Saint Mary's Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saint Mary's Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Focus needs to be on rebounding. In their win vs the Zags, they out rebounded them. Houston, even in their win, got out rebounded. Same in their win against VCU.

Even with the lack of athletes as compared to some of their competition, it looks like almost everyone on the team has a nose for the ball. Its going to come down to our ability to team rebound. If we want to push the pace, we need to ensure we have the rebound instead of leaking early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just like Iona, Saint Mary's is made for Connecticut. They don't have the speed or the height to match up with UConn. Saxon is a traditional quality mid-major big man. He's way to show to guard Sanogo, and won't be about to get a shot off against Clingan.
In January, when you lost 4 of 5, I said you had the talent to make a Final Four run with the right matchups. The first two games have you halfway there.
I don't think it will be an early blowout, but more of a memorial pulling away, similar to Friday.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your service.
Thank you. Which assistant coach should I email next, @husky429?
I don't like "4th best at forcing ISO attempts," since we don't really have a guy who can create scoring opportunities 1 on 1.
Alabama is 15th in the nation at forcing ISO attempts and has the 3rd best defense in the nation. We scored 82 points against them.

UConn has multiple distributors, basically all players except for our bigs. For me, a team that is 4th best at forcing ISO attempts feasts on teams with few distributors and a bunch of shooters and/or post guys. We aren't that type of team.
Sanogo is shifty enough to draw fouls on them. They will hack you.
Great point. If Saxen is in foul trouble, they are toast. That's why I love the matchup of our two excellent bigs vs their one very good big.

Reaction Score
Thank you. Which assistant coach should I email next, @husky429?

Alabama is 15th in the nation at forcing ISO attempts and has the 3rd best defense in the nation. We scored 82 points against them.

UConn has multiple distributors, basically all players except for our bigs. For me, a team that is 4th best at forcing ISO attempts feasts on teams with few distributors and a bunch of shooters and/or post guys. We aren't that type of team.

Great point. If Saxen is in foul trouble, they are toast. That's why I love the matchup of our two excellent bigs vs their one very good big.
Indeed. The assists come from a mindset. Someone still has to beat the defense, either 1 on 1 or off of screens. But instead of getting a good shot, look for someone open for a GREAT shot instead. Defense plays a factor, but it isn't the only one

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Focus needs to be on rebounding. In their win vs the Zags, they out rebounded them. Houston, even in their win, got out rebounded. Same in their win against VCU.

Even with the lack of athletes as compared to some of their competition, it looks like almost everyone on the team has a nose for the ball. Its going to come down to our ability to team rebound. If we want to push the pace, we need to ensure we have the rebound instead of leaking early.
Bingo. We win the loose balls - we fly to the ball and want the ball - we win big. We lose the loose balls, the momentum swings the wrong way, it’s an uncomfortable last 4 minutes.

Reaction Score
nice scouting report, Hey Adrien. I have watched a few St. Mary’s games this year. SMarys is very deliberate with their pace and they love to test the limits of opposing defenses attention and discipline by not only milking most of the shot clock but using a lot PnR action and constant screening in hopes the defense breaks down. One way that Gonzaga countered that in the WCC final was to throw a soft press, not hell bent on creating TOs, but simply to delay them from getting into their half court offense leaving them less than 20 seconds to run their offense.

mahaney is Tyler Kolek lite, but very much a diet version of him. UConn will have to be careful with hard hedge because Mahaney has good court vision. And ur data backs up what I observed too, and that is his defense is weak. If SMarys decides to put him on AJax, that should provide UConn with offensive rebounding opportunities. UConn doesn’t need to fear St Mary’s running a fast break on them if UConn goes after offensive rebounds.

Having Hawk guard Bowen might be good because Bowen just pretty much hides in the corner. I would put AJax on Logan Johnson.

Reaction Score
I keep track of our possessions and we average about 35 possessions per half. This may not be exact but if we get 32 possessions it should it is being played to our tempo. Tempo and rebounding will be ultra important. Hopefully we can wear them out

Reaction Score
Do we break out the 1-3-1 for this one?
No. The 1-3-1 is a zone defense that is weak in defensive rebounding and allows the opponent a greater chance to get offensive rebounds. St. Mary's will park Mitchell Saxon near the basket if UConn plays the 1-3-1 and he will feast on getting offensive rebounds while Sanogo will be out of position due to his zone assignment. Saxon really does not score beyond 6 feet from the basket (even that distance might be generous). He gets his baskets by overpowering and muscling his defender and he is very good at it. If he tries to do that against Sanogo when Sanogo has good defensive position, Saxon will fail most of the times if not all the time, he ain't overpowering Sanogo. Sanogo and Eric Dixon are immovable, if they get to their spot(s), no other player is going to move them off the spot.

Rebounding will be even more important in this game than usual. UConn can't run if they don't have the ball first from rebounding.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No. The 1-3-1 is a zone defense that is weak in defensive rebounding and allows the opponent a greater chance to get offensive rebounds. St. Mary's will park Mitchell Saxon near the basket if UConn plays the 1-3-1 and he will feast on getting offensive rebounds while Sanogo will be out of position due to his zone assignment. Saxon really does not score beyond 6 feet from the basket (even that distance might be generous). He gets his baskets by overpowering and muscling his defender and he is very good at it. If he tries to do that against Sanogo when Sanogo has good defensive position, Saxon will fail most of the times if not all the time, he ain't overpowering Sanogo. Sanogo and Eric Dixon are immovable, if they get to their spot(s), no other player is going to move them off the spot.

Rebounding will be even more important in this game than usual. UConn can't run if they don't have the ball first from rebounding.
Respect

Reaction Score
Do we break out the 1-3-1 for this one?

We could. I think pressing with our athletes might be more effective though. Risky to zone an offensive rebounding team.

We need to speed them up. Press would be one strategy to do it. Would like to see aggressive hedging too. They don't have a great roll man.

Reaction Score
Our press will be effective against this team. If we make them chew up 25-30% of the shot clock getting the ball over half court, their slothy offense gets sped up considerably out of necessity. If I'm Hurley, I smack them with the press at an opportune time and try to blow the game open.

Impressive write up, per usual, @Hey Adrien!

Reaction Score
Our press will be effective against this team. If we make them chew up 25-30% of the shot clock getting the ball over half court, their slothy offense gets sped up considerably out of necessity. If I'm Hurley, I smack them with the press at an opportune time and try to blow the game open.

More possessions = more potential fouls. They have a lighter bench.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Not a press hell bent on getting turnovers but one that prevents them from getting into their offense immediately.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doomed-2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member