SB*NATION: "Like Godzilla With Rocket Launchers..." | The Boneyard

SB*NATION: "Like Godzilla With Rocket Launchers..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn Women's Hoops Is Like Godzilla With Rocket Launchers Strapped To Its Arms

"It's no surprise that UConn is really good at women's basketball. They've won the last two national titles and four of the last six. But after their 105-54 beatdown of 5-seeded Texas in the Sweet 16, we would like to take a moment to appreciate how thoroughly they're destroying everybody in their path."

[LINK]

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
How much wood ....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 3.24.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 3.24.11 PM.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 53
Reaction Score
UConn_tweet_5.jpg

That's such a silly tweet. As great as our team is, a good high school boys team would lay the smack down on them, never mind if the UConn women had to play against men's D-I programs.
I'm not sure, but I interpreted the tweet as an exaggerated compliment with humor as opposed to a literal prediction. That's fairly common on Twitter.

However, regarding the good HS boys team, I'd take the UConn women ...hands down.

So, it's 1 to 1, anybody else want to jump in?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That's such a silly tweet. As great as our team is, a good high school boys team would lay the smack down on them, never mind if the UConn women had to play against men's D-I programs.
So I guess our male practice players should be HS boys then? You should probably let Geno know.

Reaction Score
So I guess our male practice players should be HS boys then? You should probably let Geno know.
Our male practice players are given specific instructions by the coaching staff as to what they can and cannot do. They are basically guys who like to play basketball but aren't on scholarship, and despite that are good enough to present a challenge to our players in practice. I hate these men vs. women comparisons because they aren't necessary, but inevitably it comes up whenever a women's team does something great like ours does on the reg. Men are faster, bigger, and stronger than women. It's no secret. Watch a men's basketball game then watch the women. It's like the women are being shown in slow motion. Never mind the men's love of the game above the rim. Do you ever attend First Night? If so you can see how our men's team is much better than the women despite not even making the tourney this year.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Our male practice players are given specific instructions by the coaching staff as to what they can and cannot do. They are basically guys who like to play basketball but aren't on scholarship, and despite that are good enough to present a challenge to our players in practice. I hate these men vs. women comparisons because they aren't necessary, but inevitably it comes up whenever a women's team does something great like ours does on the reg. Men are faster, bigger, and stronger than women. It's no secret. Watch a men's basketball game then watch the women. It's like the women are being shown in slow motion. Never mind the men's love of the game above the rim. Do you ever attend First Night? If so you can see how our men's team is much better than the women despite not even making the tourney this year.
So your point is... and I want this to be VERY clear, so please correct me if I am wrong. 1. You don't like the tweet because of the comparison between men's and women's sports. 2. Also, the men are better than the woman in your opinion; therefor, you don't agree with the tweet. 3. The male practice players couldn't even compete with a HS boys team, nor could our women's team. 4. HS boys are bigger, faster and stronger than woman's DI athletes.

Reaction Score
So your point is... and I want this to be VERY clear, so please correct me if I am wrong. 1. You don't like the tweet because of the comparison between men's and women's sports. 2. Also, the men are better than the woman in your opinion; therefor, you don't agree with the tweet. 3. The male practice players couldn't even compete with a HS boys team, nor could our women's team. 4. HS boys are bigger, faster and stronger than woman's DI athletes.
Yeah that's pretty much it. The male practice players could compete with high school boys because that's where a lot of them come from - high school boys teams. I'm speaking in generalities here. Is there a boys high school team out there that the UConn women could beat? Sure. But against a good high school program that has guys getting college scholarships? Probably not. The UConn women vs. men's teams comparisons are silly and not really fair.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Yeah that's pretty much it. The male practice players could compete with high school boys because that's where a lot of them come from - high school boys teams. I'm speaking in generalities here. Is there a boys high school team out there that the UConn women could beat? Sure. But against a good high school program that has guys getting college scholarships? Probably not. The UConn women vs. men's teams comparisons are silly and not really fair.
So the term "better" you are using is in reference to a direct vs. situation. A living personification of the tweet? Which I believe was meant as a compliment not a literal representation. Hmmm, I always wonder when I see comments like yours if that's the same thought process the WNBA or the NCAA or media outlets use when making decisions. Would be interesting to know what the players think too. Thanks for clarifying.

Reaction Score
View attachment 8907

I'm not sure, but I interpreted the tweet as an exaggerated compliment with humor as opposed to a literal prediction. That's fairly common on Twitter.

However, regarding the good HS boys team, I'd take the UConn women ...hands down.

So, it's 1 to 1, anybody else want to jump in?
So could Rhonda Rousey beat Floyd Mayweather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom