SBNation Previews 2012 UConn Football Season | The Boneyard

SBNation Previews 2012 UConn Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/31/3054830/2012-connecticut-football-preview

Not sure if I agree with the analysis, but I'm a little less biased, I reckon.

It really all seems to hinge on the O-line. If they can play pretty well, we can hope for slightly better QB/WR play, which will keep the defense rested, and help everybody else in general.

Overall, though, pretty interesting article and at least something to keep us entertained for another moment or two in the long, football-less summer.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
A bit overly critical of Coach P I feel... but other than that, it's not like I thought they would have us setting the world on fire. I'm a-okay with us exceeding expectations this year.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Maybe it is a perception vs reality thing but does anyone else think that Jerome Junior was a better safety than either Brown or Jones? To me, both Brown and Jones looked like they had a lot of promise and showed significant improvement through the season.

Reaction Score
Garbage.

I guess Pasqualoni came directly to UConn from Syracuse and was never the defensive coordinator for the Dolphins and Cowboys.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is a perception vs reality thing but does anyone else think that Jerome Junior was a better safety than either Brown or Jones? To me, both Brown and Jones looked like they had a lot of promise and showed significant improvement through the season.

Junior gave the program 4 good years. I hope he gets his degree. But from a football perspective, he was what he was. Showed flashes (made a great play in 2010 in the Pitt game, knocking Graham to the deck as he was trying to recover his own fumble), but was wildly inconsistent and never really showed any signs of development.

I think Jones & Brown have a lot more upside than Junior.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Garbage.

I guess Pasqualoni came directly to UConn from Syracuse and was never the defensive coordinator for the Dolphins and Cowboys.
I know. This perception drives me nuts.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Junior gave the program 4 good years. I hope he gets his degree. But from a football perspective, he was what he was. Showed flashes (made a great play in 2010 in the Pitt game, knocking Graham to the deck as he was trying to recover his own fumble), but was wildly inconsistent and never really showed any signs of development.

I think Jones & Brown have a lot more upside than Junior.

Well said. JJ had his moments and was a very effective run stuffer when asked to do that. That being said, Brown and Jones look to be more consistent on pass coverage (at least I hope so).

Reaction Score
First time some one described our facilities are limited. Has he ever seen them? Maybe of the three sports he covers, tennis is his specialty.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The comment about the facilities is odd, but I don't see much there that isn't fair. I don't see how six or seven wins is a 'rousing' success, but I don't have a ton of respect for the schedule.

Reaction Score
What's surprising is the fan base is actually acknowledged.

Reaction Score
So your telling me Louisville is not going to be ranked higher than 40th?

Reaction Score
Get use to these types of reviews (previews). Until UConn can play effectively on the offensive side of the ball, they will only - and this on their best days - be the "little engine that could". They have got to score points (and by points, I mean TDs not just FGs when promising drives stall). They have got to straighten out the QB position and learn how to mount a modern day passing attack. Need some long TDs - quick strikes - that put fear into defenses and fans (better not leave you seat for even one moment).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Get use to these types of reviews (previews). Until UConn can play effectively on the offensive side of the ball, they will only - and this on their best days - be the "little engine that could". They have got to score points (and by points, I mean TDs not just FGs when promising drives stall). They have got to straighten out the QB position and learn how to mount a modern day passing attack. Need some long TDs - quick strikes - that put fear into defenses and fans (better not leave you seat for even one moment).
Just wondering if you have some sort of macro on your keyboard where you hit a single button and have all your bullet points come out. :)

(I agree that the offense needs to step it up)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think the "facilities" comment is more around stadium size / location. We don't have an 80k+ on-campus stadium, so that's a "limit"

Reaction Score
Just wondering if you have some sort of macro on your keyboard where you hit a single button and have all your bullet points come out. :)

(I agree that the offense needs to step it up)

I think TDH thinks if he says it enough, it will happen. And, he will take partial credit.

Reaction Score
I think the "facilities" comment is more around stadium size / location. We don't have an 80k+ on-campus stadium, so that's a "limit"

Probably, but nationally it wont be percieved that way, he painted the entire program infrastructure with a broad brush and the overall perception suffers.
After 6 years recruits still seem surprised that they are that good.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think TDH thinks if he says it enough, it will happen. And, he will take partial credit.

I wonder if TDH would be unhappy about the passing attack at Alabama?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
A bit overly critical of Coach P I feel... but other than that, it's not like I thought they would have us setting the world on fire. I'm a-okay with us exceeding expectations this year.

There is no such thing as being overly critical of Coach P.

pj

Reaction Score
I wonder if TDH would be unhappy about the passing attack at Alabama?

I heard he used to be Touchdown Tide and then Touchdown Tiger, but the 'Bama and LSU boards banned him.

Reaction Score
Line of the day...

"they will be joined by Maryland transfer Ryan Donohue (who on the east coast doesn't have a Maryland transfer on their roster now?)"

LMAO

Reaction Score
I heard he used to be Touchdown Tide and then Touchdown Tiger, but the 'Bama and LSU boards banned him.

No, never happened. But . . . given the UConn offensive woes, I may have to change it to FieldGoalHusky (which would be preferrable to Punt-it-Away Husky or "That's another UConn stalled drive" Husky). But decided to keep the TD moniker so as not to disparage the defensive which came close to scoring more TD's last season than the offensive (not really, but not a stretch either).

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Did Houston get a lot of respect in recent years because they scored a lot of points? I forget...

Reaction Score
Loved that bulletin board material read... Hope our boys were reading it too... So we can shut this guy up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom