San Diego State Scouting Report | The Boneyard

San Diego State Scouting Report

Reaction Score
San Diego State (26-10)
#17 in KenPom
44th in D1 experience

117th in minutes continuity (47.1%)

53rd in Offensive efficiency (75th last year)
  • 63rd in offensive rebounding rate
  • 67th in FT rate; 73.3 FT% (118th)
    • Jaedon LeDee averages 7.7 fouls/drawn per 40 and shoots 73.7% from FT
  • 109th in turnover prevention
  • 120th in 2P% (51.7%)
  • 161st in 3PA/FGA (38%), 31.8% from three (283th)
    • No one on team has a 3P% higher than 35% (Elijah Saunders) but everyone in their rotation, except for back up big Miles Heide, shot at least one three-per-game
  • 171st in A/FGM ratio (50.7%)
  • 197th in offensive tempo (17.7 seconds/possession)

9th in Defensive efficiency (4th last year)
  • 23rd in opp. 3P% (30.8%); but 285th in 3PA/FGA (40.3%)
  • 28th in slowest defensive tempo (18.3 seconds/possession)
  • 49th in block rate
    • Jay Pal 7.1%
    • Miles Heide 6.6%
    • Myles Byrd 5.5%
    • What’s interesting is that LeDee and Elijah Saunders, who ostensibly shares the PF role with Jay Pal, is NOT a rim protector.
  • 63rd in steal rate
    • Byrd 3.7%
    • Butler 3.3%
    • Trammell 2.6%
    • Parrish 2.5%
  • 65th in opp 2P% (47.7%)
  • 83rd in opp FT% (70.3); but 202nd in FT Rate prevention (which means they foul a lot)
    • Surprisingly, LeDee averages just 3.0 fouls per 40 minutes played
  • 126th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 134th in A/FGM prevention (49.1%)

San Diego State's MWC Conference Stats

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 3.10.07 PM.jpg

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Darrion Trammell 5’10 175 fifth-year returnee

Lamont Butler 6’2 205 senior
  • #2 rated defender

Micah Parrish 6’6 195 senior

Jay Pal 6’9 185 senior transfer from Campbell
  • #3 rated defender

Jason LeDee 6’9 240 fifth-year returnee
  • Ranks as KenPom’s fourth most valuable player in the nation (Newton is 3rd)

KEY INJURIES - none

FREQUENTLY USED BENCH PIECES - 29.5% minutes (211st in nation)

Reese Waters 6’6 212 junior transfer from USC
  • Plays close to starter’s minutes at SF

Elijah Saunders 6’8 225 sophomore
  • Shares PF position w/ Jay Pal in about equal time

Miles Byrd 6’7 185 sophomore
  • Top rated defender

Miles Heide 6’10 224 freshman
  • Lowest rated defender

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 2.57.34 PM.jpg

Just four players return from last year’s roster, but there are a ton of similarities between this year and last year’s San Diego State team.

The next two paragraphs are a literal copy-and-paste (aside from the numbers of years) from last year’s report:

While Steve Fisher is the architect of the San Diego State program, Brian Dutcher, the associate head coach under Fisher, has admirably continued the program’s success post-Fisher, leading the Aztecs to the NCAA Tournament in six of the seven seasons with Dutcher at the helm and their first Final Four and Championship Final in program history.

Continuing the tradition of Steve Fisher, for decades San Diego State has lived up their tradition as a hard-nosed, physical defensive squad that grinds their teams to a glacial pace.

Even though the roster is quite different: a lot of the analytics are pretty much the same or pretty darn similar, but the biggest difference of this year’s team is that while last year’s squad had an even opportunity frontcourt (four guys averaged between 16 and 22 minutes per game), this year’s squad has a clear star: Jaedon LeDee. The 6’9 240 fifth-year returnee has more than doubled his points-per-game average while also adding the three-point shot to his arsenal. On defense, LeDee can guard multiple positions and can switch with ease thanks to his surprisingly quick feet.

Outside of LeDee’s massive improvement, the rest of the roster fits a similar vibe of last year’s: the other top eight guys in the rotation play a lot and neither player possess an alpha offensive role like LeDee. Last year, big guard Matt Bradley was the defensive focus. This year, LeDee.

Outside of LeDee, the returning rotation pieces are in the backcourt with starters Lamont Butler, Darrion Trammell and Micah Parrish. Like last year, rather than relying on one point guard, all three share the distribution duties (average between 1.9-3.3 assists per game), neither are big time scorers (7.9p-9.4 ppg) and all three are excellent defenders (Butler was selected to this year’s MWC All-Defensive team while both Trammell and Parrish were selected to the same teams in their respective conferences prior to transferring to San Diego State in 2022). Out of the three, Butler is the best penetrator and least willing three-point shooter while Trammell/Parrish are pretty split even in 2PAs and 3PAs.

New to the backcourt is USC transfer Reese Waters and sophomore returnee Miles Byrd. Waters was the reigning Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year winner and plays a similar role with San Diego State this season as a three-level scorer off the bench and a more than capable defender. Waters is San Diego State’s best three-point shooter and at 6’6 212 he is pound-for-pound the strongest player on the team, outside of LeDee.

The frontcourt features most of the newcomers. After defensive stud Aguek Arop graduated and Keshad Johnson grad transferred to Arizona, grad transfer Jay Pal and homegrown sophomore Elijah Saunders share the power forward position pretty evenly in playing time. Jay Pal reminds me a lot of Akok Akok, an incredibly long, athletic rim running power forward who is an elite blocker and can also stretch the floor. At 6’9 185, Pal has done an excellent job silencing the questions of whether or not he can handle the physicality of the Mountain West despite his slim frame, as he is the team’s best rebounder outside of LeDee. Saunders is an efficient, three-level scorer who is the team’s second best perimeter weapon and while he does not possess the defensive upside of Pal, he’s not a slouch on D either. If LeDee gets into foul trouble, the drop off between him and true freshman Miles Heide is massive. Johnson should play every single second that LeDee is on the bench, so Clingan’s minutes can be prioritized facing against LeDee.

So overall, the plan of attack is very different than last year: in the title game, the offense or a particular player’s offensive performance wasn’t a main focus, while this year, it’s all about Jason LeDee. However, in San Diego State’s ten losses, LeDee averaged 18.7 ppg (with a game low of thirteen points) so LeDee gets his win or lose.

On offense, I’m most interested to see how the Huskies compete against San Diego State’s “big lineups” that feature one true guard (Butler or Trammell) and 6’7 defensive stud Miles Byrd at the 2.

Reaction Score
Heh, given our recent struggles from the perimeter -- and the fact that us shooting and missing a ton of 3s is basically the one way we have a chance of losing -- I don't love seeing that SDSU's top-10 defense is largely centered around their ability to produce a lot of 3-point misses.

Given the size of our guards and the fact that they're not a great shooting team (last night notwithstanding), I expect our on-ball D to be paramount. LeDee will score, and hopefully we won't accrue a ton of fouls in the process, but the other threat is LeDee being used as a screener, sealing off Clingan and their smaller guys beating Spencer or Newton.

Matchup-wise, obviously we'll have Clingan on LeDee. Karaban on Pal makes sense, Pal isn't at risk of overpowering him.

Can we get away with Spencer on the taller Parrish? He shoots more 3s than 2s, so that might be a decent fit.

That leaves Castle to lock down Butler, and Newton on Trammel, both of whom do most of their shooting from inside.

Reaction Score
If we only had an offense that never stopped, that created a ton of easy buckets with cuts and movement. If we only had a big man 4 inches taller than the opponent center who we can go to for easy buckets. If we only had multiple guards that can penetrate and create off the dribble. If we had multiple guards capable of lighting it up from 3. And if we had a bench that went 8 deep with no noticeable drop off.
If we had those things, I would like our chances against San Diego freaking State.

Reaction Score
Heh, given our recent struggles from the perimeter -- and the fact that us shooting and missing a ton of 3s is basically the one way we have a chance of losing -- I don't love seeing that SDSU's top-10 defense is largely centered around their ability to produce a lot of 3-point misses.

Given the size of our guards and the fact that they're not a great shooting team (last night notwithstanding), I expect our on-ball D to be paramount. LeDee will score, and hopefully we won't accrue a ton of fouls in the process, but the other threat is LeDee being used as a screener, sealing off Clingan and their smaller guys beating Spencer or Newton.

Matchup-wise, obviously we'll have Clingan on LeDee. Karaban on Pal makes sense, Pal isn't at risk of overpowering him.

Can we get away with Spencer on the taller Parrish? He shoots more 3s than 2s, so that might be a decent fit.

That leaves Castle to lock down Butler, and Newton on Trammel, both of whom do most of their shooting from inside.
Last night showed that we don't need to hit 3's to win. I'd be more worried about a team that can shut us down inside, and we have a bad night shooting from outside. I respect SDSU's defense, but if they are better at the perimeter, I like our chances.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I'm also an SDSU grad so I watch them frequently. Ledee played well against us in the final last year. He is elite at drawing fouls so DC will need to be careful. But if DC is on the floor, I think Ledee will struggle as DC can be very effective at challenging his mid-range and at the hoop attempts. I fear that SJ will really struggle in covering Ledee.
Other than Ledee, SDSU has struggled mightily on offense for most of the season, although they shot well from deep against Yale.
The style is very similar to last year, but the talent level is a step weaker.
But of course, we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!

Reaction Score
If we only had an offense that never stopped, that created a ton of easy buckets with cuts and movement. If we only had a big man 4 inches taller than the opponent center who we can go to for easy buckets. If we only had multiple guards that can penetrate and create off the dribble. If we had multiple guards capable of lighting it up from 3. And if we had a bench that went 8 deep with no noticeable drop off.
If we had those things, I would like our chances against San Diego freaking State.
As well as our chances against anybody else out there.

Reaction Score
Daniel Marshall is in his first year as the strength and conditioning coach at SDSU. He spent the last five years at Arizona State with Bobby and the four years before that at URI with Danny (left when Danny did). Good guy, great at his job, and turned current UConn GA Andre Berry into a serviceable college big.

Does anyone but me care about this? Probably not, but it will be good to see him again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are some teams that have mediocre 3 pt shooting percentages because their opponents focus on stopping the 3, and there are teams like SDSU where they get open 3's and they just can't hit them. I also think SDSU relies too much on 1-on-1 dribble penetration to win at the Sweet 16 level.

They can defend, although they foul a little too much.

I think Dutcher has done an amazing job with a so/so team, and a great coach can win any single game, but I like the way UConn matches up against this team.

Reaction Score
A big part of Newton's success in the championship game was using his height advantage to get good shots. This year an improved Newton counts Castle and Spencer as additional players capable of exploiting this advantage depending on matchups.

And that is just late clock situations after the offense failed to generate a good luck earlier in the possession. It is should be a good night for offensive efficiency.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I’m encouraged that their 3-point shooting is so mediocre.

I think the most likely threat to a repeat is some team shooting the lights out from 3 a la Creighton.

Anything can happen but I’m seeing a lot of just-fair shooters on SDSU.

Reaction Score
When we were focused in we held Northwestern to 18 points in the first half. That’s not bad defense.

Reaction Score
If Castle ends up with him, he will abuse him in the lane.
And I’m so here for it

They should be gunning for that switch whenever they can. Either he switches and gets abused, or fights through the screen and someone winds up wide open

Reaction Score
Stunt and recover.

This "stunt and recover" D seems best suited to handling a simple drive-and-kick offense, but I don't think that's primarily what we run, it's a lot more off-ball screening oriented.

Reaction Score
Who is their 5'10" guy going to guard? Post him up non stop.
I have a feeling we’ll be looking to exploit that defender with our outside shots over and over again, just gives you a longer window to get a shot off

Reaction Score
We need to get our outside shooting straightened out.
We need to play anywhere else than Brooklyn. Depth seemed to be the issue shots. I think the boys feel more comfortable in Boston

Reaction Score
Stunt and recover.

This is a lot of words to describe what is essentially a basic man perimeter defense. Everyone stunts and recovers to different extents. I'm sure what our guys are focusing on is more about whether they force baseline (regular man) or middle (pack), how they switch inside, what post-up doubles they have in their bag, etc.

If we shoot well, stunt-and-recover is going to be devastated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom