Santa Ono leaving Cincinnati for.....Canada. | The Boneyard

Santa Ono leaving Cincinnati for.....Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

President of the University of British Columbia. UBC, if you will. This is a fairly big blow to UC's profile and perception. He isn't leaving for a B1G school that's an obvious step up, this is easily perceived as a lateral or backwards move.

In fairness to him, it appears he's originally from Vancouver, so that probably played a role in the decision.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Wow, not a great indication that Cincy is going to be a P5 school anytime soon.

Does athletic conference really figure into a university president's employment preferences? Yes, athletics may be 10% of the university budget ... but the other 90% may matter more for his job satisfaction.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
He was born in Vancouver and his father was a professor there...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Does athletic conference really figure into a university president's employment preferences? Yes, athletics may be 10% of the university budget ... but the other 90% may matter more for his job satisfaction.

Exactly.

You work for who you work for, which explains his efforts on behalf of Cincy, but I don't think this means a hell of a lot in terms of Cincy's chances.

BUT...given the timing, it does look interesting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would seem if he thought Cinci was close he'd stay for the touchdown dance. Spoiler alert - the Big 12 is going to use the pro rata to leverage more money without expanding. Those crazy think they can poach P5 schools in the future.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
... and, independent of those facts, it's also absolutely a major jump up.
UBC is a major research institution in Canada. Not that there are that many of them.

Reaction Score
His resume as a professor, etc.. is in research also i believe. I don't think he was from an administrative pedigree.

Reaction Score
UBC is a major research institution in Canada. Not that there are that many of them.
No doubt, yet the latter is fairly consistent with most western nations with populations of roughly 35 million and not force feeding too many young people into university studies as in the US. Regardless, UBC's a high quality university and Vamcouver's certainly more likeable than Cincinnati.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Watch out WAC - you've got a new stalker.

Dear Grand Canyon University... you seem like the kind of school that would love a road game where the drinking age is 18.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I thought this article was gonna be about Syracuse.

I have to admit that my initial reaction was "wow, he's going to Syracuse??".

Reaction Score

President of the University of British Columbia. UBC, if you will. This is a fairly big blow to UC's profile and perception. He isn't leaving for a B1G school that's an obvious step up, this is easily perceived as a lateral or backwards move.

In fairness to him, it appears he's originally from Vancouver, so that probably played a role in the decision.

UBC is a great school, not a lateral move.

Reaction Score
Clearly this news reinforces whatever pre-existing narrative you already had about Cincy and their P5 aspirations.

Reaction Score
No doubt, yet the latter is fairly consistent with most western nations with populations of roughly 35 million and not force feeding too many young people into university studies as in the US. Regardless, UBC's a high quality university and Vamcouver's certainly more likeable than Cincinnati.

Looking at Canada's numbers they are near the very top of the OECD with university degrees for 28% of the population. USA is at 30% while Norway is at 34%. Where Canada does better is having students complete degrees, whereas in the USA, 60% of our students go on to some school (could be Barbizon) but only 30% finish.

Reaction Score
First of all, I don't fault him for going home. Vancouver is a first class city. UBC is a great major university. He was a great president for Cincy. It is big loss for Cincy.

Reaction Score

Are you thinking with your Football brain? University of British Columbia is a major GLOBAL University. Beyond Cincinnati. And beyond what I would perceive for SOME of the B1G. Step up for sure.

Reaction Score
Are you thinking with your Football brain? University of British Columbia is a major GLOBAL University. Beyond Cincinnati. And beyond what I would perceive for SOME of the B1G. Step up for sure.
Well yes, for the purposes of conference realignment I am thinking about this from an athletic/football perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom