Same Old Syracuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Same Old Syracuse

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
when was the last time their program was really good (like top 10) throughout an entire season?

Probably when UConn was last in the same position
Neither program has enjoyed the level of full season success as when the OBE was running on full cylinders BUT UConn has won NCs whereas Cuse has only made occasional noise

As far as UConn football is concerned - if the OBE never broke up, UConn football would have remained strong with or without RE - the football league was very strong and recruitment was much better/easier.
Your ascertain is baseless in regards to football
The program was riding a high after the Fiesta Bowl and if RE had stayed I don't think there would have been a drastic turn at all and if there was a need to replace RE, the pool of replacements would have been much more attractive than PP or RedPants

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
when was the last time their program was really good (like top 10) throughout an entire season?

Probably when UConn was last in the same position
Neither program has enjoyed the level of full season success as when the OBE was running on full cylinders BUT UConn has won NCs whereas Cuse has only made occasional noise

As far as UConn football is concerned - if the OBE never broke up, UConn football would have remained strong with or without RE - the football league was very strong and recruitment was much better/easier.
Your ascertain is baseless in regards to football
The program was riding a high after the Fiesta Bowl and if RE had stayed I don't think there would have been a drastic turn at all and if there was a need to replace RE, the pool of replacements would have been much more attractive than PP or RedPants

It's a big "what if" and totally impossible to prove either way, but from what we have all seen with RE2.0,he is playing the same style of out-of-date run first football he was a decade ago and is unwilling to change.

Maybe if he stayed and the OBE didn't break up we wouldn't have hit the lows we are at right now, but as long as Edsall is leading the charge with his out of date style I don't think we would be able to keep up with those willing to embrace the offensive minded change. There's a reason other than conference affiliation and retched stench of losing that he can't attract the same level of talent other schools in the group of 5 get. No kid wants to play in a run-run-pass-punt offense anymore. I digress on this topic.

The main point I was making with the UConn football comparison is that unless a new coach who is willing to embrace the modern day style of college basketball replaces Beoheim (and until a new football coach willing to do the same coach shows up at UConn) neither program will be at the level its enjoyed in their glory years.

As Bob Dylan once said "For he that gets hurt, Will be he who has stalled... For the times they are a-changin"

Edit: Also you're right that it's probably been a decade since both UConn and Syracuse basketball have been really good (like top 10) all season long, but we have finally embraced the change on the basketball side by getting Hurley, so I am hopeful that we will start trending in the right direction

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a big "what if" and totally impossible to prove either way, but from what we have all seen with RE2.0,he is playing the same style of out-of-date run first football he was a decade ago and is unwilling to change.

Maybe if he stayed and the OBE didn't break up we wouldn't have hit the lows we are at right now, but as long as Edsall is leading the charge with his out of date style I don't think we would be able to keep up with those willing to embrace the offensive minded change. There's a reason other than conference affiliation and retched stench of losing that he can't attract the same level of talent other schools in the group of 5 get. No kid wants to play in a run-run-pass-punt offense anymore. I digress on this topic.

The main point I was making with the UConn football comparison is that unless a new coach who is willing to embrace the modern day style of college basketball replaces Beoheim (and until a new football coach willing to do the same coach shows up at UConn) neither program will be at the level its enjoyed in their glory years.

As Bob Dylan once said "For he that gets hurt, Will be he who has stalled... For the times they are a-changin"
Hard to say. I definitely think we would not have cratered so deeply. Many BY posters (including yours truly) were ready for a change thinking that Randy couldn't get us to the next level. Well we got to a new level alright. Unfortunately that level was a deserted sub basement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They scored 2 points in the first 11 minutes of the game.

I remember UConn holding Georgetown to a similar total in DC (I was at the game). We lost.

Reaction Score
"You never want to play the elite games early. That's stupid, it's just a money grab," Boeheim said.

That ought to get the elite players crawling over each other to sign with the orange.

Who wants to play elite games on national TV against top tier opponents at great neutral site events when you can play against Albany in Syracuse.

Meanwhile, teams like Duke, Kansas, Mich St, Kentucky, etc. volunteer to play each other in the first week every season...

Reaction Score
Hard to say. I definitely think we would not have cratered so deeply. Many BY posters (including yours truly) were ready for a change thinking that Randy couldn't get us to the next level. Well we got to a new level alright. Unfortunately that level was a deserted sub basement.

RE couldn't get us to the next level. The problem wasn't RE leaving. The problem was Hathaway, who instead of capitalizing on excitement and bringing in a young, innovative, rising star who could have done so, tried to consolidate our meager gains with a boring retread.

Reaction Score
RE couldn't get us to the next level. The problem wasn't RE leaving. The problem was Hathaway, who instead of capitalizing on excitement and bringing in a young, innovative, rising star who could have done so, tried to consolidate our meager gains with a boring retread.
This. The second he hired Pasqualoni was the second UConn football became irrelevant. That was obvious to anyone with a brain.

Reaction Score
Sara will rebound, but Jimmy Bunz's refusal to know when to say when is going to hurt that program for years. The job for the next guy will be impossible as is usually the way when you replace a legend. It will be even worse if Jimmy holds on for another two or three years.

Reaction Score
They won't do it because they're making money with the ACC but they should just go independent in football and bring hoops back to the Big East and MSG.
Dino Babers and his team absolutely suck this year. Their football fans had such high hopes. They'll never compete for a championship (Nor will any team in these parts outside of Penn State).

Reaction Score
with significant influence from Larry McHugh

Reaction Score
Buddy is a soph, so you've already got Jimmy locked in for two more years.
That's been my thought all along...that Boeheim plans to go out when his son graduates. If so...does Syracuse name a coach-in-waiting, as they did before, prior to his retirement? Kind of back-fired when JB decided he wanted to hang on...lol However, if their slide into mediocrity continues, they may feel they have no choice.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's been my thought all along...that Boeheim plans to go out when his son graduates. If so...does Syracuse name a coach-in-waiting, as they did before, prior to his retirement? Kind of back-fired when JB decided he wanted to hang on...lol However, if their slide into mediocrity continues, they may feel they have no choice.

I and many others hee have our fingers majorly crossed for G Mac.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom