Samson Johnson - The Value of Waiting Your Turn. Will the Fab Five Follow the Model? What Say You? | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson - The Value of Waiting Your Turn. Will the Fab Five Follow the Model? What Say You?

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson is an example of what used to make college hoops so great. Seeing a player develop through all four years. He waited his turn. Problem is this doesn't happen anymore. It is the exception rather than the rule. That's why it is so refreshing and validates Hurley's "management" of player expectations. (Keeping Johnson may be one of his greatest recruiting moves.) Can we expect the Fab Five to follow suit? So tough in today's portal/NIL world. Ross, Stewart and Singare are't getting a lot of burn in these blow out games. Ball is getting major minutes and Castle is Castle - NBA bound. The body language on the three previosuly mentioned of the Fab Five wasn't great last night. May be nothing but something to watch. They can learn from Johnson and how he worked and patiently waited for his opportunity.

Reaction Score
Johnson's situation is very unique due to his injury and the presence of Karaban. In general, talented kids who don't play meaningful minutes go to the portal. Without speculating on specific players, we would be kidding ourselves if we think the program is immune to this. Despite Hurley creating a great culture, there simply are not enough minutes to go around in today's college landscape.

Reaction Score
The freshman have been a disappointment. They have no idea how to make their court time valuable -- and that includes Ball. Solo still rushes everything and that leads to terrible shooting. Steward comes in hunts the three and misses it. Ross is trying to absorb the game but looks lost. Hopefully we start to get something -anything- out of them by the new year.

Maybe when Castle comes back Solo will feel less pressure in a smaller role and just let the game flow.

Reaction Score
Hard to know you’re going to come in for a very short time but also know you need to impress. They will learn and grow from this, or they won’t. It will be interesting to see these kids mature.

Let’s be honest if they don’t the portal will be monstrous for the staff next year.

Reaction Score
We’re gonna need 4 or 5 quality transfers for next season since we’re losing our entire starting lineup to graduation or the draft and only have 2 freshmen coming in.
Top priority would probably be a PG

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We’re gonna need 4 or 5 quality transfers for next season since we’re losing our entire starting lineup to graduation or draft and only have 2 freshmen coming in.
That’s premature on Karaban (who I hope will choose to come back and be a superstar), but they’ll definitely need to hit the portal hard particularly since Hurley lost every big 2024 recruiting fight he picked outside of Nowell.

The freshmen this year are going to look like fish out of water when their teammates are the main pieces of a top 5 team

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Body language was fine.

Moving parts aren't easy to predict even after the season ends. It's more difficult to know this early in the season. Things are not linear and that includes player development and player game play. So regarding the OP I prefer not speculating.

What can be stated declaratively is that this Friday Dorothy will say "Toto, I've got a feeling we're in Kansas now and not in Connecticut anymore"!

Reaction Score
I’m sure Castle and Solo knew they had guaranteed minutes

For the rest, the pitch was probably that if you work hard, buy in, and perform, you will get minutes and you will succeed. I’m sure they are working hard and buying in, but the performance comes with time. They all have the chance to be key players next year

Without context, it’s not fair to them. They have super short leashes. But they’re coming into a team who has repeat championship aspirations. This year of experience in this program will pay off long term, regardless if they’re getting heavy minutes or not right now

Reaction Score
The freshman have been a disappointment. They have no idea how to make their court time valuable -- and that includes Ball. Solo still rushes everything and that leads to terrible shooting. Steward comes in hunts the three and misses it. Ross is trying to absorb the game but looks lost. Hopefully we start to get something -anything- out of them by the new year.

Maybe when Castle comes back Solo will feel less pressure in a smaller role and just let the game flow.
Your expectations for freshmen are way too high if they're a disappointment. They're right where they should be. On average, outside of the top 30 ranked freshmen are a net negative to teams, and that's okay. It's an investment in future ability.

Reaction Score
Everyone on this team had a sense of how much PT they can expect while they were recruited. I don't think any of our freshman are a disappointment so far. Hoped for a bit better shooting during Ross's minutes, but everyone else is pretty much on track.

That being said, in this day and age we should accept that 1, 2, maybe even more players will transfer. Unless they do us dirty like CFJ, I'll have no hard feelings about it.

Reaction Score
We’re gonna need 4 or 5 quality transfers for next season since we’re losing our entire starting lineup to graduation or the draft and only have 2 freshmen coming in.
I highly doubt Karaban will leave. So we're looking at Karaban, Samson, Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Singare, Nowell, Abraham. Not sure on The Greek.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Everyone on this team had a sense of how much PT they can expect while they were recruited. I don't think any of our freshman are a disappointment so far. Hoped for a bit better shooting during Ross's minutes, but everyone else is pretty much on track.

That being said, in this day and age we should accept that 1, 2, maybe even more players will transfer. Unless they do us dirty like CFJ, I'll have no hard feelings about it.
I would be OK with Apostolos taking more of Ross’s minutes. He looks a lot better so far this season.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I highly doubt Karaban will leave. So we're looking at Karaban, Samson, Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Singare, Nowell, Abraham. Not sure on The Greek.
So 4 or 5 from the portal. Hopefully he can mirror what Neptune did this offseason. He can’t coach but he still cleaned up in the portal

Reaction Score

Yes, it appears that four of the Fab Five are more fabuless than fabulous. There is no valid comparison with Johnson since none remotely combine size and athleticism the way he does. Ball is a stallion that can eventually be tamed, I think, and Singare, if ever given a chance, can be a critical piece next year, but the prospect that Ross and Stewart will soon step into meaningful roles seems to be a fanciful hope.

Reaction Score

So they look like normal freshmen who aren't 5 star recruits. They'll get there.
Patience Calm Down GIF by Brat TV

Reaction Score
Samuel Johnson, 8 rebounds and 10 points in 18 minutes. How long are his arms? His arm popped up out of nowhere a couple of times yesterday to come up with the ball over other players who were jumping. Big man rebounding is pretty pretty good for us.

Reaction Score
Give the kids time to develop they might not be at certain people’s expectations but it’s much too early to call any of them a disappointment before even playing 10 games …the one thing we know is that Hurley usually has a very good read on his team and what needs to be done. While everyone was panicking last offseason Hurley had a blueprint that brought us a championship…..let’s let things play out a bit

Reaction Score
Samuel Johnson, 8 rebounds and 10 points in 18 minutes. How long are his arms? His arm popped up out of nowhere a couple of times yesterday to come up with the ball over other players who were jumping. Big man rebounding is pretty pretty good for us.
I presume the stats are from Boswell's Life of Johnson.

Reaction Score
How and why are we spinning a great story about Samson Johnson into a negative for 4 other players?!

Its ridiculous to speculate on what will happen with these freshman NEXT year when we aren't even thru the first month of the season. Let's worry about how they will contribute in basketball games THIS FREAGIN' season which is a rather important one.
Ball - I like his takes to the basket, agree he rushes shots at times but its that way with any new player & I'm encourage by Hurley's confidence that Ball's 3pt % will improve.
Other freshman - we just haven't seen enough of anyone yet to see even 1-3 months into future on how they will develop. Again I trust that they are getting incredibly valuable reps in practice and improving in skills & strength.
The upcoming Kansas, Gonzaga, UNC games made the early schedule a bit more about developing the core rotation than typical. Unlike the FOUR past post NCAA championship seasons this year UConn is working towards a repeat. The challenging schedule reflects that leaving somewhat fewer game minutes to develop young players. We needn't worry as 90% of the Frosh's time & development occurs outside of those 40 minute games.

And I feel really good about the way TEAM success led to individual successes for everyone last year and that this IS the UCONN culture under Hurley. They were talking about that a lot on the broadcast of the Empire classic final. UConn is about unselfishness and the way these freshman get better is by working hard and making everyone around them better. Samson Johnson's current play is just one of many 'voices' showing and telling them this.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Count me among the folks who aren't disappointed in the freshmen. They will develop (or they won't), but the staff will work tirelessly with them.

Blown away by Johnson this season. Diarra has been a pleasant surprise. For the freshmen, Ball has been disappointing, but only because he seems so stuck on shooting the 3, but he's not a good 3 point shooter and that's been disappointing to see so many hoisted up... However, he totally looks like he belongs on the court, plays some really solid defense, and we all can see his potential.

Pretty great to see how Clingan has improved and will become more and more dominant as he continues his journey back from his injury. Karaban had an off night shooting vs. UNH (even the announcers noted his shot was way off), but he's terrific. Spencer has been amazing. Can't wait to see Castle come back. And Newton is indeed one of the best PG's in the nation. This is a FUN team to watch, and it's been funny to see announcers and analysts across the nation slowly come around and get on board - the UConn train is alive and well!

As someone mentioned above, hopefully when Castle comes back, Ball settles in better in a reserve role. I hope when that happens, though, he doesn't panic and feel like he needs to do a lot in fewer minutes.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Castle, and to a lesser exent, Ball, The Fab 5 moniker raised expectations to completely unreasonable levels for "casual fans" who haven't been closely watching the HS video and early-season video.

That being said, I'm seeing signs of slow progress for Ball and Stewart. Flashes here-and-there for Ross/Singare.

The really good news is that it seems like there may be more opportunities to play the freshmen for significantly more minutes than originally expected during our Big East conference games. The pre-season expectations for team quality for DePaul, G'Town, Xavier (b/c of injuries), and maybe even St. Johns now appear to be significantly overhyped.

There seems like there will be a clear division of team quality in the BE and we'll likely get some cupcake-type blowout games to continue to get valuable minutes for our bench players throughout Dec-Jan-Feb.

Reaction Score
Fab 5 is used very loosely these days. Now Duke next year....they'll have a Fab 5. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom