SC Postgame Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Are you talking about Cooke's half court heave at the end of the first half? You should watch it again. She beat the buzzer by about half a second.
I will repeat the clock, timer, controls the buzzer and the light, not the other way around. When the clock reaches zero it sends a digital output to activate the horn and lights.

Reaction Score
Any game with Dee Kanter will be called bad. I replayed the last shot at half frame by frame there were zeros on the clock when the ball was still at her waist.
Great observation. FS1 superimposed what they represented as the game clock in the replay and it looked good that way. It also sounded good when you listen for the horn. However, when you look at the clock on the screen when it happens in real time, it is clearly late as you say. So if the clock in the game is different than the clock on the screen, we were not watching the actual time. Way to go Fox.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
There has been no such thing for years now, just like traveling or palming. It gets called when a coach disgruntled points it out and gets a make up call. Have not seen this call in some time, then two in the same game. LOL

Not one to argue with Geno but I agree with you 110%! Old school but with a deep bench someones job is to go down the lane and eat Wilson. It's not embarrassing to take a couple for the team. ;)

PM me if this overwhelms you, I could provide a list of hundreds of schools that would love to have a fan. Some willing to sign a non embarrassment waiver, liability limited of course. :D

BINGO jaydee you hit the nail on the head. Like carrying & palming, moving screens have not been called in some time. Tonight two of them. I hate to pick on officials, it is a very hard job.
Having said that they should walk away from coaches and gather at mid court during time outs.
Mostly agree, except there were more than 2, for sure ONO, NM, AG. And yes Dawn was in Dee's ear.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Can you name one specific game that comes close to what Paige did tonight?

-Paige scored half of the team's points on 54% shooting. The rest of the team shot a combined 31.9%.

-Paige scored the team's final 13 points, including two jumpers to send it to OT and all 9 points in OT. 5-5 shooting and 2-2 from the FT line.

-She did this against the #1 team in the country.
The freshmen, PB (14-26 31), NM (3-6 8), AE (4-9 8) 3 top scorers, Paige is already great the other 2 on the way, the only FTs made were by freshmen.

Reaction Score
I will repeat the clock, timer, controls the buzzer and the light, not the other way around. When the clock reaches zero it sends a digital output to activate the horn and lights.
The game is not over when the clock hits 0. It’s over when the buzzer sounds.

Reaction Score
She averaged 18 points as a junior and 16 as a senior. Paige as a freshman is averaging 21 per game.

The Tennessee regular season I'll give you...but that's the only one in a marquee game where DT simply took over and won the game basically on her own. DT performed well in most of the standout games her final 2 seasons but people don't give her supporting cast enough credit. Players like Strother/Turner/Moore were stepped up in a big way in big games even if they didn't go on to be great pros. They let DT be the star but fulfilled their role at a high level and often brought great play in big games even if they struggled in a go to role as their careers unfolded.

Looking at DT's big games you have:
2003 vs. Tennessee-25 points
2003 vs. Duke-21 points
2003 vs. Villanova-15 points
2003 vs. Villanova (Big East)-13 points
2003 vs. Purdue (E8)- 21 points
2003 vs. Texas (F4) -26 points
2003 vs. Tennessee (Championship)- 28 points
2004 vs. Duke- 16 points
2004 vs. Tennessee- 18 points
2004 vs. Penn State- 27 points
2004 vs. Minnesota- 18 points
2004 vs. Tennessee- 17 points

I'm not saying Paige is better than DT (although I'm not saying she wont be), but DT never pulled off heroics like Paige did today aside from arguably the regular season Tennessee game. Paige today had 31 points, 5 assists, 6 steals and scored the last 13 points on 5-5 shooting in the last 2 minutes of regulation and OT. She also overcame late game deficits in regulation and in OT. All against the #1 team in the country.

I know it's recent, but as time goes on I fully believe people will remember this as perhaps the most impressive singe game clutch performance by any UCONN player ever. I'm not slighting DT, but what Paige did today is unprecedented in UCONN history.
If your going to talk about UConn history like you are! 1) know all of it 2) know the players better. Kerry Bascom led UConn to their first FF with clutch shot after clutch shot against teams like NC State and Auburn to name a couple! As far as Dee, she made those players in 03-04 better to where they played with a confidence to do what they did. As an upper classmen she led them to the 2 NCs with double and triple teams beating on her every game. Her leadership gave those players confidence to do what they did! Paige isn't there yet because she is a freshman and with such a young team doesn't have those leadership abilities yet! Hopefully It will come and once that part of her game does appear. Everyone should look out because UConn will be winning everything again with ease and I can't wait.
Take a close look at the last shot in regular time. Try to count the uncalled fouls on Ono with that swinging arm shot block of hers.
A lot of refs tend to stay away from calling a foul at that part of the game. It has been like that forever. They don't want their call to determine the outcome of the game.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The game is not over when the clock hits 0. It’s over when the buzzer sounds.
The clock controls the horn. There is a delay from from 0.0 to when the horn and lights go off. Electronic controls that's how it works. How many times do you see the officials checking the clock? Now if the clock on the screen was not the official one or even close to the official one that is another issue.

Reaction Score
Actually your pathetic, Paige played awesome as we all expect. I guess when you look at it from a game to game basis you should be excited to have watched a good game. In the grand scheme of things, the way we win doesn’t look good. As a freshman (hopefully not) Paige will hit her freshman wall and time is running out on our veterans to get with the program. Yeah this win is good, but I don’t wanna see Sc cutting down the nets in March, because are veterans can’t figure out how to contribute. On Sc everyone was playing as a team and contributed. They had an off night shooting as did we, but Paige may not be able to carry us for the rest of the year every single time. A signature of UConn is everyone does their part and I’m not seeing that and that is not a championship team in March. Be happy if you want, I already said days ago that Paige is the best at this point in her career than anyone we’ve ever had, but this isn’t 2004, these teams are better equipped to take on a team not fully engaged. I hope I’m wrong trust me.
It’s YOU’RE pathetic, not YOUR. I’m glad you have to resort to name calling to prove your point. I can’t wait to tell all my friends and family that some anonymous keyboard warrior on The Boneyard thinks “I’m pathetic” because I‘m happy the team won last night. LOL

Reaction Score
Geno's best move this year was trusting Nika to run the team - ingenious! He's the only one (besides me) to spot her unique talents, eh?

Yes Jingo, we can only hope that you are the one to replace Geno.
new girl facepalm GIF by Fox TV

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige with 31 of UConn’s 63. Incredible end with 9 (all of UConn’s points in OT) straight. She’s a legend already.

Also, nice to see an OT game finally go UConn’s way :D
I was still skeptical about her being clutch and “go to” until this game. I needed to see her perform against an elite team under pressure. I was like Skip Bayless (Co-host of the Fox TV sports show Undisputed) when his co-host Shannon Sharpe tries to make a point, and convince him of a player’s greatness or value, and he says “I need to see more.”

Well, I’ve seen more. For me, it wasn’t enough for her to do what she did against unranked BE teams. I needed to see her play against a top 5 elite team like SC that beat us last year. Color me convinced. She didn’t shrink or disappear when she was needed most and the game was on the line. Geno and the entire team was looking to HER to come through in the closing minutes/seconds of the game. Her ardent fans can point to this game the rest of the season to illustrate her ability to play and lead this team against all comers.

“She’s doing it in pressure situations, which is really incredible at her age,” Nelson-Ododa said. “She’s able to just take over a game. She just has this constant composure about herself. It’s incredible watching her play and seeing her grow each game.”

Which only adds another layer to what Bueckers, the Big East’s current freshman and player of the week, is doing. Her last five games: 27 points, 22, 32, 30 and 31. Bueckers played all 45 minutes, and also had six steals, five assists and four rebounds, and scored her team’s last 13 points, all against the No. 1 team in the country.

I’ve never seen a freshman come in and take charge the way Paige has. After the first game of the season, I commented that I wanted the ball in HER hands. I was impressed. I know what she did against HIGH SCHOOL level competition. I wanted to see her play against Division 1 competition (with the speed and complexities of the game at THIS level). Paige came in with a ton of hype, and she’s living up to it. If she’s this good now, how much better will she be as a junior and senior? :eek: SMH.

I eagerly join the numerous other posters here that believe she is going to be a thrill-a-minute, and fun to watch over the remainder of her time here. I enjoyed this game, especially at the end. I’m still grinning, and in a much better mood than I would have been had they lost. :D Is it possible that she plays her way onto the Mount? If she does, who comes off? :rolleyes:

It sure feels good to get that win over SC. Now we can all relax and enjoy the rest of the season knowing (not assuming) we can hold our own against other elites. Unless you’ve been living in isolation, you’ve got to know there are numerous other D1 teams this year that are good and talented enough to make a serious run deep into the tournament. There are other “Arkansas’“ out there. UConn must be ready and able to get past them should they meet. I don't know about you, but I feel a lot better about going into the tournament having won this game than if we had lost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The clock controls the horn. There is a delay from from 0.0 to when the horn and lights go off. Electronic controls that's how it works. How many times do you see the officials checking the clock? Now if the clock on the screen was not the official one or even close to the official one that is another issue.

Looking at this picture the ball is in the air, there is .1 seconds left and the lights behind the backboard are off. Shot is good, even if she did travel before the shot.

Not sure how you saw the ball by her waist with zeros on the clock.......

uconn vs sc halftime shot.JPG

Reaction Score
On DT and clutch play:

That great Tennessee game she had included these plays: a 75 foot three at halftime (a shot, not a heave); the three that tied the game at the end when everyone in the building knew who would take the shot; a difficult twisting jumper in the lane that won it in OT.

These comments about her in mags before her senior year stuck with me:

The best argument that numbers are meaningless.

The most clutch player in any sport on any level.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, we (UConn Nation) were basking in the afterglow of winning the game, and were left hanging like laundry on a clothesline on a breezy day. :(

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom