SC Postgame Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
??? Anna isnt getting any shots off against SC. She doesn’t show up in big games at all and hasn’t shot well all season.

Anna and Crystal were the only two to score in double figures last year against Oregon, but you're right she didn't play well against SC last year and only took two shots (made one) against Baylor.

So while she isn't and will never be Paige, she's still a good ball player.

Reaction Score
Someone a long part of this thread ago raised a follow up question to Aubrey's illegal screen call because it was too wide as sarcastically noted by Geno in his presser. Rule 4-34 provides that your screen stance cannot be wider than your shoulders. I have never seen that called before and it was typical of these referees in a big game who call the little technical garbage to prove they are so good at their jobs but miss the big plays like fouls on shots. If we enforced that rule, there would be nothing more than those calls. To selectively enforce it is unfair. How do you visually measure it? Like the refs in the Arkansas game, these were just plain terrible.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Also has anyone even noticed Anna’s absence? You’d think we would be hurting missing a “starter”
I have noticed Anna's absence often, and last night was certainly an example of how much another outside shooter and good ball handler can help. When Nika got in foul trouble Anna would have been a nice option.

Reaction Score
Evina’s knee has been bothering her and I saw her tweak it early in tonight’s game. She was kinda gimpy for much of the first half.
True. Really though it hasn't been right since the DePaul game. She is 3-19 from the field in the last 3 games and any injury , especially a knee, will throw off your shot. She has been less aggressive on takes as well. She had two surgeries and hasn't played a full season in two years. Playing 2-3 times a week takes its toll. Geno downplayed her knee in his presser which I thought was telling. I would not be surprised if she sat a game but he trusts her on the court and rightly so and she is a natural leader so we will have to see.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Paige did something at the end of the overtime that was not smart. She tried to block the last shot by the SC player. Even if she made the shot it would not have tied the game. If one of the refs would have called a foul and the basket was good, then SC would have had a chance to tie the game. If the shot was missed the player would have gotten three free throws. If she hits two and misses the third and SC got the rebound, SC could have gotten the rebound and had a chance to tie or win. I see players do that often, try to block a late shot when they have a four point lead. Petty maybe, but it is attention to detail that Geno stresses so often.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I must mention there was no excuse for the announcers. i won’t go farther, or say more. Very dissapointed in those ladies. No need for it ladies.
Monica McNutt's sing song delivery is irritating to me. Well, at least it was not Antonelli or Peck. In the Oregon/Arizona game, Antonelli made a negative remark about UConn concerning some ranking.

Reaction Score
Great win. However this kind of play from our 3 upperclassmen isn’t going to cut it. I’m tired of the excuses they need to step up. I was happy to see CW didn’t start overtime, she is turning out to be a bust, has a solid game once a year.
Our future does indeed look bright, that is something to be ecstatic about

I don't think your future as a talent evaluator is promising. Where is this vitriol coming from?
Perhaps you are bitter because they didn't select you to replace Simon Cowell on American Idol.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige did something at the end of the overtime that was not smart. She tried to block the last shot by the SC player. Even if she made the shot it would not have tied the game. If one of the refs would have called a foul and the basket was good, then SC would have had a chance to tie the game. If the shot was missed the player would have gotten three free throws. If she hits two and misses the third and SC got the rebound, SC could have gotten the rebound and had a chance to tie or win. I see players do that often, try to block a late shot when they have a four point lead. Petty maybe, but it is attention to detail that Geno stresses so often.
My granddaughter’s JV basketball team lost a tournament game years ago similar to that. We were up by only 1 point. The opposing player threw up a prayer from half court at the end of the game with time running out. She was fouled, made the free throws.

The game was a close back and forth nail biter for 39 minutes and 50 seconds when we finally got the lead we believed would win the game. We win if we don’t foul her. The shot would have been an air ball. The player that fouled her realized she had cost her team the game. Players, coaches and parents were all upset, but couldn’t/ didn’t say anything.

All of the players on our team learned a valuable lesson that day. We ended up winning the tournament. That incident was one best made and learned at the JV level and not the varsity. It’s funny the things that stick with you over the course of time, even those that are seemingly insignificant. I will take that memory to the grave.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The Texas Final Four game, UConn was down 6 late and looking dead, and DT willed that win. Hit a deep 3 to put UConn ahead and had a block at the buzzer to seal the two-point win. As an apples to apples comparison on paper, Paige’s performance today was even better. But the stakes of a Final Four game makes that game more of an orange.
I like the apples and oranges reference, And the choice of the Texas game being the orange also fits the uniform color scheme. Kind of a serendipitous choice between two equally impressive fruits!

Reaction Score
So I watched the game downstairs in my man cave. When Paige's 3 went in, I let out a yell, causing Mrs. Oldude to come running downstairs, greatly concerned about my well being. I guess she still loves me. :cool:
I completely lost it too
Thinking we weren’t alone...

Reaction Score
I remember when Geno said Paige was best freshmen and something to the effect that any coach would trade one of their freshmen for her, and I saw the replies to those tweets, so many South Carolina fans began hating on Paige, saying this freshman or that freshman are just as good if not better. Some of them were such huge reaches, listing players that are not as good. South Carolina fans always complaining on Twitter so its fitting Paige played the way she did, confirming Geno's claim

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Someone a long part of this thread ago raised a follow up question to Aubrey's illegal screen call because it was too wide as sarcastically noted by Geno in his presser. Rule 4-34 provides that your screen stance cannot be wider than your shoulders. I have never seen that called before and it was typical of these referees in a big game who call the little technical garbage to prove they are so good at their jobs but miss the big plays like fouls on shots. If we enforced that rule, there would be nothing more than those calls. To selectively enforce it is unfair. How do you visually measure it? Like the refs in the Arkansas game, these were just plain terrible.
"Rule 4-34 provides that your screen stance cannot be wider than your shoulders." Quite true, but screen setters almost universally set their feet wider than their shoulders without being penalized. But when they also stick our their knees, or move into the defender, or use their elbows, refs are wildly inconsistent about calling them out. Safest bet is for screeners to set the screens early and not move or lean or elbow the defender. That's safer, but they may still be called, just less often

Reaction Score
realistically all you want as you head into March is a team that gives you a chance of winning a championship. Last years team really didnt have that (we will never know but deep down we know) and theyd have done really really well to make final four. This years team are improving and putting themselves in with a chance at a championship, once you get to the tournament its about executing and we have seen in big moments this year this team has someone who can execute under the most intense pressure. I think this year is open and you could probably name 7/8 teams who will think theyve got a shot, but I think we have as good chance as anyone and youd take that at the start of the season given the number of unknowns.

Reaction Score
So you want the next game to wait? That happens 100 per cent of the time when games run late in nationally televised games. It would also have happened if the next was a women’s game. If the UConn game was the late game and you missed the first five minutes because of post game commentary, would you be OK with that?

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why so many people are happy here. Yes Paige is the best ever as a freshman we’ve ever had.... easy to see. But we are in serious trouble if the upper class players don’t take a long look in the mirror. I’m embarrassed as a UConn fan for the way they played tonight. It takes away from the excitement of the future titles that Paige and her crew will bring us. The freshman, those are UConn championship players like we’ve had in the past. The three ALL THREE I don’t expect them to be starts at this point, but dont be scared and at least contribute. We are not significantly, but I think at least 10-15 points better than SC. The juniors need to at least do something positive because Paige is gonna need help to keep this thing going. At least DT3 had role players that did their part. These women aren’t as far as I’m concerned and it’s kinda upsetting to me. I believe these three juniors have what it takes. I’m not just saying that, I really think that. Maybe Westbrook was off because she usually does a little of everything, so I give her a pass, but the other two need to figure out what they can do besides shoot from the outside because they both aren’t the best shooters. Liv needs to focus on being a defensive force and just rebound like crazy and maybe get some easy putbacks. Williams needs to drive more and just maybe focus on defens. I’m not sure but don’t be a liability, she is too talented for that. I only watched her a couple of times and she was lost or out of sorts out there. Unacceptable at this point in her career. I love and want them both to succeed more than anything, but man it’s frustrating. We won’t win a title like this.
Agree to a point. This was a classic game I will always remember. Putting Paige out there at the end of the game as the only scorer worked but is unlikely to be a repeatable tactic. While I am expecting creative defenses in the NCAA's to keep the ball in ONO's, Aubrey's, etc. hands and doubles on Paige when she gets ball, let me just enjoy the moment.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Looking at this picture the ball is in the air, there is .1 seconds left and the lights behind the backboard are off. Shot is good, even if she did travel before the shot.

Not sure how you saw the ball by her waist with zeros on the clock.......

View attachment 64426
And BTW, for all the anti-UConn fans who claim “just luck” on Paige’s 3 point shot to end the game, what about this Hail Mary shot to end the half time? You can’t have it both ways...

Reaction Score
Liv was part of the plan to draw Boston out but because she was apparently tired from all the recent travel/games she couldn't get the ball over the front of the rim. Thus: She would surely step well back beyond the 3 point line and her shot/pass would pass as one to Edwards who would then spin in for an easy layup or total miss as she is prone to do at times. Had Liv hit a few early, this game would have been much different in our favor. Liv did make a number of great bounce passes for layups so the general plan for her to play a high post is solid, just need more work and an occasional quick drive to the hoop by Liv. This will work!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
"... I am wondering why in today's game (and in several other recent games) he's had our two "bigs," Liv and Alliyah, set up about 18'-20' from the basket. Since neither is really a serious threat to hit a high percentage of those shots-- not yet, at least-- the opponents sag to the basket, clogging up the lane and making cuts there and along the baseline difficult. Not many of such cuts executed successfully tonight vs SC.
Answer so the middle would be open to cutters and no shot blockers
I'll have to re-watch the game. As I noted above, I don't recall seeing many back doors or passes to cutters through the lane, which is why I questioned the strategy.

Reaction Score
Let's watch out what we all ask for. If you watch the last sequence in regulation, on 2 of the 3 layups SC missed, looked like clear fouls on the wrist by Aubrey. Thank you refs for looking the other way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom