SCORING (LACK OF) [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SCORING (LACK OF) [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, please tell me all the scoring contributors every game. Other than Griner, there is no one else. In fact, there is not ONE team that has scoring contributors every game. Players have off games.

Now, did you mean scoring threat? I think UConn is as deep as anyone in that regard.

And I'd like someone to explain how Mallory is such a scoring threat? More than Faris?
I was simplly saying that since huskies don't have an all american type player to go to, it needs to be done by commitee. Let's face it , if you've been watching the huskies for a long time you know this is not a great passing team or shooting team,compared to some others. At this time of the year teams are attacking everyone elses weeknesses. KF best season IMO was when she was sixth man off the bench. Usually that means the team is weaker, if that person is now starting. Especially since she is just not a scorer. It's already an admitted fact that other teams are not respecting her. After 3 years you are what you are.
It just bothers me when Geno says one thing, but does another. Honestly , it's just a game , but BS a BS--tter.

Reaction Score
So, please tell me all the scoring contributors every game. Other than Griner, there is no one else. In fact, there is not ONE team that has scoring contributors every game. Players have off games.

Now, did you mean scoring threat? I think UConn is as deep as anyone in that regard.

And I'd like someone to explain how Mallory is such a scoring threat? More than Faris?
So doggdaddy, hypothetically if KF or CD couldn't play for 2 games what would your lineup be? Just curious.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over a one point loss to a pretty good team? Good grief, what would happen if the Huskies lost more than 2 or 3 times a year, I wonder?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over a one point loss to a pretty good team? Good grief, what would happen if the Huskies lost more than 2 or 3 times a year, I wonder?
then we'd be Tennessee... ;) sorry, couldn't resist...

i think the question is a fair one, more or less (the original question). basically it means UCONN has very little margin for error this year. even last year with Maya, and a herculean effort by her in the final 4, UCONN was not able to win. it's called parity, and this year it's there. the next 3 years, not so much...!

so this year instead of having one superstar like Maya, Diana, Sue, Tina, or whoever, it's much more a consolidated effort. our defense is probably better than some of those former NC teams, and clearly one of the best defenses in the nation. but our offense is not. much more offense by committee... still, as some have pointed out, our offense is still up there and the amount of sharing and assists we stack up every game (and how spread out the assists are) is an indication of the team concept and sharing of the offense.

for the most part, the 3 we've seen have big games at different times have been Tiff, Bria, or KML. in a tie game with 10 seconds left, i'm not sure who Geno goes to for the last shot - maybe the person who had the hot hand in the 2nd half, maybe he tries for a point blank layup with Stef.

i'm not sure anyone can say "we've turned a corner", or "this is what to expect going forward". of our 8 player general rotation, 5 are freshmen or sophomores, and Caroline still has sore knee issues. some days you're the hammer, other days you're the nail.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I was simplly saying that since huskies don't have an all american type player to go to, it needs to be done by commitee. Let's face it , if you've been watching the huskies for a long time you know this is not a great passing team or shooting team,compared to some others. At this time of the year teams are attacking everyone elses weeknesses. KF best season IMO was when she was sixth man off the bench. Usually that means the team is weaker, if that person is now starting. Especially since she is just not a scorer. It's already an admitted fact that other teams are not respecting her. After 3 years you are what you are.
It just bothers me when Geno says one thing, but does another. Honestly , it's just a game , but BS a BS--tter.

No, you didn't simply say that at all. And while not scoring as mch as other years (by just a couple of points a game), they are still 6th in the country in scoring average.

Not a great passing team? Doesn't say much for the rest of the country if the leading assist team is not a good passing team.

Not a good shooting team? They are 3rd in the country in shooting percentage.

And believe it or not, they are 25th in 3 point percentage.

You can compare to prior Uconn teams and they stack up pretty good for a young team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So doggdaddy, hypothetically if KF or CD couldn't play for 2 games what would your lineup be? Just curious.
I'd move Lewis to the starting lineup, just as Geno has been doing when Caroline can't go.

Reaction Score
I'd move Lewis to the starting lineup, just as Geno has been doing when Caroline can't go.
Ok just curious. I'd go with KS. KML looked like a deer in headlights the other night.

Reaction Score
No, you didn't simply say that at all. And while not scoring as mch as other years (by just a couple of points a game), they are still 6th in the country in scoring average.

Not a great passing team? Doesn't say much for the rest of the country if the leading assist team is not a good passing team.

Not a good shooting team? They are 3rd in the country in shooting percentage.

And believe it or not, they are 25th in 3 point percentage.

You can compare to prior Uconn teams and they stack up pretty good for a young team.
Well excuse me for stating what I meant differently. My bad. Yes they are sixth in the country in scoring. And no, I don't think they are a great passing team , or they would be able to get the ball to the post much better. Geno himself has admitted that fact. So, you think a guard driven team that is 25th in country at treys is good? I can tell you are big on averages. There are tons of MLB players that have great averages but don't hit in big games. This team has padded it's shooting percentage because of turnovers turned layup points. And although there maybe a chance for more single upsets in this years tournament, hom many of those teams can really string 2 or 3 of them together? I still can't see anyone but the top 4 winning it all uless tournament committe does what it did last year. If you play the same team enough times anything can happen.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well excuse me for stating what I meant differently. My bad. Yes they are sixth in the country in scoring. And no, I don't think they are a great passing team , or they would be able to get the ball to the post much better. Geno himself has admitted that fact. So, you think a guard driven team that is 25th in country at treys is good? I can tell you are big on averages. There are tons of MLB players that have great averages but don't hit in big games. This team has padded it's shooting percentage because of turnovers turned layup points. And although there maybe a chance for more single upsets in this years tournament, hom many of those teams can really string 2 or 3 of them together? I still can't see anyone but the top 4 winning it all uless tournament committe does what it did last year. If you play the same team enough times anything can happen.

Do they struggle with making passes to the post? Yes. Does that make them a poor passing team? No.

They pad their shooting percentage with layups? Give me a break. Where do you come up with this stuff?

And you originally said that they all need to be scoring contributors on the court. Not sure what you even mean by that now.

Reaction Score
Do they struggle with making passes to the post? Yes. Does that make them a poor passing team? No.

They pad their shooting percentage with layups? Give me a break. Where do you come up with this stuff?

And you originally said that they all need to be scoring contributors on the court. Not sure what you even mean by that now.
Part of passing is the decision process, not just the physical passing of the ball , but when to pass. Post passing is not thier strong suit. They have gotten a huge amount of fast break points off turnover this year. The defense has been outstanding. Perhaps what I should be saying is that they take a lot of quick shots in half court offense, without reversing the ball much. To me that is passing. I believe Geno has said this himself. I'd love to see a chart of the team's shot attempts and from where on the court. Let's root for the huskies to bounce back tonight!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Part of passing is the decision process, not just the physical passing of the ball , but when to pass. Post passing is not thier strong suit.

I agree about them not making good post pass. And not making them when it's open. Doesn't make them a poor passing team as you stated.

They have gotten a huge amount of fast break points off turnover this year. The defense has been outstanding.

Thank god for the defense. It will be the difference maker this year. They get a huge amount of points off turnovers every year. Do you know for a fact that this year is different with more poinst off turnovers?

Perhaps what I should be saying is that they take a lot of quick shots in half court offense, without reversing the ball much. To me that is passing. I believe Geno has said this himself.

I disagree again. I think they occasionally do this. So, reversing the ball is passing? Correct. As is any time you throw the ball to a teammate.

I'd love to see a chart of the team's shot attempts and from where on the court. Let's root for the huskies to bounce back tonight!

It's not tough. Make a chart and keep track. I'd love to hear the results.

Reaction Score
Novosel and Mallory always seem to hurt us, not always with a lot of points, but with key points.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in the NCAA stats. The offensive production has fallen off the last few weeks. At the end of January UConn was ranked 4th in offense averaging 81.3 ppg with a 49.2 shooting percentage. Since then they have dropped to 6th in offense, scoring 77.8 ppg and are now shooting 47.9%. That's pretty significant.

I know the competition has stiffened, but some of that should be offset by the team getting more experience.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Let's see now...

UConn for the season is averaging 77.8 points per game

UConn's opponents average 45.3 points per game

Difference of +32.5

I would say, however, that winning a championship has more to do with beating the elite front-running teams like Baylor, Notre Dame and Stanford. To do that it means that everyone has to step up in the big game both defensively as well as offensively.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in the NCAA stats. The offensive production has fallen off the last few weeks. At the end of January UConn was ranked 4th in offense averaging 81.3 ppg with a 49.2 shooting percentage. Since then they have dropped to 6th in offense, scoring 77.8 ppg and are now shooting 47.9%. That's pretty significant.

I know the competition has stiffened, but some of that should be offset by the team getting more experience.

They've had a rough couple of weeks as Geno has stated in regards to the schedule (lots of games, not a lot of time off). It's been reflected in their play.

Reaction Score
They've had a rough couple of weeks as Geno has stated in regards to the schedule (lots of games, not a lot of time off). It's been reflected in their play.

And this has happened every year for at least the last several years including the undefeated seasons. By the end of the season it is a grind. And it doesn't effect just UConn. Notre Dame has had struggles. Baylor doesn't face the same level of competition in the current Big 12, but they still only won their most recent game by 5 points at home against Texas Tech and they were down at the half.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And this has happened every year for at least the last several years including the undefeated seasons. By the end of the season it is a grind. And it doesn't effect just UConn. Notre Dame has had struggles. Baylor doesn't face the same level of competition in the current Big 12, but they still only won their most recent game by 5 points at home against Texas Tech and they were down at the half.
Yes, teams are wearing down physically and mentally, especially those with a lot of young players in key positions. In the Big East, teams with bulls-eyes on their backs, like UConn and ND, are being played especially physically in what is already a very physical league. Injuries and simple fatigue are taking their toll.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes, teams are wearing down physically and mentally, especially those with a lot of young players in key positions. In the Big East, teams with bulls-eyes on their backs, like UConn and ND, are being played especially physically in what is already a very physical league. Injuries and simple fatigue are taking their toll.

Very true and the scores will be even lower in the BET when the teams play games on consecutive days.

Reaction Score
To Ncorbust - ok, so you put the onus on me. I am the original poster who stated that with 3 low-scoring starters(stef, doty, kelly - 22.6 ppg avg.) it will be very difficult winning any championship. Using your excellent research on 5 uconn national championship teams hers's the data on the 3 lowest scoring starters for each year -
01 - 02 - Bird 19.9 ppg, Ralph 9.7 ppg Jones/Shumacher 9.8 ppg - 30.4 ttl ppg - 7.8 ppg advantage
02 - 03 - Strother 10.1 ppg, Turner/Battle 9.1 ppg, Conlon 6.9 ppg - 26.1 ttl ppg -3.5 ppg advantage
03 - 04 - Strother 11 ppg, Moore 9.5 ppg,Conlon 5.9 ppg - 26.4 ttl ppg -3.8 ppg advantage
08 - 09 - Renee 16.5 ppg, Greene 8.7 ppg, Hayes/Doty 8.5 ppg -33.7 ttl ppg - 11.1 ppg advantage
09 - 10 - Greene 11.4 ppg, Hayes 10.2 ppg, Doty 6.8 ppg - 28.4 ttl ppg - 5.8 ppg advantage
The average ppg advantage for the 3'somes for the above 5 years over Stef-Doty-Kelly is 6.4 points per game.
Looking at Uconn's 3 losses this year - St.Johns 57-56, ND 74-67(ot)(Uconn scored 61 in regulation) , Baylor 66-61, I think everyone would agree that Uconn;s defense was very, very good. In fact it's been outstanding all season. The problem was in the offense - lack of scoring.(an average of 59.3 points in the 3 losses) If you add the above parameter of 6.4 ppg advantage the NC 3;somes had to each one our losses those 3 losses would become wins! By the way, in those 3 losses the trio of Stef-Doty-Kelly had a grand totsl of 49 points - an average of 5.4 points per player per game.
Question - (Fill in the blank)
If Uconn were to play St.Johns, Notre Dame & Baylor in the 4th, 5th & 6th rounds of the NCAA tournament this year, it would be __ for Uconn to win the national championship.

A -easy B -fairly easy C-fairly difficult D-difficult E-very difficult

I believe any reasonable person who knows anything about basketball in general & the Huskies in particular would choose D or E. Why ? , not because of our defense but because of our offense.

Reaction Score
If Notre Dame were to play St.Johns, UConn & Baylor in the 4th, 5th & 6th rounds of the NCAA tournament this year, it would be __ for Uconn to win the national championship.

I believe any reasonable person who knows anything about basketball in general & the Irish in particular would choose D or E. Why ? , not because of our defense but because of our offense.

Reaction Score
If Baylor were to play St.Johns, Notre Dame & UConn in the 4th, 5th & 6th rounds of the NCAA tournament this year, it would be __ for Uconn to win the national championship.

I believe any reasonable person who knows anything about basketball in general & the Bears in particular would choose D or E. Why ? , not because of our defense but because of our offense.

Reaction Score
If Notre Dame were to play St.Johns, UConn & Baylor in the 4th, 5th & 6th rounds of the NCAA tournament this year, it would be __ for Uconn to win the national championship. A -easy B -fairly easy C-fairly difficult D-difficult E-very difficult I believe any reasonable person who knows anything about basketball in general & the Irish in particular would choose D or E. Why ? , not because of our defense but because of our offense.
It is D or E for any team playing Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom