Salary Cap For College Basketball | The Boneyard

Salary Cap For College Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
College sports doesn't have it because there are no salaries right? Well pro sports doesn't allow teams to buy and stockpile the best talent without a penalty and that is exactly what has been and continues to go in college hoops. Money is involved but the players don't get any. Look at the ESPN 5 star talent board. Kentucky and Duke have 8 of those players this year and that is pretty much year in and year out. Kansas usually with NC also. My question is this, should there be a way to penalize teams for getting one or two and done? Is there some way to try and level the playing field from these teams that just reload from the top every year? I realize that we have 4 players in the top 100 ourselves but they are much further down the list starting with Gilbert at 30. We have succeeded in the past despite this but it's getting tougher and tougher.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Josh Jackson: I'm so excited to go to my dream school Kansas! Bill self is my favorite coach, and my parents went there as well.

NCAA: yeah about that... You can't go to Kansas, they have too many 5 stars already.

This would be great if it was a pro league. But you're telling kids they can't go to the college of their choosing, after being offered a free ride. That will never happen.

Reaction Score
Josh Jackson: I'm so excited to go to my dream school Kansas! Bill self is my favorite coach, and my parents went there as well.

NCAA: yeah about that... You can't go to Kansas, they have too many 5 stars already.

This would be great if it was a pro league. But you're telling kids they can't go to the college of their choosing, after being offered a free ride. That will never happen.

But if they already have 13 players on scholarship for next year they let you have a 14th if it's your dream school? Kids can go anywhere they want. If they want to play D1 sports, the NCAA can make rules about it.

Reaction Score
I kept waiting for the part where you said you were joking but it never came.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Make every scholarship for four years.

I really really like that idea.

It would make you way more selective over the possible one and dones and two and dones and really spread them around the country as any school who gambled too much on them would be out of luck for a couple years, like not put a team on the court out of luck.

Youre a genius tom.

Reaction Score
I really really like that idea.

It would make you way more selective over the possible one and dones and two and dones and really spread them around the country as any school who gambled too much on them would be out of luck for a couple years, like not put a team on the court out of luck.

Youre a genius tom.
So now there are less players getting college scholarships for bball because schools just have to leave a bunch of them open until the 4 year term expires?

August_West

Reaction Score
So now there are less players getting college scholarships for bball because schools just have to leave a bunch of them open until the 4 year term expires?

sure.
enhances quality of game. enhances educational aspects. whats not to like?

August_West

Reaction Score

Because Mr. Josh Jackson will guaranteed be leaving his "dream school" after one season. So how much of dream school is it really and for what reason?

Reaction Score
sure.
enhances quality of game. enhances educational aspects. whats not to like?
Besides a bunch of kids not getting scholarships when they previously would have? I don't think it enhances the quality of the game at all, I think it makes it worse.

Reaction Score
The only thing better than taking advantage of student athletes for the one year they're in college, is to guarantee your ability to do that for 3 or 4 years

Reaction Score
Because Mr. Josh Jackson will guaranteed be leaving his "dream school" after one season. So how much of dream school is it really and for what reason?

I don't get doubting the authenticity of his love for Kansas just because he has the opportunity to make millions of dollars after one year. Was UConn not Drummond's dream school?

August_West

Reaction Score
Besides a bunch of kids not getting scholarships when they previously would have? I don't think it enhances the quality of the game at all, I think it makes it worse.

Really, teams that have time to gel with core players dont make for a better game?

Having the 10 supreme talents that go to kentucky and Duke every year spread over 10 teams doesnt make for better quality basketball and better parity?

Reaction Score
Exactly this, by doing this you're just going to reduce the number of players getting scholarships. And if scholarships are 4 years to stop people from leaving after a year, those top 10 players are not going to college

August_West

Reaction Score
I don't get doubting the authenticity of his love for Kansas just because he has the opportunity to make millions of dollars after one year. Was UConn not Drummond's dream school?

Im sure he loves Kansas...... as a stepping stone to the NBA. And its fine. But lets not act like it is for any educational dream. Does the NCAA use kids? absolutely. Do kids use the NCAA, absolutely.

August_West

Reaction Score
Exactly this, by doing this you're just going to reduce the number of players getting scholarships. And if scholarships are 4 years to stop people from leaving after a year, those top 10 players are not going to college

Nothing stops players for leaving after a year. Its the teams that will have to think about the calculated risk of taking them.

Also, there are 350 something D1 programs. Plenty of scholarships all over the place. They wont be reduced as much as you think just longer to roll over at first. 13 scholarships is 13 scholarships. what are the percentage of one and done and 2 and done players of the whole of D1 hoops?

Reaction Score
Really, teams that have time to gel with core players dont make for a better game?

Having the 10 supreme talents that go to kentucky and Duke every year spread over 10 teams doesnt make for better quality basketball and better parity?
How would teams have more time to gel with core players? Every team except, Duke, UK, KU, UNC would be exactly the same, except every once in a while they would add a player who will be gone in a year to their roster, when they wouldn't have previously. The core of their team wouldn't be affected at all. Are you saying that having their scholarship tied up for 4 years will provide incentive to players to stick around longer because they will feel bad about putting their school in a bad spot?

The teams that are most severely punished under this new system are those that don't recruit at the super elite level, but still have guys leave early. Is college basketball really better if we can't replace Hamilton for 2 more years, or if Providence can't replace Ben Bentil?

August_West

Reaction Score
How would teams have more time to gel with core players? Every team except, Duke, UK, KU, UNC would be exactly the same, except every once in a while they would add a player who will be gone in a year to their roster, when they wouldn't have previously. The core of their team wouldn't be affected at all. Are you saying that having their scholarship tied up for 4 years will provide incentive to players to stick around longer because they will feel bad about putting their school in a bad spot?

The teams that are most severely punished under this new system are those that don't recruit at the super elite level, but still have guys leave early. Is college basketball really better if we can't replace Hamilton for 2 more years, or if Providence can't replace Ben Bentil?

It adds a wrinkle to recruiting evaluation. And we can replace Hamilton. In 2 more years. Same with providence.

Reaction Score
You know what, there shouldn't even be a limit on scholarships. By limiting how many a team can give out, you limit the total given out and that's just not right. Also, what if a team has already given out their allotment and another kid, whose dad went there, has that team as their dream school? Hell, if 30 kids want to go to Kentucky and Kentucky is willing to put them on scholarship, why not? What could possibly go wrong?

On this 4 year scholarship insanity, does anyone actually have a number for how many less scholarships would be available this year if such a rule were in effect? What if a scholarship were for a minimum of three years?

And what if the max number of scholarships were increased by one but each offer lasted for three or four years. Would the total players on scholarship still go down? I bet teams loaded with 2 or 3 star players would love to add an extra player to increase their chances of finding a diamond in the rough.

Or, maybe, any unused scholarships being tied up by a player that left to play professionally should be given to a non-athlete. It could be a merit/need based academic scholarship funded by the athletic department as a gesture of good will.

Reaction Score
Seriously though, something like Tom's idea is needed. I could argue for a scholarship being released after 3 years as a player could, theoretically, complete their degree in a reasonable amount of time through summer classes or by going back to school when their playing days are done.

I also think the NBA one year rule needs to be done away with. Let the kids jump straight from high school. And beef up the D league to make it a solid minor league like we have in baseball. Then, kids that choose college are doing so because they really value college. Otherwise, they could just get drafted into the D league. This might require extending the draft to three rounds. Also, maybe the NCAA should make the academic qualifications a bit more demanding. There once was a time when the kids who weren't ready for college had to red shirt a year or go to juco.

If people are honest about this, big money college football and basketball have made a mockery of "college" athletics and the concept of a "student" athlete. It might be nice to fill scholarships with more kids that actually, you know, give a crap about school.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I think the 4 year scholly rule could be a good idea, but it would have be in conjunction with new NBA rules. Let kids come right out of high school, or make them required to play for 2 years. If would be one-and-doners had he option to not go to college and declare right away, a 3- or 4-year rule like this would be interesting, at least.

Reaction Score
It adds a wrinkle to recruiting evaluation. And we can replace Hamilton. In 2 more years. Same with providence.
Yeah, I get that, I just have no idea how it improves the quality of the college basketball product.

I don't think reducing the pool of college basketball players by 10% (just guessing, don't know the actual percentage of players that don't use their 4 years of eligibility) would result in better college basketball.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The only thing better than taking advantage of student athletes for the one year they're in college, is to guarantee your ability to do that for 3 or 4 years

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman