Sanogo Okafor Comparison At This Stage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo Okafor Comparison At This Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Two games is far too few to judge his career potential. Let's let the young fella play at least 4 or 5 games. Then, we judge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Toraino Walker before JC ran him out of the program.

Toraino ran himself out of the program

Physically yes. I mentioned this in the chat room the other night. @superjohn correctly mentioned Sanogo is a much better offensive player than Toraino, but in terms of being physically ready down low on day one, I still think that is the best UConn comp.

Reaction Score
My two cents..Out of respect for Emeka's impressive resume at UConn.. I will wait for AS to play two or three seasons before making any comparisons... AS has potential.. Not sure if it's Emeka potential..

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Someone looked up such meaningful games of Oak's career such as Marathon Oil?

The squad is clearly better, but yet struggled for long stretches against CCSU and UHa.

At least the guy comparing people to better players of the dark years is at least being realistic. Oak was beating on future NBA players as a freshman. Let's woah up a bit until they beat somebody good.

Reaction Score
Okafor was great, but Sanogo appears to have the potential to be even better.

Okafor was the #2 player taken in the NBA draft. So Sanogo would have to become the #1 player in the draft to be considered better.

BTW, Okafor was miles ahead Sanogo on defense at this point in his career. EO was an incredible shot blocker with impeccable timing. Sanogo has shown nothing of the sort.

Sanogo appears to have a world of potntial. But let's stay on Earth with these posts.

Reaction Score
Interesting comparison. But this makes me more curious as to the story of JC running him out of the program please tell me how this happened?

Anyway Sanogo can be a much better Oriahki to me. His offense is already better as his left hand is really good.
Watch the Maui Invitational from 2010 and then tell me Sanogo's offense is better than Oriahki's

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Watch the Maui Invitational from 2010 and then tell me Sanogo's offense is better than Oriahki's
Oriakhi didn't improve much over his career but he came in and was an instant impact player. Very mature for a freshman in terms of game as a big.

Reaction Score
Each had/have talent in their own way.. Don't know if AS will ever have the vertical jumping ability of Mek.. But smart players play to their strengths and limit exposing their weaknesses.. AS is a space- eater with his size.. Uses his body well..
\
I can't say we've seen enough evidence about Sanogo's jumping ability or lack thereof yet, but I can say Okafor stuffed many dunk attempts against the rim as a freshman. He couldn't get off the floor high enough to dunk. That improved dramatically by his sophomore year though and the rest is history.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The Maui Invitational was Oriakhi's sophomore season, Sanogo is going to be better than Oriakhi.
Yeah my point was he was the same then as he was as a freshman, which was a very effective player, but not a star by any stretch

Reaction Score
\
I can't say we've seen enough evidence about Sanogo's jumping ability or lack thereof yet, but I can say Okafor stuffed many dunk attempts against the rim as a freshman. He couldn't get off the floor high enough to dunk. That improved dramatically by his sophomore year though and the rest is history.
Definitely small sample size for AS.. Coach Mike can help with the hops.. Exciting future for him.. Looking forward to this week's games and watch him bang with some bigger guys..

Reaction Score
And yet, only Okafor was named Conference Player of the Year, and neither was judged NCAA Player if the Year :rolleyes:

I didn't say NCAA player of the year, I said Okafor and Walker were each the best player in the country their JR. year. That's my opinion and I stand by it with confidence. Jameer Nelson and Jimmer Fredette don't have any championship rings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok, so for giggles I decided to look up Okafor’s first two games for comparison. In 2001, we played Vanderbilt and New Hampshire as the first games of the season. Okafor had a monster first game(Vandy) and came back to earth second game(NH). He averaged 8.5 pts, 9.5 rbs, 3 blk per game.
By contrast, against CCSU and Hartford Sanogo averaged 8 pts, 4.5 rbs, .5 blk.
Points may be similar, but Okafar more than doubled his rebounds and had 6x as many blocks.
Okafor also started and played more minutes, so take it for what it’s worth.

I like Sanogo, but let’s give his some time to grow into a better college player and enjoy it while we can!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I didn't say NCAA player of the year, I said Okafor and Walker were each the best player in the country their JR. year. That's my opinion and I stand by it with confidence. Jameer Nelson and Jimmer Fredette don't have any championship rings.
I was rolling eyes at the Big East and the NCAA, not you. They were both best in conference and NCAA that year, in addition to NCs. And I think I'd give the edge to Kemba too, but the 11 game stretch gets counted in, as well as Makers Muppet.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Okafor was the #2 player taken in the NBA draft. So Sanogo would have to become the #1 player in the draft to be considered better.

This seems like a weird way to authoritatively rank players. Was Anthony Bennett a better player than Okafor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom