust traffic flows at all and you're stuck waiting for people to make a left out of Hilltop Apartments or pedestrians cross on road.

But it's been an issue for awhile at South Garage when games are sold out that you can't move for about 20 minutes minimum. I think there are remedies as noted above but have yet to see anyone look to alleviate. Would be great if they did as this would probably reduce folks from feeling necessary to leave before the game ends.

Reaction Score
Level 3 is probably the worst level to be on in south garage, not being close to either the lower or upper exit. The issue is exaggerated when "fans" leave with 2 minutes left in the game.

It would also be helpful if the police would let people take a right from JC Way onto Alumni Drive to get back to North Campus and exit that way. The same officer has been at that intersection for the last 2 games. Because people are crossing Alumni at that intersection, he is not allowing the right turn and forcing all cars down to Separatist. In games prior to that, I was able to take Alumni and zip onto Discovery Drive to Route 44 very quickly.

Shutting down two-way traffic probably wouldn't help or be feasible. There are dorms and student parking in the area. Also, there are still bottlenecks at Separatist Rd & S Eagleville and Separatist and N Eagleville.

Reaction Score
The solution would simply be have both lanes out of garage used to leave instead of using only one and just have everyone in left lane take a left and right lane take a right. Instead they don't adjust traffic flows at all and you're stuck waiting for people to make a left out of Hilltop Apartments or pedestrians cross on road.

But it's been an issue for awhile at South Garage when games are sold out that you can't move for about 20 minutes minimum. I think there are remedies as noted above but have yet to see anyone look to alleviate. Would be great if they did as this would probably reduce folks from feeling necessary to leave before the game ends.
You can't have people going right because there are too many pedestrians leaving Gampel. Isn't that corner usually closed for gamedays?

Reaction Score
You can't have people going right because there are too many pedestrians leaving Gampel. Isn't that corner usually closed for gamedays?
No I mean when you get to the back of campus.

Regarding pedestrians flow leaving garage is is impaired because they cross street in front of garage when walking to farther away lots.

Reaction Score
Problem was the two lots near the hockey arena were merging in along JC Way. I was on the lower level & got out of the garage OK, then got stuck & inched along from back side of Shenkman until those other lots cleared.
This would explain it!

Reaction Score
We were on level 3, North Garage, and sat for 25 minutes without moving. Then we noticed people backing up and getting out, which we then did. It was like a car broke down on level 3.

Reaction Score
I prefer to park in the lot by the police station and power walk up the hill. But I am only in my mid 60's , so this may not be for the old folks here.

P.S. I used to drive my late wife nuts when I park as far out as possible when shopping or dining. Free exercise. And people pay for gyms when there is free exercise everywhere.

Reaction Score

Same thing happened to me at the women’s Notre Dame game. I was just short of level 3 and figured I'd go out the top. Apparently a lot of people don't know about the top exit so it took at least 30 minutes before I could get by to get out that way. Unless someone is directing traffic it's this taking turns takes forever.

Reaction Score
Same thing happened to me at the women’s Notre Dame game. I was just short of level 3 and figured I'd go out the top. Apparently a lot of people don't know about the top exit so it took at least 30 minutes before I could get by to get out that way. Unless someone is directing traffic it's this taking turns takes forever.
I do know about the top but would rather exit the back way via JC Way. Thanks for your input, though! :)
I prefer to park in the lot by the police station and power walk up the hill. But I am only in my mid 60's , so this may not be for the old folks here.
I am also of the same age. Did tons and tons of walking (and running) to and from vast parking places both in Htfd & Storrs, Men & women, freezing our butts off, back in the day. Done with that.
We were on level 3, North Garage, and sat for 25 minutes without moving. Then we noticed people backing up and getting out, which we then did. It was like a car broke down on level 3.
We thought the same (the first time), that a car must have broken down. The second time, we figured it had to be traffic patterns outside the lot. The responses seem to confirm that.

I did send a complaint to the athletic office (I know....what a Karen) but maybe if enough people complain they will think about what can be done to improve the situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom