OT: - Scottie Scheffler Arrested This Morning at Valhalla | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Scottie Scheffler Arrested This Morning at Valhalla

Reaction Score
Scottie Scheffler woke up this morning as the #1 professional golfer in the world, an internationally-respected role model, a brand-new first time father, a lifelong law-abiding citizen and a proven paragon of calm and constraint under pressure -- and two hours later he is arrested for assaulting a police officer.

Everyday common sense tells you there was something desperately wrong with law enforcement in this case. Until proven otherwise, this is still another instance of official power flexing its muscle because it can.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you mention “super religious”. Many “super religious” people are dicks, such as a few Catholic priests and some extreme terrorists.

Religion has nothing to do with this.
Self-identified "super religous" people are some of the worst people I've ever met in my life.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you mention “super religious”. Many “super religious” people are dicks, such as a few Catholic priests and some extreme terrorists.

Religion has nothing to do with this.
I don't know. Because a lot more religious people are good people with family values and live by an ethical code? Like Scheffler seems to be? But if you're angry on a message board today and want to paint him as a whacko pedophile? You do you.

Scheffler is a Christian. His sponsor for his confirmation in the Catholic Church was Rocky Hambric, founder of Hambric Sports, a sports management agency which has had Scheffler as a client since he turned professional. Scheffler attends Bible study with his caddie Ted Scott, who caddied for Bubba Watson for 15 years. When requesting Scott to be his caddie, Scheffler said "I really want to work with a Christian. That's how I try to live my life." Scheffler and his close friend Sam Burns co-host an annual retreat with members of the College Golf Fellowship, a faith-based ministry.
-------------------------------------------
Scheffler is guided by his Christian faith, about which he has become increasingly vocal. He spoke about it before the tournament started. About how he is not defined by his golf score or his success but rather his faith.

Inverse to the control he exerts over his game and emotions during tournaments, he has seemingly ceded control of everything else, both on and off the course.

"I believe that today's plans were already laid out many years ago, and I could do nothing to mess up those plans," Scheffler said Sunday after becoming the 10th golfer in history to win two green jackets in a three-year span. "I have been given a gift of this talent, and I use it for God's glory. That's pretty much it."

Reaction Score
Great ! The cop did his job . He thought he could do what he wanted because his celebrity status .
Listen you’re likely not going to find a more pro law enforcement person. BUT from the info avail sounds like the cop over reacted.

Reaction Score
Interesting that they left out "officer jumped on to a moving vehicle" and instead chose to say that he was dragged, insinuating that Scheffler ran him over.
Can a cop be charged with filing a false police report? Seems like there was at least 1 espn reporter that saw the whole thing.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Because a lot more religious people are good people with family values and live by an ethical code? Like Scheffler seems to be? But if you're angry on a message board today and want to paint him as a whacko pedophile? You do you.

Scheffler is a Christian. His sponsor for his confirmation in the Catholic Church was Rocky Hambric, founder of Hambric Sports, a sports management agency which has had Scheffler as a client since he turned professional. Scheffler attends Bible study with his caddie Ted Scott, who caddied for Bubba Watson for 15 years. When requesting Scott to be his caddie, Scheffler said "I really want to work with a Christian. That's how I try to live my life." Scheffler and his close friend Sam Burns co-host an annual retreat with members of the College Golf Fellowship, a faith-based ministry.
Scheffler is guided by his Christian faith, about which he has become increasingly vocal. He spoke about it before the tournament started. About how he is not defined by his golf score or his success but rather his faith.

Inverse to the control he exerts over his game and emotions during tournaments, he has seemingly ceded control of everything else, both on and off the course.

"I believe that today's plans were already laid out many years ago, and I could do nothing to mess up those plans," Scheffler said Sunday after becoming the 10th golfer in history to win two green jackets in a three-year span. "I have been given a gift of this talent, and I use it for God's glory. That's pretty much it."
Being religious doesn’t inherently make people good. Pretty simple thought.

Reaction Score
Interesting that they left out "officer jumped on to a moving vehicle" and instead chose to say that he was dragged, insinuating that Scheffler ran him over.
We don't know what happened. If Scheffler disobeyed orders and drove away he's at fault and should've been arrested. Someone died and the entire area is most likely a part of the crime scene.

Reaction Score
We don't know what happened. If Scheffler disobeyed orders and drove away he's at fault and should've been arrested. Someone died and the entire area is most likely a part of the crime scene.
Right there is more spin than a laundromat going on right now. Let’s see the body cam footage!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're missing the reports that he drove off with the officer holding onto his car, which is where the felony charge comes in.
I hear they frown on that

Reaction Score
You can spin this any direction you want, but without more eyewitness reports or video footage, it's difficult to dissect. Do I believe police can overreact (sometimes grossly)? Absolutely. On the other hand, if I ignored a police officer's instructions, and in doing so I put that officer in the hospital, I'm going to jail. And I'd still be there.

CL82

Reaction Score
The cop did this so he can tack on an assault charge. One of the dirty tricks they always like to pull
I know, right. Guy gets dragged by a car he really just needs to walk it off.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do we know if Scottie needs a lawyer? If so, I have a family member that once got two yutes off of a murder charge down in Alabama.
Two yutes?

Reaction Score
"How can we frame this in the worst way possible to not look like total idiots"
You can say the same for Scheffler and his lawyers. Maybe the cop was at fault, maybe Scheffler was at fault. What we do know is someone died. I've found these things usually don't go haywire if law enforcement and non law enforcement communicate with each other and listen to each other. The focus should be on the person who died and not making snap judgements.

20240517_105434.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm hardly a fan of the police, but I don't see what the cop did wrong her?

He didn't give a celebrity special treatment. Isn't that a good thing? Scheffler was a dick and deserved to be booked from what I've read. Haven't seen a video or anything, just going by reports.

What else do you expect to happen when you fail to stop for a signaling cop?

To be fair, I think golf is stupid and I've yet to meet a frequent golfer who isn't a gigantic tool. So that might be coloring my opinion
I'm with you mostly here. I do know some frequent golfers that are not gigantic tools. OR MAYBE that makes me one since I don't see it?

This might come as a surprise, I didn't put any real authentic feelings in my initial post. I would say I was poking fun at the weird situation....

Sorry for the confusion! GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
You can spin this any direction you want, but without more eyewitness reports or video footage, it's difficult to dissect. Do I believe police can overreact (sometimes grossly)? Absolutely. On the other hand, if I ignored a police officer's instructions, and in doing so I put that officer in the hospital, I'm going to jail. And I'd still be there.
Not in nyc.

Reaction Score
Right there is more spin than a laundromat going on right now. Let’s see the body cam footage!
Well we know that didn't break because they would have claimed it in the report for damages

Reaction Score
A couple weekends ago a block away from where I live a woman was hit by a driver who was speeding and disobeying traffic laws, the driver fled after critically injuring the pedestrian. It was a Saturday night and it happened directly in front of two bars that stand right across the street from each other...

The woman was in the middle of the street dying in front of all of us and people were making it about themselves, interfering with paramedics and cops, some even badmouthing the cops. Traffic was coming from all four directions, a woman was dying, and it was a crime scene so it was incredibly chaotic. Some motorists seemed aggravated it was taking a few minutes away from where they were going and I was worried a horrific scene was going to become even worse.

In any chaotic scene it's always best to approach as slowly as humanly possible, be respectful, and listen to instructions. Maybe the cop didn't provide any instructions and just decided to latch himself onto Scheffler's car or jump on the hood of his car. Maybe Scheffler didn't think he was a cop and thought he was event security so couldn't be bothered with listening to instructions. Who knows? There's a lot of scenarios and conclusions people jump to because they weren't there and people always seem to pick sides these days. I've found that if I try and be helpful and treat cops and or security with respect/simply listen to them things go really smoothly and there's mutual respect.

Reaction Score

Let's grant that Scheffler is a good person and that he attributes this to strong religious beliefs that provide a moral and ethical foundation for his life.

Your argument is that we should extrapolate from this one case to assert that being religious is sufficient to demonstrate that one is a good person, or even that there is a positive correlation on average with religiosity and being a good person? Come on.

Reaction Score
He got out that quickly with a charge of assaulting a police officer? I thought for sure that's one of those charges where they take their time processing so you can sit in a cell for a while, and you consider yourself lucky if they aren't less than careful with your transport.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He got out that quickly with a charge of assaulting a police officer? I thought for sure that's one of those charges where they take their time processing so you can sit in a cell for a while, and you consider yourself lucky if they aren't less than careful with your transport.
I'd venture a guess that a call from City Hall was made explaining the massive revenue and positive PR this event makes for Louisville and that call was not sugar-coated in sweet Southern charm.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd venture a guess that a call from City Hall was made explaining the massive revenue and positive PR this event makes for Louisville and that call was not sugar-coated in sweet Southern charm.

I would think (or worse yet, assume) there is a whole staff of security who are liaisons between the course/tournament and law enforcement. I think that was a critical failure in the link.

Now this is Chin being completely unrealistic. Very near after the accident which killed the pedestrian occurred, the tournament security team should have been notified, and a mass text message to all players should have let them all know there was/is an accident which will impact their commute in to the course and to proceed with caution. I do know there are apps the tour uses to communicate to players for critical things like tee times and other official communications so this shouldn't be a stretch.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom