Satisfying, Traditional, UConn's current Game | The Boneyard

Satisfying, Traditional, UConn's current Game

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was looking at some recent high-light reels and realized that as well as the large point differential in the last few games,
there appears to be a return to "beautiful UConn BB," a concept in short supply for almost decade.

And why has this most stunning of visuals now appeared?
I'll take a stab at it and leave it to my fellow boneyarders to elaborate on...

Speed, athleticism, intelligence, selflessness, shooting ability and commitment to team D
seem the highest on the list.
and of course a coaching staff able to take advantage of the assets in front of their noses.

Think about it...For the last few games...a fearless, unappreciated freshman scored the early buckets and
got us going. The Jim Havlicek of UConn.

This is surely the most athletic and talented group in memory.

UConn "beautiful basketball" Lives!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
That would be John, but I get the comparison. They both play(ed) in constant motion.

Like Ashlynn, Havlicek had an endurance advantage over his opponents. He had unusually large lungs and a resting heartbeat of 42-44.

Havlicek also had a short memory, he would not hesitate to take his twelfth shot if he missed his first eleven. Ashlynn seems to be similarly forward thinking, move on to the next play.

This team is a whole lot of fun to watch right now with their movement, passing, and defensive intensity.

Reaction Score
I was looking at some recent high-light reels and realized that as well as the large point differential in the last few games,
there appears to be a return to "beautiful UConn BB," a concept in short supply for almost decade.

Speed, athleticism, intelligence, selflessness, shooting ability and commitment to team D
and of course a coaching staff able to take advantage of the assets in front of their noses.

Think about it...For the last few games...a fearless, unappreciated freshman scored the early buckets and

Gabby, Nurse, Collier, KLS, and Dangerfield did not play beautiful basketball?

4 had 100+ assists and Nurse had 98 assists in 2017-18. Beautiful basketball indeed.

2017-18 Women's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - University of Connecticut Athletics

Last year at UConn:

2018 Gabby & Nurse.
2019 Collier & KLS.
2020 Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
That would be John, but I get the comparison. They both play(ed) in constant motion.

Like Ashlynn, Havlicek had an endurance advantage over his opponents. He had unusually large lungs and a resting heartbeat of 42-44.

Havlicek also had a short memory, he would not hesitate to take his twelfth shot if he missed his first eleven. Ashlynn seems to be similarly forward thinking, move on to the next play.

This team is a whole lot of fun to watch right now with their movement, passing, and defensive intensity.

Secretariat had the heart of a champion. Pun intended. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While John Havlicek would be a heckuva compliment, the original poster probably did mean to reference his brother Jim who was a life insurance agent. Connecticut is now valuing the ball as if their lives depended on it. I think that is the analogy.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I also admired Fred Havlicek! The epitome of BB savvy!
Don't forget Uncle Nigel, coach of the Australian National Wombat Racing Team.

IMG_1469.jpeg

Reaction Score
As funny as it can be at times, I vote to phase out the 'derail a thread due to a grammar issue' trend. I once posted a thread where autocorrect changed 'Newton' to 'Newtown' and a very thoughtful post (if I may say so) dissolved into jokes about how nice Newtown is.

In short @msf22b I agree with you. This style of UConn basketball has been missed. I look fwd to watching every game- more than I have in years.

Reaction Score

How long is your memory? No disrespect, but I can think of more athletic and talented UConn teams.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
How long is your memory? No disrespect, but I can think of more athletic and talented UConn teams.
Ad hominem attack, @JohathanXIV. Couldn't let it pass this morning for some reason -- there's been a lot of little digs lately from many, and they make me wince.

You could have just said "I think the 2001 team was the most athletic and talented ever", for an instance, and let it go at that.

Reaction Score
How about some Non-traditional, but very satisfying info on the current UConn situation. Quick--don't check or ask anyone else---Name the 5 UConn players starting the 4th quarter against G town. For those who are concerned about the players getting "over worked" UConn has played 40% of the season already (the toughest part) Guess what the average minutes per game is for the current 5 starters? OK, when in the history of UConn did Geno have 4 freshman on the floor in the heart of a game (not mop-up? The final NON-traditional Geno is that he trusts 4 freshman in (almost) any game situation. That's speaking BE games.
I believe the Notre Dame game will have similar results, but I would not be surprised if the starters all go over 35 minutes in that game.

Question 1 - 4th Q starters were the 4 frosh and Ines.
Question 2 - Nika average 30.4 minutes a game and everyone else is below 30 minutes. Remember those are the minutes including almost 10 games with top teams. No one is getting tired!
Question 3 - From my knowledge following UConn closely for the last 15 years --Geno never had 4 frosh playing important minutes.
Through necessity or choice I like Geno's new rotation style. He seems more relaxed and has accepted "what is."

Final thought - Q will be an all around player to help. This past game Ice showed me something different and IMHO Ice will be a better more productive sub. Ines is quick and she has a very strong passing technique, but will be mop up with Amari. Some things stay the same.

Reaction Score
I still think the issue with Ice is being off for a year. Timing and endurance. She is not elevating on putbacks and seems to tire more quickly. She has to get into game shape. It's coming. Agree as to Q. Has to settle down, concentrate on her D and let the O just come her way.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
As funny as it can be at times, I vote to phase out the 'derail a thread due to a grammar issue' trend. I once posted a thread where autocorrect changed 'Newton' to 'Newtown' and a very thoughtful post (if I may say so) dissolved into jokes about how nice Newtown is.

In short @msf22b I agree with you. This style of UConn basketball has been missed. I look fwd to watching every game- more than I have in years.
As a semi-retired lexicographer, I am sensitive to orthographic derailments and the inherent chicanery they spawn. But grammar issues? As there are none visible in this thread, one must ask if misplaced praenomens have some tenuous link to grammar?

The best reply will be entered into a drawing, the winner of same to be awarded a jar of Teddie Most Grammatical Peanut Butter.

Back to the on rail…

IMG_1470.jpeg

Reaction Score
Ad hominem attack, @JohathanXIV. Couldn't let it pass this morning for some reason -- there's been a lot of little digs lately from many, and they make me wince.

You could have just said "I think the 2001 team was the most athletic and talented ever", for an instance, and let it go at that.

I apologize if you took my comment as an attack. It certainly wasn't meant to be. Instead it was an attempt to poke (slight) fun at your obvious hyperbole. I don't think that you truly believe this is the most athletic and talented UConn ever.

I get your overall point. This team is fun to watch. But I wince a little when I think of how athletic and talented this team would be if we had even half of our injured players back. Jana and Aubrey? Azzi and Caroline? We were deep. Now we are painfully thin with no margin for error. Crossing my fingers that this lack of depth and height isn't exposed as we get deeper into the season.

Reaction Score
As a semi-retired lexicographer, I am sensitive to orthographic derailments and the inherent chicanery they spawn. But grammar issues? As there are none visible in this thread, one must ask if misplaced praenomens have some tenuous link to grammar?

The best reply will be entered into a drawing, the winner of same to be awarded a jar of Teddie Most Grammatical Peanut Butter.

Back to the on rail…

View attachment 94921
Could you put this in English please? Or at least explain some of the words. ;)

Reaction Score

I previously mentioned the UConn team from 2017-18.

Exemplified beautiful basketball.
Athletic and talented.

3 AP All Americans.
1st team : KLS.
2nd team : Gabby.
3rd team : Pheesa.

As well as Nurse and Dangerfield.

4 players with 100+ assists and 1 player with 98.

UConn beautiful basketball.

Reaction Score

To be fair, that post you are referencing did include "no disrespect". That post did not include shouting [all caps] or name calling. Just my opinion.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Could you put this in English please? Or at least explain some of the words. ;)
At the risk of getting run out of town on a rail, or toppling a thread…sure!

As a semi-retired lexicographer, I used to help write dictionaries I am sensitive to orthographic derailments spelling screwups and the inherent chicanery they spawn. the trickery and deception that naturally comes from spelling blunders. But grammar issues? As there are none visible in this thread, Somebody said there were grammar mistakes, and there were none. one must ask if misplaced praenomens wrong first names have some tenuous link to grammar?

And the style was wayyyyy over the top, as a way of signaling that nobody should take it seriously…

But you already knew all that. You were just taking the mickey.

IMG_1471.png

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I apologize if you took my comment as an attack. It certainly wasn't meant to be. Instead it was an attempt to poke (slight) fun at your obvious hyperbole. I don't think that you truly believe this is the most athletic and talented UConn ever.

I get your overall point. This team is fun to watch. But I wince a little when I think of how athletic and talented this team would be if we had even half of our injured players back. Jana and Aubrey? Azzi and Caroline? We were deep. Now we are painfully thin with no margin for error. Crossing my fingers that this lack of depth and height isn't exposed as we get deeper into the season.
It wasn't me, it was msf22b, who had qualified his statement with "within memory". So, for him it's perhaps not hyperbole.

I used what I believe is the most and best team in my example.

I know your statement was relatively tame, but it was still a poke at the capabilities of someone you know very little about. That's been happening a lot here lately and it was just one straw too many this morning.

Sorry if I offended.

Reaction Score
IMO, the most talented teams we've had since Stewie, Moe and Tuck graduated were the team upset by Mississippi St. in the FF in 2017 and then Gabby's senior year. The 2017-18 team had Pheesa, KLS, Azura Stevens, Gabby, Kia Nurse, CD 3, and MW. By my count, there were 4 AA, current and future, on that team (Pheesa (2x), KLS (2x), Gabby (1x WBCA only) and MW (1x)). Since then, we haven't had a team with that many.

Reaction Score
Final thought - Q will be an all around player to help. This past game Ice showed me something different and IMHO Ice will be a better more productive sub. Ines is quick and she has a very strong passing technique, but will be mop up with Amari. Some things stay the same.
Excellent post! I'll just think about Inês for a second.

Last season she was in over her head in a few games, but played with a lot of heart. She won a lot of us over as fans when she sank that game ending free throw against Princeton. Last season, she showed some defensive intensity, shot the 3 pretty well, finished at the rim, and got some steals, some assists. There was something to build on there. I wonder if she can start from there, or if she's too rusty and will have to start from scratch. She averaged 9 mins/g and if she could give Geno that much this season, it might help a lot. But this could depend on her making herself into a real offensive option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom