Search firm (not Neinas) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Search firm (not Neinas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I was using "genius" as a knock I'd double-check my reading before posting.

Since you need have this explained, I'll amend to "the talent pool FOR THOSE JOBS is much, much smaller". Clearer?
are you not a self proclaimed genius in your own mind? I wasn't sure what your point was, hence the question and not a statement. But thanks for clarifying.
to your comparison, I'm guessing you're not in the corporate world.
Here's a clue. Companies I've worked for don't just hire a "VP Logistics or whatever" by throwing out an ad. They target specific industries, experience level, recommendations, prior employers, etc. They may even look at associations, organizations, or specific affiliations. That pool of zillions, gets whittled down pretty quick.

Reaction Score
how much was jurich and how much was the situation? UofL was solid target for the Big12 so the ACC needed to react fast. CT is believed to be a target of one conference so there was no need to react immediately. And for now, that assumption seems to be true.
I'm sure Jurich helped the conversation and pumped up the university. But the ACC is not making a 30 year commitment to a school based on an AD that is gone within 5-10 years.
Conversely, if the ACC chose Uconn, does that make Jurich less of an AD?

Petrino won at Louisville, but was he considered a great hire? The guy has left more damage in his wake than a tornado ripping though a trailer park. Serious character flaws. Not sure Jurich would bang his chest touting that hire.

Jurich was lucky because of timing. The ACC was more concerned with football credibility and many schools were more concerned that FSU and Clemson would bolt in protest of adding CT. Jurich really didn't have to do all that much but perhaps convince a few ACC schools that it was palatable enough to be a member.

Reaction Score
As a rebuilding job it's a bigger challenge than most.

What really sucks is that in 2.5 years all of Edsall's decade-long work was virtually obliterated. At least we're not in trailers anymore

Reaction Score
What really sucks is that in 2.5 years all of Edsall's decade-long work was virtually obliterated. At least we're not in trailers anymore

It's not obliterated. Except for a loss in conference prestige, we still have the same advantages in resources and support.

The AAC is winnable conference for us. We will have our opportunity to excel and stand out with the right leaders and coaches.

Reaction Score
worked with many consultants. none were paid to make decisions. they were paid to provide valuable information on highly technical or detailed topics where their experience was critical.
they were paid for unbiased and dispassionate input into the decision making process. if i went to my leadership blaming some consultants for a bad decision they would replace me and the consultants.
the notion that todays managers use consultants to prevent accountability is not anything ive experienced in corporate america.
Man, that's fascinating. The whole notion of executive and board responsibility is built around the "reasonable business judgment" rule from a liability perspective. The consultant is used to defend a decision as being reasoned. What I see is highly paid executives using consultants to justify decision making, and when things go wrong they are quick to hide behind process. Take a look at Obamacare and you tell me what executives inside government have taken responsibility. Process does not equate to excellent business management just because there is a defensible process. I just fundamentally disagree.

Reaction Score
Man, that's fascinating. The whole notion of executive and board responsibility is built around the "reasonable business judgment" rule from a liability perspective. The consultant is used to defend a decision as being reasoned. What I see is highly paid executives using consultants to justify decision making, and when things go wrong they are quick to hide behind process. Take a look at Obamacare and you tell me what executives inside government have taken responsibility. Process does not equate to excellent business management just because there is a defensible process. I just fundamentally disagree.

Blame the lawyers for that. If you have a process, you can cover your ass. Tort reform can fix that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

You make a good point in that process =/= excellent business management, but you cannot on equate politicians to corporate executives. There are consequences in the real world (as real as the life of a top corporate Exec can be). If Ted Cruz were a VP at Apple and forced a 2 week shutdown because he didn't like the new i-Pod without the rear camera, he'd be fired on the spot. Since he's a Senator, he gets a 5 year reprieve. Since he represents Texas, he'll probably get re-elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom