Saint John's Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Saint John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
When the refs are too tight early, I don't get to watch Clingan play. That's bad for the game and for UConn. It's more fun when we don't have to hear a whistle on every possession.

UConn's D was off but I think they had to play soft because of the early foul calls.
Clingan earned his pine minutes.

Reaction Score
That wasn’t fun at all. We slept walk through that game and it almost cost us. Do that in two weeks and we are licking our wounds after a loss in the Sweet 16
Jesus you are a dramatic one. There wasn't a lack of effort St John's just hit there shots. St John's played as well as they could possibly play and the game was never in doubt.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Empire State Building was white when we came out of MSG, but then changed to this

IMG_1808.jpeg

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Only thing better than good defense is better offense. Johnies gave us everything they had, so credit to them. But some of those calls on Clingan were egregious.
I know I'm a homer but it seems like Clingan can do nothing right with the refs. Sometimes he just makes mistakes but other times it's like they call fouls on him that others don't get. I think the bad calls have made him somewhat snake bitten where he becomes hesitant. He often doesn't look confident and that is understandable but unfortunate. He's got a lot of heart and talent. I think he needs another year unless his potential just makes him a lottery pick. We shall see.

I do think this was not the most polished game we've played but to me it was a very big win over nemesis Pitino in MSG. Very proud of the way they kept the lead over the last 12 minutes. It's that unselfish thing again and Tristan and Cam are a great tandem at guard. I'm really happy they showed up big on offense down the stretch under the MSG lights. Think this will help us going forward.

I don't remember who the poster was but whoever said "look, we're playing three point guards, a point forward and a big who is a very good passer" nailed it. Hats off to the team and staff.

Reaction Score
What an insane game. Go UCONN! ELITE ELITE ELITE ELITE! This team is absolutely nasty. How many heads those this monster have again?

Props to St. John's for a high level matchup. They deserve a bid for sure. They threw everything at Connecticut. Even without our best game we prevailed.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This might sound a bit crazy but of late does the momentum tend to turn a bit when Johnson comes into the game. By no means am I saying we are better with Clingan on the bench, if you remember last year we tended to go on a run when Clingan came off the bench. Nice to see our bench get meaningful minutes.
The game against Xavier that was the case. Tonight to compete on the boards we needed Clingan. The unexpected hero tonight was JStew. His defense is why he is on the floor instead of Ball. It has to be. He is playing very good defense and taking advantage of his offensive opportunities. I hope to see more of JStew and AK on the floor with Donovan or Samson. Tonight we needed the muscle upfront. Castle has started slowly last two games but he is a beast going to the hoop. So not worried he has the discipline of a senior. So mature for a freshman. We are so well balanced. We have the best backcourt in college basketball. Castle, Newton, Spencer and Diarra. We also have a “Ferrari “ on the bench in Ball. I will say this, I am glad I was not there in person tonight. I kind of lost it when Donovan picked up his third foul in the first minute. I know he feels bad about it but he just has to be more disciplined. I know the coaches have to been in his ear. Stay vertical. I think if he does not pick up that third foul early we would have won by 15-20 points.

Reaction Score
I listened on the radio. Game sounded fun. Back and fourth. Beating a streaking team who just played their way into the tournament is no shame. Coached by Pitino as well.

Reaction Score
We scored 1.40 points per possession. That's blistering.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were close to the Big East tournament record, at least the NBE.
I went through the game logs. This was the best offensive output by a team in the BET since 2018 Nova put up essentially the same efficiency. Then the year before 2017 Nova had a really ridiculous day that was even better.

So a roughly 1 in 50+ offensive explosion.

Reaction Score
give Hurley credit, Castle not ready to play, pull him Diarra plays hard, Clingan not ready for next level yet
Team had much more intensity when Johnson was in. Clingan has a way of flattening the energy ... he just doesn't have an extra drive...

Reaction Score
1. DC had 2 DUMB fouls. And we still dominated.
2. AK’s foul at the end confounded me. Just dumbfounded.
3. Still cannot close out a game without taking years from my life.
4. And still, complaining about a win. Typical refrain this year.
Thats not a domination

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom