Saint John's Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Saint John's Post Game Thread

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He didn't say he was better, he just said we haven't had a player quite like him and it's not completely off the mark with how clean and efficient he plays. Now some of that is obviously due to the offensive talent around him, Kemba and Shabazz had to do more and carry a bigger load so that's gonna lead to lower shooting numbers and more TOs, but Cam is definitely one of more well rounded guards we've seen here offensively.
Hey, I like Cam a lot. It’s not a shot at him at alI. Sorry if it comes off that way. I think he’s an amazing offensive player. Possibly the best of the Hurley era when looking at all around skill sets.

Just think it’s bizarre to see him in best ever talks seeing the legends that have been here. But now probably isn’t the time to say anything so sorry about that.

Reaction Score
That game sucked. Probably our 2nd or 3rd worst effort of the year. Got lulled into a track meet and decided that playing defense was optional. I’m guessing that DH will take full advantage and go nuts over this “effort”.
Disagree. We played pretty well despite the foul trouble. St. John's is very good right now and they made tough shots when we threw several haymakers at them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I know I'm a homer but it seems like Clingan can do nothing right with the refs. Sometimes he just makes mistakes but other times it's like they call fouls on him that others don't get. I think the bad calls have made him somewhat snake bitten where he becomes hesitant. He often doesn't look confident and that is understandable but unfortunate. He's got a lot of heart and talent. I think he needs another year unless his potential just makes him a lottery pick. We shall see.

I do think this was not the most polished game we've played but to me it was a very big win over nemesis Pitino in MSG. Very proud of the way they kept the lead over the last 12 minutes. It's that unselfish thing again and Tristan and Cam are a great tandem at guard. I'm really happy they showed up big on offense down the stretch under the MSG lights. Think this will help us going forward.

I don't remember who the poster was but whoever said "look, we're playing three point guards, a point forward and a big who is a very good passer" nailed it. Hats off to the team and staff.
People here try too hard to come off unbiased, but there’s a reason why Clingan gets through some games with no foul trouble, and sometimes doesn’t, and it’s usually not because he changed how physical he played. He’s reffed differently game to game, it’s gotta be frustrating for him.

Fwiw Edey practically decapitates opponents every time I watch Purdue and refs seem to ignore it. He would never get some of these soft whistles Clingan gets.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Well it wasn't a foul on AK, Jenkins jumped damn near sideways, wasn't a natural shooting motion at all
In the huddle after Hurley basically confirmed it wasn’t a foul when Alex was explaining.

Reaction Score
Hey, I like Cam a lot. It’s not a shot at him at alI. Sorry if it comes off that way. I think he’s an amazing offensive player. Possibly the best of the Hurley era when looking at all around skill sets.

Just think it’s bizarre to see him in best ever talks seeing the legends that have been here. But now probably isn’t the time to say anything so sorry about that.
Stop being obtuse. CS is shooting 50/44/90 with a 3-1 assist to turnover rate. He’s been one of the most efficient UConn players ever and his having a crazy year. Why can’t you just stfu and enjoy his season

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The score was 95-89. I wouldn't call it a grind it out type game.
I wouldn't call it a 95-90.
Who's more right?

I'm joking.
Pitino has come in with 4 game plans against Hurley in the past 12 months. They've all fallen short.

Doesn't matter whether it's been defense-minded or offense-minded Johnnies, UConn has scored 43, 41, and 43 in the second half.

In 6 consecutive victories, St. John's has averaged 89 points. They put up 90.

In the same stretch St. John's held opponents to 70 points. UConn scored 25 points above that average.

Both teams did things that they've been doing well, and both thought they break the other team's back. Both teams weren't used to that not happening, so the victory had to ground out. Not the typical definition, but it wasn't really a track meet. That's all I got.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
People here try too hard to come off unbiased, but there’s a reason why Clingan gets through some games with no foul trouble, and sometimes doesn’t, and it’s usually not because he changed how physical he played. He’s reffed differently game to game, it’s gotta be frustrating for him.

Fwiw Edey practically decapitates opponents every time I watch Purdue and refs seem to ignore it. He would never get some of these soft whistles Clingan gets.
I've been convinced for a long time that the B1G issued a directive to protect Edey from foul calls. I cam live with that as I see it as a contributing factor in Purdue's tournament performances.

What Clingan needs to do is calm down just a little. He's long and gangly (obviously) and at times his arms move too much. A lot of times things may look to the official like he's fouling when no actual contact has been made. This could be the one area where, while our coaching staff is fantastic, he isn't getting the benefit of a coach who was a true big man that had to learn himself how to use his hands/arms witjlh more subtle movement.

I do however also believe there is at least a subconscious (possibly fully conscious) among the refs that erring in UConn's opponent's favor is the safer way to call the game as we'll probably win anyway.

Reaction Score

Again...reading comprehension.
Yep and he always makes the right read/extra pass. We've really never had an offensive player like him. Tristen is alongside our handful or so very best players ever if they accomplish their two remaining goals.
He says...

Cam = never had an offensive player like him (implying "unique" not "best")
Tristen = alongside our handful or so very best players

Nowhere does he say cam is one of our best ever...but frankly it still wouldn't be nearly as absurd as you make it sound if he did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know about Cam best player anything, but he has some serious game faces when he gets in a groove.

GIv979fWwAAyXFp.jpg

Reaction Score

Drunk message boarding is the third worst thing you can do when you drink.

Reaction Score
He may not be the best player. But I think Cam is the best one year impact player this program has ever had. Maybe Nadav. Call it a tie.
I love what Cam has brought to the team, but Nadav was a much headier player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom