Samson Johnson looks to make major leap in new role for UConn men next season (Arruda @ Courant) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson looks to make major leap in new role for UConn men next season (Arruda @ Courant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Which games in which he played (all five regular season, not the cameos in the NCAA) did he fail your eye test for success?

I’m rooting for the kid and we should believe there is hope. But he’s right at no point has he looked like he was a natural on the court. Granted small samples but it’s reality. Long way to go for him one can only hope for a big jump.

Reaction Score
Wow. I don't really see him as a center, but I know he will spend some time there. Surely he would be better as a second big man on the floor, but ya gotta play where you are needed and where there are minutes. No matter what, I do think we will see Johnson find his groove this year, and he will be a big part of this team this season. Coaching staff is strong on developing players, and Johnson needs on the floor game experience to get better.

Reaction Score
Which games in which he played (all five regular season, not the cameos in the NCAA) did he fail your eye test for success?
So his freshman year doesn't count?

Reaction Score
Our guys do seem to get better so there's that. Plus Johnson had a pretty major injury last year and he was never really 100% recovered. We'll see whether he's better this season.
Yeah I don't want to crush the kid. Him staying means he thinks, and coaches as well, that he can be impactful player. I watched him, and didn't like anything he did. Stiff, uncoordinated, nervous, slow, just tall at best. Im surprised and disappointed he didn't leave. I want back to back championships. This guy will get killed by Kansas and duke, let's be real. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I watched him play last year. He should not be playing meaningful minutes. Karaban has to have better backup. We go small or whatever. I don't want him playing meaningful minutes in Kansas, no thanks.
Did you go to the open scrimmage practice? He showed out quite nicely.

Everything good that happened in that practice translated to the regular season for all the players I watched. Everything…

Except for Samson, who had the foot injury after limited minutes in the first game of the season. His spot minutes the rest of the season were not great, but understandable given the injury.

People down on him are borderline clueless/full-on clueless. It’s that simple.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I watched him play last year. He should not be playing meaningful minutes. Karaban has to have better backup. We go small or whatever. I don't want him playing meaningful minutes in Kansas, no thanks.
Way to give the guy a chance after a major injury.

Reaction Score
Did you go to the open scrimmage practice? He showed out quite nicely.

Everything good that happened in that practice translated to the regular season for all the players I watched. Everything…

Except for Samson, who had the foot injury after limited minutes in the first game of the season. His spot minutes the rest of the season were not great, but understandable given the injury.

People down on him are borderline clueless/full-on clueless. It’s that simple.
The flaw in this is that in the first game of the season, when he wasn't injured, he still had the same issues from freshman year. Hopefully he will improve, because that would be a huge benefit to the team, and the fact he's still on the roster says alot about the staff's belief that he can.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't want to crush the kid. Him staying means he thinks, and coaches as well, that he can be impactful player. I watched him, and didn't like anything he did. Stiff, uncoordinated, nervous, slow, just tall at best. Im surprised and disappointed he didn't leave. I want back to back championships. This guy will get killed by Kansas and duke, let's be real. Hope I'm wrong.
Possibly the worst take of the year. He might be the most athletically gifted player on the roster. You wanted out highly rated 4 star 6'10" athletic shot blocker who can handle the ball, attack off the bounce and shoot 3s to leave?

By far the most important thing Hurley did for this season was convince him to stay. Reports are he spent a LOT of effort on that.

Reaction Score
Possibly the worst take of the year. He might be the most athletically gifted player on the roster. You wanted out highly rated 4 star 6'10" athletic shot blocker who can handle the ball, attack off the bounce and shoot 3s to leave?

By far the most important thing Hurley did for this season was convince him to stay. Reports are he spent a LOT of effort on that.
Your takes on Samson Johnson make your takes on other subjects look almost rational.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I saw good progress in a small sample.
He committed 4 fouls in 16 minutes against some team that finished in the 330's in Kempom. He's never playing real minutes if he continues to do that.

Reaction Score
He committed 4 fouls in 16 minutes against some team that finished in the 330's in Kempom. He's never playing real minutes if he continues to do that.
It was the first game of the season....ya think it's possible he was trying to do a bit too much...especially on D..since that is a key for Hurley. He's had a full Fr season and 1/2 Soph season....practicing against the National Champs...You don't think it's possible he's progressed and is ready for a breakout JR year?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The flaw in this is that in the first game of the season, when he wasn't injured, he still had the same issues from freshman year. Hopefully he will improve, because that would be a huge benefit to the team, and the fact he's still on the roster says alot about the staff's belief that he can.
Hawkins was 0-4 from the field first game of the season too. Some guys have jitters and just have to play through them before getting comfortable.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This has to be a troll.

Nobody can be this much of an @zzhole and not know it.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
If that was true he would’ve transferred on his own or been guided by the staff to find a fresh start somewhere else. Him being on the roster says that Hurley believes in him. With so much talent in the portal I think we would’ve gotten a quality transfer at the 4 if we needed to. I know there are always going to be busts but I really don’t think that Samson was so highly rated for no reason.
Hurley believes but we just don’t know if it’ll work out. This the nature of the sport.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I admit, I keep forgetting he earned a starting role last year before he got hurt.

I feel like any time someone posts this it needs the asterisk of Karaban nursing an injury in preseason and Johnson being the starter by default.

I have yet to read anything from the UConn coaches suggesting a healthy Johnson was ever ahead of a healthy Karaban.

Reaction Score
I attended the Blue & White scrimmage. I loved what I saw from Samson. He appeared aggressive, comfortable, confident and incredibly athletic. Yes, it was a scrimmage. I get it. But it offered a glimpse of his potential. I also watched a freshman year where he seemed lost on switches and disappeared/was a step late on help defense. Will his apparent lack of defensive understanding/positioning catch up to his offensive potential? I don’t know. But I trust Hurley. A healthy full season will answer most questions about Samson. Let’s be patient and let it play out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel like any time someone posts this it needs the asterisk of Karaban nursing an injury in preseason and Johnson being the starter by default.

I have yet to read anything from the UConn coaches suggesting a healthy Johnson was ever ahead of a healthy Karaban.
Well Hurley said he and Hawkins were the best players in the scrimmage. I don't think there is any conclusion we can reach other than that it was probably pretty close between them. I've not seen anything saying Karaban had won the starting job either.

This is a good problem to have. Not sure why some here (not you) keep rooting for people to fail.

Reaction Score

What?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well Hurley said he and Hawkins were the best players in the scrimmage. I don't think there is any conclusion we can reach other than that it was probably pretty close between them. I've not seen anything saying Karaban had won the starting job either.

This is a good problem to have. Not sure why some here (not you) keep rooting for people to fail.

I definitely want Samson to succeed and a front court with Clingan, Karaban and Johnson is a great way to start a front line. I do think Samson can back up both 4 and 5. There's definitely at least 20 mpg to be had beyond Clingan and Karaban.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I attended the Blue & White scrimmage. I loved what I saw from Samson. He appeared aggressive, comfortable, confident and incredibly athletic. Yes, it was a scrimmage. I get it. But it offered a glimpse of his potential. I also watched a freshman year where he seemed lost on switches and disappeared/was a step late on help defense.
Why doesn't the sophomore scrimmage trump what you saw from him as a freshman?

Reaction Score

That's just not true, Hurley was pretty clear about minutes at the 4 spot when he previewed the roster here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom