Score predictions for Texas game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Score predictions for Texas game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NEW: those specific extra predictions are really interesting. Think it was BRONX who called the breakout game for Nurse vs the Blue Demons. Am launching a new pre-game ball for these extra gutsy predictions.....a BIG BALL ....one for you and a retroactive one for BRONX, if he was the once who made the Nurse call.
Thank you! I was hoping for Saniya and Natalie too. My wife and I are coming to the game tomorrow, so my prediction is that tomorrow will be their turn jointly. 82 to 62

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
CARNAC; Looks like those envelopes are obscuring your vision. A pre-game HUMOR BALL none-the-less. But I'm looking for more from ya. Last game you provided some really interesting perspective on things.....anything under the turban for us in the next 24 hours?

No, not after their performance against DePaul. They raised the bar so to speak. I don't ever expect to see another 37 point explosion of the gate again this season, BUT............I do expect to see them play hard, play together, stay under control, trust each other and limit their turnovers tomorrow. In short, do ALL of the things they did Thursday to put up those 37 points. They had some turnovers early in the 1st quarter before they began their run. If they can turn defensive rebounds into fast break baskets like they did Thursday, the Texas shooters will be leaning/falling back (like Dick Barnett*.......fall back baby) as they shoot, to get back on defense in case they miss. Nurse outran the entire Blue Devil team at least twice on a fast break. I loved it. :)

We won't have to be concerned about their BIGS on out fast breaks, most BIGS don't run that fast. They'll be the last one down the court, as they are usually under the basket fighting/leaning on somebody for rebounding position. I would love to see the Huskies reprise their efforts from Thursday. That first quarter was a thing of beauty. Other than the early turnovers, Geno didn't have much to complain about. For what it's worth, Texas (2-3) has already lost 3 games to # 11 Stanford, #10 Mississippi State and #3 South Carolina. Stanford and MSU were road games. The wheels have already started to come off of the chuck wagon for the Longhorns. I expect to see the horns come out with a vengeance, trying to get untracked, and turn their season around. Three losses in their first five games is not how they envisioned their season starting. Who better to do it against that UConn? :rolleyes:

* For you youngsters that don't know who Dick Barnett is: Richard "Dick" Barnett is a retired American professional basketball player. He spent 14 seasons in the NBA, but is mostly known for his nine seasons with the New York Knicks.

He was the top draft choice of the
Syracuse Nationals (now the Philadelphia 76ers) of the NBA, Barnett played with the team until 1961, when he jumped ship from the NBA to play in the American Basketball League (ABL) with the Cleveland Pipers, who were owned by George Steinbrenner, the future owner of the New York Yankees. Barnett led them to an ABL Championship in the 1961-62 season.

He then returned to the NBA to play with the Los Angeles Lakers for three seasons (legendary Laker announcer Chick Hearn nicknamed him "Fall Back Baby") and played on two NBA championship teams with the New York Knicks in 1969-70 and 1972-73. He was famous for "falling back" as he took his shots. More at Wikipedia. Dick Barnett, drdickbarnett.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Predicted last two would be close and I was not correct. Still think we're due a close one. UConn 83 Texas 72. We'll be there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We beat them by 21 last year--our closest game in the tourney--and we obviously lost a lot of talent after that.

I'm happy to underestimate and say UConn by 75-60. I hope we run them off the floor (sorry, Alex).
Hey,no worries! Yes, Texas is my alma mater, but the Lady Horns are not off to an auspicious start thus far this season. I am struggling to visualize Aston's squad traveling into the Nutmeg State and coming away with a win here. They gave Uconn a decent run in the regional finals last season, but they seem shaky in 2016-17.

In honor of what we hope and pray is an extension to 82 games in a row, I'll say 82-70 Huskies. Also in honor of the 2002 NC game. :).

Reaction Score
UConn wins 84-71. KLS scores 22+, Butler scores more than 5, Pheese pulls 6 rebounds, and Kia has another stellar game (but she won't score 33... I'm not that optimistic!)

All of these will probably be wrong, but :rolleyes: I like to be optimistic about things.

Reaction Score
Thursday was an impressive performance, but I don't think the consistency is there yet.

UConn 73-61 Texas, with most of the game closer than that.

Reaction Score
2 years ago, our "big three" beat Texas by 51 points.
Last year they beat them by 21, a 40 % reduction in winning margin.
Thus, this year our "core four" should beat them by at least 12,
for another 40 % reduction in winning margin.

Do the math: 86-74.

Reaction Score
No, not after their performance against DePaul. They raised the bar so to speak. I don't ever expect to see another 37 point explosion of the gate again this season, BUT..I do expect to see them play hard, play together, stay under control, trust each other and limit their turnovers tomorrow. In short, do ALL of the things they did Thursday to put up those 37 points. They had some turnovers early in the 1st quarter before they began their run. If they can turn defensive rebounds into fast break baskets like they did Thursday, the Texas shooters will be leaning/falling back (like Dick Barnett*..fall back baby) as they shoot, to get back on defense in case they miss. Nurse outran the entire Blue Devil team at least twice on a fast break. I loved it. :)

* For you youngsters that don't know who Dick Barnett is: Richard "Dick" Barnett is a retired American professional basketball player. He spent 14 seasons in the NBA, but is mostly known for his nine seasons with the New York Knicks.

He then returned to the NBA to play with the Los Angeles Lakers for three seasons (legendary Laker announcer Chick Hearn nicknamed him "Fall Back Baby") and played on two NBA championship teams with the New York Knicks in 1969-70 and 1972-73. He was famous for "falling back" as he took his shots. More at Wikipedia. Dick Barnett, drdickbarnett.com

My father was somewhat friendly with Red Holzman and I was lucky enough to visit the Knicks locker room after games a few times during the late 60's early 70's......the first time must have been 1968 .......I believe Dick Barnett was given some sort of award before the game......in addition to jumping kind of backwards when he shot the jumper, I remember he also had an unusual foul shooting technique, putting one foot back and one forward when he released the ball........sat on Walt Bellamy's lap.........met Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Cazzie Russell, Bill Bradley, Phil Jackson, Dave DeBusschere, Mike Riordan....oh and Nate Bowman..............still have their autographs.......as a little kid this was and still is one of the most memorable moments of my life.........

UConn 88-73

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My father was somewhat friendly with Red Holzman and I was lucky enough to visit the Knicks locker room after games a few times during the late 60's early 70's.the first time must have been 1968 ..I believe Dick Barnett was given some sort of award before the game.in addition to jumping kind of backwards when he shot the jumper, I remember he also had an unusual foul shooting technique, putting one foot back and one forward when he released the ball...sat on Walt Bellamy's lap....met Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Cazzie Russell, Bill Bradley, Phil Jackson, Dave DeBusschere, Mike Riordan....oh and Nate Bowman....still have their autographs..as a little kid this was and still is one of the most memorable moments of my life....

UConn 88-73
That's a HOF team. I believe that the Knicks had Dick Barnett at SG for one of their championship years. The SG the other year was none other than Earl the Pearl.

Reaction Score
That's a HOF team. I believe that the Knicks had Dick Barnett at SG for one of their championship years. The SG the other year was none other than Earl the Pearl.

I think they won the championship in the 1969-1970 season with Barnett and Frazier..............later Frazier and the Pearl teamed up after their legendary battles when Earl was with the Baltimore Bullets

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they won the championship in the 1969-1970 season with Barnett and Frazier....later Frazier and the Pearl teamed up after their legendary battles when Earl was with the Baltimore Bullets
I'm going from memory--always dangerous--but I think Barnett's title was in fact in 1970 and The Pearl's was in 1973.

Barnett was good. Pearl was even better. Pearl and Clyde formed one of the great backcourts. The frontcourt included a U.S. Senator, a baseball pitcher, a guy famous for an inspiritaional game 7, and a guy with 11 rings from coaching and 2 from playing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going from memory--always dangerous--but I think Barnett's title was in fact in 1970 and The Pearl's was in 1973.

Barnett was good. Pearl was even better. Pearl and Clyde formed one of the great backcourts. The frontcourt included a U.S. Senator, a baseball pitcher, a guy famous for an inspiritaional game 7, and a guy with 11 rings from coaching and 2 from playing.

I think it was the 1969-70 season but I could be wrong...........at his prime the Pearl was simply unstoppable

Reaction Score
I think this is going to be a real tough game for UConn. Texas is extremely athletic, big, has great guard play, and one of the best young players in the game. I think Texas is going to take away "the paint" and force UConn to beat them from the outside. If UConn struggles to make jump shots this game can get real interesting.

In the end I think UConn gets a close win in a rather ugly game.
Texas 63
UConn 74

Reaction Score
Katie Lou + Collier + 21.5 is my line and I will take the UCONN side.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Baylor is a 15 point better team than Texas, so I am doing the math and saying UCONN by 26. I don't think that the game will be in the balance like it was up until about the 3:30 mark in the fourth quarter in the UCONN vs Baylor game. These ladies seem to have already broken out of the shadow of the Big 3 and have developed their own personality as a team and they are comfortable with who they are and they are playing freely. I don't think that Geno is going to get his wish of a butt whipping any time soon.

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is a 15 point better team than Texas, so I am doing the math and saying UCONN by 26. I don't think that the game will be in the balance like it was up until about the 3:30 mark in the fourth quarter in the UCONN vs Baylor game. These ladies seem to have already broken out of the shadow of the Big 3 and have developed their own personality as a team and they are comfortable with who they are and they are playing freely. I don't think that Geno is going to get his wish of a butt whipping any time soon.

Your thoughts make total sense and you're most likely correct but the pessimist in me thinks that sometime this season a team is going break through via the motivation of playing UConn...........that's the price you pay for being the top dogs............

Reaction Score
I have UCONN winning 85-63. Geno will have these ladies up for this game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My father was somewhat friendly with Red Holzman and I was lucky enough to visit the Knicks locker room after games a few times during the late 60's early 70's.the first time must have been 1968 ..I believe Dick Barnett was given some sort of award before the game.in addition to jumping kind of backwards when he shot the jumper, I remember he also had an unusual foul shooting technique, putting one foot back and one forward when he released the ball...sat on Walt Bellamy's lap....met Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Cazzie Russell, Bill Bradley, Phil Jackson, Dave DeBusschere, Mike Riordan....oh and Nate Bowman....still have their autographs..as a little kid this was and still is one of the most memorable moments of my life....

UConn 88-73

Little did you know at the time, but you sir were in the company of some great future Hall of Famers. THAT was a great time to be a Knick fan, and go to the gah-den. :)

That can be the idea/title for a future thread. Who is/was the most famous or influential person you've met. Mine was Sammy Davis Jr. in the early 1970's. He was very nice and personable.
I got to shake his hand, and we chatted for 5-10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom