Satellite Camps Banned | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Satellite Camps Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Don't agree with this at all. SEC wins another with NCAA:

THis was mostly Nick Saban and Alabama. THe guy is a phenominal coach, but cannot stand it when he doesn't have a distinct advantage. The rest of the SEC has been getting the shaft by Alabama like this for years. The NCAA cowers before them.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
No offense but that article is dumb. The kid had 5 offers before Nebraska saw him, he would have been fine.

None taken- none of those 5 offers were exactly elite offers though. Its like if you were at a career fair coming out of college and you had a job offering you $40k to do desk work but you meet an out of town employer offering you $65k for meaningful work. Doesn't mean you can't be successful from both places it just means one is offering you an advantage.

I just post tweets and links I see to keep this thread up since I think this rule will be changed within a year. Too much backlash against it for something not to give. Mike Leach said the PAC12 was 11-1 in favor of satellite camps and yet they voted as a conference against it. Makes no sense.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
None taken- none of those 5 offers were exactly elite offers though. Its like if you were at a career fair coming out of college and you had a job offering you $40k to do desk work but you meet an out of town employer offering you $65k for meaningful work. Doesn't mean you can't be successful from both places it just means one is offering you an advantage.

I just post tweets and links I see to keep this thread up since I think this rule will be changed within a year. Too much backlash against it for something not to give. Mike Leach said the PAC12 was 11-1 in favor of satellite camps and yet they voted as a conference against it. Makes no sense.
Right, but going to Nebraska doesn't really mean squat from a football player development standpoint. There are solid Temple kids in the NFL, Blake Bortles was the #5 overall pick. This is not the difference between a degree from Harvard and UMass Lowell. If you want to play in the NFL and have skills, the NFL finds you. If you want to debate which is going to be the better football experience, well of course that will be Nebraska unless he ends up getting homesick or gets stuck on the bench. I can see the argument about a kid with no D1 offers getting "discovered" at one of these camps, but kids with multiple offers are no stranger to major universities.

Reaction Score
LOL... Wow

DanWolken 8:54pm via Twitter Web Client
Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott: Rep cast incorrect vote on satellite camp ban

>>Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Wednesday night that the league’s representative on the Council, UCLA athletics director Dan Guerrero, “Did not vote the way he was supposed to vote.” Scott said 11 of the conference’s member schools favored the existence of satellite camps. When asked which school did not, he said, “I’m not gonna say. Form your own conclusion.”<<

>>The 10-5 vote in favor of the ban would have been 8-7 against a ban had the Pac-12 and Sun Belt voted in the way their constituencies expected. The ACC, Big 12, Mountain West, Pac-12, SEC and Sun Belt voted for a camp ban, with the American, Big Ten, Conference USA and Mid-American voting against. Power Five conference votes count for two points in the voting structure, with Group of Five conference votes counting for one.<<

FoxSports: The great satellite camp debate appears to be far from over

Drew

Reaction Score
LOL... Wow

>>Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Wednesday night that the league’s representative on the Council, UCLA athletics director Dan Guerrero, “Did not vote the way he was supposed to vote.” Scott said 11 of the conference’s member schools favored the existence of satellite camps. When asked which school did not, he said, “I’m not gonna say. Form your own conclusion.”<<

>>The 10-5 vote in favor of the ban would have been 8-7 against a ban had the Pac-12 and Sun Belt voted in the way their constituencies expected. The ACC, Big 12, Mountain West, Pac-12, SEC and Sun Belt voted for a camp ban, with the American, Big Ten, Conference USA and Mid-American voting against. Power Five conference votes count for two points in the voting structure, with Group of Five conference votes counting for one.<<

lol wow. thats ridiculous. almost similar to an electoral college member voting incorrectly.

I do agree with the title of the article though. This appears far from over. Think eventually it'll come to the camps being allowed but regulated i.e. no more than 3-5 per school per calendar year.

Reaction Score
lol wow. thats ridiculous. almost similar to an electoral college member voting incorrectly.

I do agree with the title of the article though. This appears far from over. Think eventually it'll come to the camps being allowed but regulated i.e. no more than 3-5 per school per calendar year.

Based on the discussion here and in the press, I am in agreement that these camps should also be allowed. That said, I think in addition to your note, i.e. a cap on the number of such events per school, they will also prohibit such camps from being held at a high school campus, such as IMG. Just too many ways how that can get fouled-up.

Reaction Score
LOL... Wow

That basically sounds like the 3/5 compromise, but we're getting shafted even harder

Drew

Reaction Score
This is hilarious:

Reaction Score
I'm curious to see what the rest of the PAC-12 and Sunbelt presidents and reps are going to do to these guys. I can't see how they can blatantly go against the majority of the conference (Sunbelt) or vote the exact opposite of what your commissioner told you to vote and not get some sore of punishment. But then again the NCAA is still "investigating" UNC

Drew

Reaction Score

DoJ looking into Satellite Camp ban

Drew

Reaction Score

Huge development here as NCAA reverses ban on satellite camps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online