School me on starting a garden - not the MSG type. | The Boneyard

School me on starting a garden - not the MSG type.

Reaction Score
I cleared some land (unfortunately the area is as shady a regular Cesspool poster) and I want to start my quarantine garden. What should I plant, where do you get seeds? I've been to two different HDs in the past week both were essentially out of them. Thinking mostly vegetables as I think sunlight is less needed (Arugula, etc.).

I feel it's getting late and I need to put something in the ground soon, so any good suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cleared some land (unfortunately the area is as shady a regular Cesspool poster) and I want to start my quarantine garden. What should I plant, where do you get seeds? I've been to two different HDs in the past week both were essentially out of them. Thinking mostly vegetables as I think sunlight is less needed (Arugula, etc.).

I feel it's getting late and I need to put something in the ground soon, so any good suggestions will be appreciated.

Been real cold at night the last few, people who planted and didnt cover might of lost a few crops

Reaction Score
We ordered some herbs online almost a month ago and they have not yet arrived. Missed all the good rain.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, most of the standard easy-to-grow stuff loves sun (Tomatoes, Peppers, Basil, Cucumbers, Zucchini). Apparently,cherry tomatoes can get by with less sun, and then you're into the root vegetables (carrots beets potatoes) and things like some cabbages, arugula, and peas. I only have direct experience growing the first group of sun loving stuff. Really depends on how many hours of direct sun you get. Post that, and someone with more experience than me can probably help you.

If you don't go somewhere and buy small plants, Amazon will sell you any seeds you can think of.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're not at all late for planting into the ground, just late for having started seeds inside.

Reaction Score
Check your grow zone online to see what you can plant outside when. Each state is different and can grow different stuff at different times.

Growing Zone Finder - Find Your Grow Zone Climate - Burpee

I've used a garden planner tool online to map my garden out. I found it useful for planning. I've also tilled my raised bed a couple times and highly recommend a good till to begin. Go to your local farm for some manure if you like or you can buy it in store and till it in. You might want to till in mulch too. I have gotten some potting soil to work around the base of my plants but if your soil is good you can do without.

Gardening is great, there is nothing like going out to pick your own plants! I loved my fresh basil, my cherry tomatoes, some garlic, and oil together. If you like mojitos, see if you can grow mint -- nothing beats your own mint for your cocktails. I heard from a friend that she did chocolate mint in her mojitos and loved it.

This stuff aside, I wish I was able to grow garlic but gave up my plot to relocate. I think I remember garlic doing well up north but don't quote me on that. If you buy store garlic to plant you're not sure what strain works in your zone so it may be hit or miss. I'd look for bulbs to buy online if you want to grow this.

I've never done it but compost and use it as a fertilizer. If you have critter problems, I've heard sprinkling human hair around your garden gives off a human scent that animals don't like. Barbershops may give you some or if you are COVID-clipping yourself like I am, you're ahead of the game.

Also, I have bought tomato cages and cucumber trellises here. They may not be the cheapest but I have not had issues with quality.

I hope you enjoy! (insert jealousy emoji here - I am jealous of you!)

Reaction Score
Thanks, all of this is helpful. Assuming I can find some more seeds, I'm glad to know there's time. What kind of fertilizer do you recommend, I've heard mulch is important & there's a bunch of options there too.

Folks get really into their gardens and I'm eager to avoid mistakes. I've watched a bunch of YouTube vids, but generally they're playing chess and I'm playing tic tac toe.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I miss living in CT, until I see a post like this. Started seeds in Mid-January and I have already picked zucchini, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, banana peppers, radishes and leaf lettuce. Yellow squash and green beans are less than 2 weeks away. Corn, Watermelon, Carrots, Potatoes and Cantaloupe will be towards the Fall. I'm working on a 16x20 greenhouse, using recycled windows, that will allow me to grow year round. I get the majority of my seeds from Burgess Seed Co. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Reaction Score
You're late for starting from seed, but that's fine. Any garden stand has seedlings and, honestly, it's easier and you get more consistent harvests.

The shade is an issue. Any vegetable that loves sun (that others have mentioned) will be leggy (long and thin) with little to no actual vegetables. Those vegetables do best being blasted by the mid summer sun all day.

You'll need to do shady vegetables like kale, broccoli, swiss chard, carrots and to be honest, I don't find that all that much fun. You can look into garden boxes for your deck or a really sunny spot. Or herbs. But if it's in the ground, you need sun or your screwed.

Another option is sign up for a CSA share. All the fresh vegetables, none of the work.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I have a 75’ x 40’ garden tiled out way back in my backyard. I plant mainly heriloom tomatoes, thai hot peppers, zucchini, and cucumbers. I grow herbs and romaine lettuce in a raised garden bed. In early April I rototile the garden with 5-10 bags of peat moss and 10 bags of manure. I tile again right before I plant (mid-end of May). In the fall when I clean the garden out, I rototile again.

You’re not too late - highly advise getting seedlings. I started mine in March inside and have about 72 tomato seedlings and 18 hot thai pepper seedlings. For your outdoor garden the spot you pick depends on what you grow. I need lots of sun exposure for my tomatoes and peppers. The hotter, drier it is, the better they grow. Interesting also, the less rain the hotter the peppers get.

I usually buy that black weed control tarp because it radiates heat towards my plants and it prevents weeds. Also I build a fairly high fence around my garden so critters and deer can’t eat the plants. It’s happened far too many times. Deer spray doesn’t work that well in my experience.

Then about every August/September I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. I make and jar sauce that I’ll likely have all winter. Hot peppers usually go into a hot sauce recipe. It’s relatively care-free work if you take the time to prevent weeds and headaches up front.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just do an herb garden and was very excited when the thyme and tarragon came back from last year. Once things get going, I'm trimming something for dinner every night.

Reaction Score
I have a 75’ x 40’ garden tiled out way back in my backyard. I plant mainly heriloom tomatoes, thai hot peppers, zucchini, and cucumbers. I grow herbs and romaine lettuce in a raised garden bed. In early April I rototile the garden with 5-10 bags of peat moss and 10 bags of manure. I tile again right before I plant (mid-end of May). In the fall when I clean the garden out, I rototile again.

You’re not too late - highly advise getting seedlings. I started mine in March inside and have about 72 tomato seedlings and 18 hot thai pepper seedlings. For your outdoor garden the spot you pick depends on what you grow. I need lots of sun exposure for my tomatoes and peppers. The hotter, drier it is, the better they grow. Interesting also, the less rain the hotter the peppers get.

I usually buy that black weed control tarp because it radiates heat towards my plants and it prevents weeds. Also I build a fairly high fence around my garden so critters and deer can’t eat the plants. It’s happened far too many times. Deer spray doesn’t work that well in my experience.

Then about every August/September I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. I make and jar sauce that I’ll likely have all winter. Hot peppers usually go into a hot sauce recipe. It’s relatively care-free work if you take the time to prevent weeds and headaches up front.
Instead of peat moss I use the hay and chicken droppings from the coop, manure from my neighbor that has cows. I pretty much follow the same tilling practices that you do. Aside from the heirloom tomatoes, have you considered growing a Beefsteak tomato? Nothing better for a tomato sandwich.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I've been using this system for several years with much success. Buy potting mix and plants already started from your local store and follow instructions that come with box. Be sure to buy the box nutrient patch which includes fertilizer. Then all you do is add water.

Reaction Score
Thanks, all of this is helpful. Assuming I can find some more seeds, I'm glad to know there's time. What kind of fertilizer do you recommend, I've heard mulch is important & there's a bunch of options there too.

Folks get really into their gardens and I'm eager to avoid mistakes. I've watched a bunch of YouTube vids, but generally they're playing chess and I'm playing tic tac toe.
If you're concerned about seeding and waiting for germination, I would recommend checking out a local greenhouse / nursery business. They should have trays and small pots of vegetables and herbs, and will be able to give you advice on fertilizer and general care (especially for shaded areas). What part of the state are you in?

You're definitely not too late. My folks usually don't get their garden planted until earlyi June and have a huge harvest a month or two later.

Reaction Score
Beastmode. Nice!

Reaction Score
If you're concerned about seeding and waiting for germination, I would recommend checking out a local greenhouse / nursery business. They should have trays and small pots of vegetables and herbs, and will be able to give you advice on fertilizer and general care (especially for shaded areas). What part of the state are you in?

You're definitely not too late. My folks usually don't get their garden planted until earlyi June and have a huge harvest a month or two later.
I'm in Fairfield Cty.

I put up some fencing as we get deer & I put the some of seeds I have in egg cartons just to get things going. So glad to have read GT Cams comment about the mints as otherwise I may have planted my peppermint seeds directly! I plan on making rows and putting down some hay in-between.

I've cut down some lower branches hoping to help out the shade issue - I have a electric branch saw and I'm sure I'll be out with that any day now. It's not perpetually shady, but there won't be tomatoes or peppers growing there unless I get some big trees taken down.

It's more something to do around the house - it's just a bit more involved than I bargained for. Going to stores is not something done lightly these days, so this seed shortage is a bit of a problem. Besides the arugula, green beans and some other lettuce, I'd like to grow broccoli and cauliflower because we eat that all the time. Also garlic seems simple enough and something we'd use.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm getting alot out of them!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Instead of peat moss I use the hay and chicken droppings from the coop, manure from my neighbor that has cows. I pretty much follow the same tilling practices that you do. Aside from the heirloom tomatoes, have you considered growing a Beefsteak tomato? Nothing better for a tomato sandwich.
I did last year they came out awesome. I eat much more pasta than sandwiches, so I opted to not grow them this year.

Below are a mix of the heirlooms, a beefsteak, and a few starburst grape tomatoes.

1539269A-9B5D-4F2B-AD8F-5EE7B544B52D.jpeg

Reaction Score
I throw on a bag of peat moss and some cowshoot and rototill every year. Still uncertain about using mulch, or garden fabric (hard to apply fertilizer), to keep weeds in check.

Didn't get tomato seeds from Italy this year for obvious reasons, so using garden shop plants. Buckle the seat belts??

Reaction Score
How do you guys build your fences keep the animals out? Also any advice to avoid tomato rot?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
loose, airy soil is ur friend. it's easier for roots to run thru air pockets than thru a brick wall, if you catch my drift. peat, sand, etc is helpful. fence? hammer 4 corner posts (2x3's, 2x4's work fine), then wrap that frame in deer netting, at least 5 or 6 feet tall (motivated deer can hop up to 6 feet), with the bottom netting extending a foot or two over the ground. thro stuff (dirt, etc) over that bottom extension to prevent critters from their ground attack. or, if ur space is limited, just get some hay bales to frame out a space, then fill the interior with dirt. red onions seem to grow really well here in ct, so tomatos, jalapenos, onions, - boom! salsa! I am one of those cilantro-no way! people, but that grows well here too. also, cantaloupe and sugar baby watermelon grow easy, tho critter defense is a must for those. pickling cukes are my fav. mr ganimover in Fairfield says 'why would anybody buy started cuke plants? just toss the seeds anywhere - they know what to do." we've been growing a lot of yellow tomatoes lately, too. and, we've been adding a weaksauce Epsom salts solution every other week or so to the toms and cukes as a supplement, and they seem better for it. finally, I have yet to meet a person in tune with the natural world around them, who doesn't agree with the observation that 'I have never seen a daffodil run last as long as this season.' unreal. like two months long! I wonder if it is connected to the also current epic run of alewife? just the bridebrook alone, over by rocky neck, has aboot 400,000 running this year, while the entire state count only 7 or so years ago, was around 300,000.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you guys build your fences keep the animals out? Also any advice to avoid tomato rot?
I bought a big roll (150 ft) of poultry wire at HD. It's only 4ft tall so I ran a bottom and top section. I attached using special U- shaped nails made for this and I would also use regular finishing nails for the thinner 2x4s - I'd hit them halfway in to hook the wire and then bend the nail over it. I was able to wrap around the lower section, but I had to cut out each side for the top one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom