San Diego St. Matchup | Page 4 | The Boneyard

San Diego St. Matchup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is no such thing as an awful championship game that you win. It’s binary — you win and it’s great or you lose and it’s awful. We get confused because we’ve never lost a championship game, but if you lose one you stop worrying about how you win.

If we beat them 15-12 Monday night, it will still put us ahead of Kansas and level with Duke and Indiana, tied for 4th, for most championships EVER.
Yes, I am aware and in agreement. I also like to watch basketball played in a way that showcases skill. SDSU has gotten here by taking that away as much as possible. That said, FAU went over 70 and lost. SDSU shot 50% from 3 or FAU wins comfortably.

Here is the wild stat. FAU had 6 assists. SDSU had 8. UConn had 5 last night on our first 5 made FGs on the way to 19 for the game.

Reaction Score
They play very tough defense and can’t shoot a lick. It might be even more awful than the Butler NC.
They just made 9 threes, but we are not playing tight and we are tourney broken in. We won with AJAX having a so so game of just 2 rebounds, 6 points and 4 assists only 22 minutes. . Hawk being sick went for on 3 boards and 13 points. Shows how it can be different players any given night picking up the slack. Karaban was huge with 9 boards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-04-02 074918.jpg

Reaction Score
This insight into their roster and play style is all well and good, but it's irrelevant. I just want to know how big their hands are.
Not big enough to hold our jock

Reaction Score
Excellent post. I remember when I was in St. Petersburg in 1999 for all 3 Final Four games. When I asked the Duke fans on Monday morning at a restaurant if they were excited for a good game in the championship, they arrogantly said, “Mich st gave the closest chance to beat them and that the championship vs UConn won’t be close”. I just remembered the arrogance that oozed out of them like Duke winning was a foregone conclusion.

I don’t want us mimicking that and then getting humbled. Let’s not be like those Duke fans. San Diego St is a very good team that deserves respect for what they have accomplished so far. Respect all, fear none.
I also remember a George Mason team that was supposed to be a walkover, especially given the greatest talent UConn put on one team.

I like our chances, and if UConn plays it’s game we should win on paper. But SDSU is tough, resilient, and mature. They will come out with a belief they can win. They won’t just give this NC to UConn.

I think the staff has this team focused and ready to play. The players don’t seem phased by who the competition is.

Reaction Score
I also remember a George Mason team that was supposed to be a walkover, especially given the greatest talent UConn put on one team.

I like our chances, and if UConn plays it’s game we should win on paper. But SDSU is tough, resilient, and mature. They will come out with a belief they can win. They won’t just give this NC to UConn.

I think the staff has this team focused and ready to play. The players don’t seem phased by who the competition is.
They do seem George Mason like in appearance and physical strength.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson and Alex Karaban can’t get in foul trouble. That’s the biggest key for us.

Reaction Score
They defend the 3 really well, low percentage and don't allow a lot of attempts. I still think we'll be able to get points that way, but the key is going to be making some shots when they force guys like Hawkins or Calcaterra to drive

Reaction Score
We killed them by reb%, which is the only rebounding stat that matters. We didn't miss enough shots to get more orebs.
This This This! They got 14 offensive rebounds on 42 missed field goals. That's 33%. We got 13 on 29 missed field goals. That's 45%. They got one more offensive rebound than us with an extra 13 chances. When you're shooting almost 50%, there's just not as many offensive rebound opportunities.

Reaction Score
Make the players watch the Creighton game at least twice. Creighton let SDSU off the hook on all of their hand checking and bumping by not forcing officials to make a call. We have to go right into the SDSU defender's arms every time they try to grab UConn. We should be in the bonus with 8-9 minutes left in both halves.

It always comes down to the refs with you, doesn’t it? I guess that’s because you don’t know anything about actual basketball.

Reaction Score
Assume SDSU is going to play their best game of the Tournament. We just have to bring ours. What Barkley said before yesterday's game was correct. We are good enough to win 4 out of 5 against these teams but a good Coach/Team can always pull out a one game win if you let up.

Our key as usual is good defense, playing sharp, unselfish and limiting turnovers. If the shot isn't falling don't step outside your game to force it. We have options and Hurley seems to have found a formula to plug them in at the right time.

Reaction Score

I’m guessing/hoping DH is reminding them every second there’s no relaxing right now, there’s no taking it for granted, and that they need to prepare like they’re taking no prisoners Monday night.
GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Against Miami I told all my friends as long as Jackson doesn’t get in foul trouble and we don’t let them get into the bonus early we’d be fine. BOTH of those things happened (and Hawkins was basically one of the zombies from Thriller) - Jackson sat for 15 mins in the first half and Miami was in the bonus for the last 8-9 mins. We went into the half up 13 and won wire to wire.

Jackson is the most indispensable player we have. He stays out of foul trouble - we’re in great shape. Guessing he will be tasked with guarding Bradley. If we make our 3’s and don’t get too 3 happy (since we can pound this team down low with Sanogo just like every other team, SDSU only has Mensah to defend him) we should be comfortable. SDSU’s biggest advantage is they’re all scrappy veterans, almost all seniors and a couple Juniors in their rotation. They won’t crumble easily but they aren’t built to dig out of a big hole if we can go up 15 on ‘em.

Shout out to Alleyne who played awesome defense in AJ’s Absence and has been our most valuable sub after Clingan.

Reaction Score
Keep Hawkins away from the calamari in the buffet line tonight and we should be good to go..

Reaction Score
How did that 2006 UConn team look in the games leading up to George Mason?

How many players on that UConn team could initiate offense?

This is going to be a rockfight. SDSU is good, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

We match up just fine with them.

Reaction Score
Dont like the matchup. SDSU is a very experienced, physical team that grinds it out and knows how to win close games. Plus, they must feel like they are a team of destiny right now with how they are winning close games including last second shots.

I also dont like the comments coming from UConn players. They are saying things like it doesnt matter who we play, if we stick to what we're doing, we'll be good. Umm, thats exactly not the way to win close games. You need to be very tactical in terms of what sets you are going to run with a minute left, and who is going to take the last shot - and that is all predicated on the specific matchups. Again, almost all of our 8 losses was due to NOT executing well in the last 90 seconds. Taking bad shots, etc. I hope it doesnt come to this, but I think it will.

I think it will be a close, rock fight, grind type of game, and frankly that is not Hurley's strength. He will have to exorcise his last demon - winning a tight game against a very good team - to earn immortality.

Reaction Score
Assume SDSU is going to play their best game of the Tournament. We just have to bring ours. What Barkley said before yesterday's game was correct. We are good enough to win 4 out of 5 against these teams but a good Coach/Team can always pull out a one game win if you let up.

Our key as usual is good defense, playing sharp, unselfish and limiting turnovers. If the shot isn't falling don't step outside your game to force it. We have options and Hurley seems to have found a formula to plug them in at the right time.
Maybe I just don’t know enough about the SDSU coach but in the interviews, etc. that I’ve seen with him I’m not impressed or convinced he can outcoach Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom