Saniya Chong....wow!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong....wow!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
No offense to Moriah, but Saniya will be a better all-around basketball player. First, she's taller, and I would say by more than two inches. She's a much better shooter, passer and rebounder, who also happens to block shots. When you watch her make no look passes it's because she has court awareness; she knows where the other players on her team are positioned. We are looking at an offensive juggernaut. If we can find someone to take over for Kelly and lead the charge defensively, we will be even better than last year. Stef and Bria will be healthy, Brianna will be back, Stewie and Kaleena still have a long way to go - isn't that scary - and Saniya will fit right in. If Kia makes the leap that everyone knows she can, we could be unstoppable. If walk-on Pope can play, that just makes us that much tougher. More depth, more running, more scoring.
I agree with most of what u say except for about Soniya being better than Mo Jef. She may become better. But Mo Jef was the consensus #1 or #2 point guard in the country! Soniya wasn't nearly rated as high at her position. We haven't had a true point guard since Renee M. If anything, it's hopefully Mo Jef that will make Soniya look better! Hard to compare her HS video, and assume she will come in and be an impact player.we have a loaded team and weaker division/schedule which will help. We will be so dominant, with everyone returning except for Kelly- no offense to Kelly whose all revere----but we will be a better basketball team this year. Or at least we should be!

Reaction Score
I'll wait for both to be upperclassmen before worrying about comparisons. I expect both to be super players and a lot of whining on the board about why this one or that one isn't starting or getting more minutes. Trust Geno.

Explain to me then how the player of the year is ranked where she is? Explain to me how someone ranked where Saniya is played so well at the Nike tournament against the top competition? Scouts don't know everything, which is why Kelly was recruited by only UConn and Notre Dame. Do you think those other coaches kicked themselves after seeing what kind of player Kelly became? Save your rankings; they are meaningless as Kelly showed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How about Bird? Serious question - I'd have to 'roll tape' and watch closely. Regardless, it doesn't get much more balanced than Saniya.
There are players like Sue who are capable of going to their non-dominant side with great skill. That ability, however, is not the type of ambidextarity one sees in Saniya.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Explain to me then how the player of the year is ranked where she is? Explain to me how someone ranked where Saniya is played so well at the Nike tournament against the top competition? Scouts don't know everything, which is why Kelly was recruited by only UConn and Notre Dame. Do you think those other coaches kicked themselves after seeing what kind of player Kelly became? Save your rankings; they are meaningless as Kelly showed.
Chris, I did not mention rankings or any service but they are certainly worth more as the basis for a starting place than your or my opinion on a bulletin board. I said I'll wait to see their performance before I render judgment. MoJo's ranking, however, does have some things that make it exception before you choose to ignore it. It is the highest score EVER given to a PG by Hoopgurlz, 98. She was indeed the #1 PG in her class and the #1 or 2 player overall. She had been heavily watched. Most gross errors happen when kids like Saniya are not seen broadly and repeatedly because they aren't on the major AAU teams. I expect Saniya to be far better than expected by the rating services but I, also, expect MoJeff to be fantastic so I'll wait to judge them head to head.

BTW, you will not find where I have dismissed in any way Saniya's awesome skills, especially, in this thread. I am a big fan. I am, also, the leader of the trust Geno fan club. It is enough for me that Geno wanted both.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Isn't it great we have them both? I cant wait til they both have some playtime under their belt and adapt to college BB. Its gonna be amazin.
My only concern this season is we have a short bench and next season we will have a couple of players still coming back from injuries that they sustained last season. Even though they are cleared to play we have seen some come back and some not and with a short bench it could be a problem.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No offense to Moriah, but Saniya will be a better all-around basketball player.
No offense to Chong, but if that turns out to be true, I will be 1) very surprised and 2) very happy.

I expect Jefferson to be an AA and win the Nancy Lieberman award before she is done at UCONN. If Chong can out do Jefferson, that will make everyone a very happy camper. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Explain to me then how the player of the year is ranked where she is?
Well the opposite could be asked, explain how someone ranked where she is can be player of the year???

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well the opposite could be asked, explain how someone ranked where she is can be player of the year???

Different criteria? In Psychology, one evaluates criteria on their ability to predict what they are intended to predict...called predictive validity, a measured displayed a a statistical correlation.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Different criteria? In Psychology, one evaluates criteria on their ability to predict what they are intended to predict...called predictive validity, a measured displayed a a statistical correlation.

While your explanation was way too complex for my simple mind, you are correct. Rankings have different criteria than the Parade award.

Her HS senior year was amazing. Her 34 ppg, 9 apg, 6 rpg, 5 steals per game. I'd challenge anyone to find a HS player last season with better stats. Add on the fact that her team won the NY state championship. Add on her great performance at the Nike of 30 ppg and 9 rpg against very good competition.

All of these things were used by Parade to determine their player of the year.

I would try to explain how recruiting sites come up with their rankings, but I don't totally understand their process. I know they weigh heavily in favor of players they see vs not see in AAU ball and Chong didn't play AAU ball.

Reaction Score
Both Saniya and Moriah have outstanding agility, speed and bb acumen. What is perplexing, to me at least, is that neither of them has the build of a phenom. In bb at the highest level, size matters; especially in games where the refs "let them play" meaning where pushing and shoving are considered non-contact.

For both, the question will be whether the "light and fast" skill sets they each have will exceed the inherent lack of height and bulk that neither of them has?

I think they will each exceed expectations (if that is possible in the BY, where expectations start high and go up from there), but I think doing so will take time. Mo might be ready now. Saniya might have to go through the same ordeal Stewie went through last year; i.e., learning to cope with the physicality of the game at this level.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Different criteria?
Kinda my point to chris.

In Psychology, one evaluates criteria on their ability to predict what they are intended to predict...called predictive validity, a measured displayed a a statistical correlation.
Psychology, miscychology. You believe that stuff? :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you see Saniya and when she has some experience at the college level you will see what she can do . She has great instincts and anticipation to go with great skills. She is quick, can use either hand, can drive the lane using either hand and can dial it up from downtown and beyond. When I saw her play against Sierra and CTK she had a stomach virus and in the 4th qtr when the game was on the line she delivered on both offense and defense scoring over 20 pts in the 4th qtr. It was amazing.

Reaction Score
When you see Saniya and when she has some experience at the college level you will see what she can do . She has great instincts and anticipation to go with great skills. She is quick, can use either hand, can drive the lane using either hand and can dial it up from downtown and beyond. When I saw her play against Sierra and CTK she had a stomach virus and in the 4th qtr when the game was on the line she delivered on both offense and defense scoring over 20 pts in the 4th qtr. It was amazing.

The game v CTK was a good indicator of what to expect from Saniya, who out scored Sierra Calhoun, despite, as said above, playing through sickness. Prior to that game, Ossining had fared poorly in the Nike tournament, as a team, but that outcome was probably not a reflection on Saniya.

We do not know why she was not more highly regarded by rating agencies. The only things that might, objectively, be held against her that I can think of are: 1-high school league (Being outclassed in Nike tournament, for example); 2-physical build.

Here's what I expect, assuming the creek don't rise...:

Ability to play into rotation as a frosh, moreso as a soph. Starter as a junior. AA as a senior.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Absolutely...a criteria is only as good as its ability to predict what it sez it is supposed to predict.
Psychology :rolleyes: (just teasing :D)

I do remember my freshmen year in college they made us take the Minnesota test (MMPI??), the 600 question one?? About half way through it starts repeating questions but in a different manner. Recognizing this, and being an 18 yo, I decided to mess with them and answering the questions in the opposite way from the prior questions. I got a letter from the Psychology Dept. stating I could come in to talk to them at any time if I was having any "problems". :rolleyes:. I laughed and threw the letter away. (Although some on here, after interacting with me over the years, would probably think they may have been on to something.)

A couple years later had to take it for the Navy (submarines), decided I better do it straight up this time. Most Psych tests you can push anyway you want to get the results you want, I've found.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Psychology :rolleyes: (just teasing :D)

I do remember my freshmen year in college they made us take the Minnesota test (MMPI??), the 600 question one?? About half way through it starts repeating questions but in a different manner. Recognizing this, and being an 18 yo, I decided to mess with them and answering the questions in the opposite way from the prior questions. I got a letter from the Psychology Dept. stating I could come in to talk to them at any time if I was having any "problems". :rolleyes:. I laughed and threw the letter away. (Although some on here, after interacting with me over the years, would probably think they may have been on to something.)

A couple years later had to take it for the Navy (submarines), decided I better do it straight up this time. Most Psych tests you can push anyway you want to get the results you want, I've found.

The MMPI is atheoretical, so you can’t mess with it...i.e. ,there is nothing to behind the test to mess with. Answers to questions are based upon empirical question results obtained from individuals diagnosed within certain DSM categories.

Sorry to all for thread misdirection.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The MMPI is atheoretical, so you can’t mess with it...i.e. ,there is nothing to behind the test to mess with. Answers to questions are based upon empirical question results obtained from individuals diagnosed within certain DSM categories.

Your posts make me crazy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well I did, soooooo......??? :confused:

Reading it closer I did say "mess with them". Maybe not "it" but "them".

Reaction Score

Amen, rankings are way over rated and way over discussed. The only rankings I trust are how intensely Geno et.al. are pursuing them.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That is absolutely true re the experts re. Kelly. Lets hope they are as wrong about Saniya!!! I can't believe our coaches would want her if they didn't think she was capable.

Reaction Score
"She also shot 87 percent from the foul line.

In her career, Chong scored at least 30 points in 51 of her 96 high school games.

Despite her reputation and ability as a scorer (108 three-points in 27 games last season)"

Wow, looking at these things make me think of KML. Can you imagine the team next season with KML and Chong shooting and hitting 100 + three pointers each, and both being close to 90% from the foul line. I cannot help but start to feel a little excited about the prospects for next years team. Also with a healthy Dolson, Hartley, and Banks. And hopefully the tournament Stewart.... I better stop I am starting to smile already...

Reaction Score
In bb at the highest level, size matters; especially in games where the refs "let them play" meaning where pushing and shoving are considered non-contact.

You sure about that?

Signed,

Tyrone "Muggsy" Bogues
Charlotte Hornets & others (1987-2001) 5 ft 3 in, 136 lbs, 889 NBA games played. 28 inches shorter than one of his teammates.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You sure about that?

Signed,

Tyrone "Muggsy" Bogues
Charlotte Hornets & others (1987-2001) 5 ft 3 in, 136 lbs, 889 NBA games played. 28 inches shorter than one of his teammates.

"Tiny" Nate Archibald

Reaction Score
"Tiny" Nate Archibald

And Spud Webb. I met him once in Atlanta. He was 5' 7" and even lighter than Muggsy. I was struck by how thin and delicate his wrists were. But it didn't stop him from winning the NBA slam dunk contest in 1986.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom