Sagarin ratings say BE 5th ACC 6th rated Conference | The Boneyard

Sagarin ratings say BE 5th ACC 6th rated Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This week's Sagarin football ratings say the Big East is 5th rated conference and ACC is 6th rated conference. Here are some other interesting numbers. Syracuse is rated 66 and Pitt is 51. Potential BE newcomers are TCU at 17, Navy at 40, Air Force at 58, and UCF at 65. Basically, the newbies are additive to BE football, while the loss of Syracuse and Pitt is geographically relevant, it's not a football disaster.

Plus, did you see the stands at Pitt and Syracuse yesterday? All of the potential newbies have better fan support than Pitt and Syracuse. We may not have a choice about staying in the BE, but it will still be a relevant football conference if no more schools defect and we add at least 2 of Navy, , and UCF.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well i know everyone has an opinion and nothing any of us say will change anything that's going to happen. having said that...

it seems to me to make the most sense to make the BE as strong as possible. we know that if any future raids occur, it's highly likely the BE will be poached - L'ville, WVU seem the most likely to go next if more raids occur. that would open the door for UCONN and Rutgers to jump as well. can't imagine TCU staying at that point, but who knows. And it's also possible that may not happen for a few years. the BE will probably make Syracuse and Pitt stay for the remaining 2 years but will they add anyone before the other 2 leave?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East will be 3rd or 4th once the teams are better connected in Sagarin. Early in the season, Sagarin incorporates ratings from the prior season to make his models work.

Other leagues raid the Big East because the Big East teams are successful. They don't raid the Sun Belt. If we would stop worrying about the next team to leave and worry more about making the league as good as possible, the rest of it would take care of itself.

Reaction Score
The Big East will be 3rd or 4th once the teams are better connected in Sagarin. Early in the season, Sagarin incorporates ratings from the prior season to make his models work.

Other leagues raid the Big East because the Big East teams are successful. They don't raid the Sun Belt. If we would stop worrying about the next team to leave and worry more about making the league as good as possible, the rest of it would take care of itself.

I do not get this argument

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do not get this argument

Which one? The Sagarin argument is just math and he explains it on his site. 2 weeks from now his rankings will be more accurate.

The other argument is self-evident to anyone who has ever looked for a job. You are more appealing to the next employer if you are successful with a successful company. Going into an interview and telling your prospective employer that you quit your last company because they were all losers is not a winning strategy.

Reaction Score
Which one? The Sagarin argument is just math and he explains it on his site. 2 weeks from now his rankings will be more accurate.

The other argument is self-evident to anyone who has ever looked for a job. You are more appealing to the next employer if you are successful with a successful company. Going into an interview and telling your prospective employer that you quit your last company because they were all losers is not a winning strategy.

Thanks, I get the math. I don't understand how "not worrying about the next team to leave and making the league as good as possible" will make a difference. You are saying we are already good, but getting better somehow makes us less attractive, or are you saying it makes leaving a less desirable option? If the Sun Belt (to use your example) followed your advice, wouldn't they then become targets, not the opposite? The problem with the BE is yes, one of quality, but seems to be more structural in nature, a void in leadership and conflicting agendas among the two factions of members.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Regardless of FB success, the BE, if saved will be a nearly random collection of schools with nothing to bind them. Clearly going to the BE or any BCS conference is a plus for those schools in non BCS conferences. But for those already in the BE the only way to upgrade your profile is to get out.

Put simply, I have zero interest in UConn playing in a conference with a goofy collection of schools like TCU, USF, UCF, SMU or Air Force. If there aren't enough schools in the east to field a FBS conference, then there shouldn't be a BE football conference.

Meanwhile, such an expansion would be lousy for non football sports. Imagine the footprint. It's already absurd that it goes from Tampa to Wisconsin. Why would the BB schools put up with it? They can find quality teams much closer.

Reaction Score
I agree with the premise that there's no longer anything that is binding in the BE. It's the unknown that is perplexing to me. Making a change maybe better, it may be worse. I don't think anyone can say for sure. I guess that's why I'm so glad that we have a "jock" prez like Susan Herbst!

Reaction Score
Zero interest in playing certain schools? What if we were playing number 2 TCU or number 14 USF,...? Would you rather play a 3-5 Syracuse?... Did we have any real history with any BE football schools before 2004?

Currently, UConn has maybe 1 rival, Rutgers, as we have played 28 times over the years. We would like to develop a regional rivalry with BC, but we are not there yet.

Reaction Score
This week's Sagarin football ratings say the Big East is 5th rated conference and ACC is 6th rated conference. Here are some other interesting numbers. Syracuse is rated 66 and Pitt is 51. Potential BE newcomers are TCU at 17, Navy at 40, Air Force at 58, and UCF at 65. Basically, the newbies are additive to BE football, while the loss of Syracuse and Pitt is geographically relevant, it's not a football disaster.

Plus, did you see the stands at Pitt and Syracuse yesterday? All of the potential newbies have better fan support than Pitt and Syracuse. We may not have a choice about staying in the BE, but it will still be a relevant football conference if no more schools defect and we add at least 2 of Navy, , and UCF.
Good post, a 12 member football league could easily work with 2 divisions. North: UConn, Umass, Rutgers, West Virginia, Navy, Villanova and South: Air Force, TCU, USF, UCF, Louisville and Cinn. To be BCS qualified you have to be in the top 6 of all conferences. If these teams perform on the field, it won't be a problem.

The league would have 18 basketball teams, assuming AirForce and Navy are football only. A similar arrangement for basketball would help with travel costs. It could also allow more out of conference games since the schedules would be unbalanced anyway. Thus, UConn could schedule Duke, NC, Kentucky etc.. to strengthen their schedule as desired.

Although I don't like Notre Dame, having them in the league is a strength because of their fan base. Some of the other basketball only schools also command large TV markets that bring value to the league; St. Johns in NYC and Georgetown in DC come to mind.

The most important thing is to not make the same mistake again. The Big East has to make it so painful to leave that nobody will; $25 million exit fee that escalates with inflation. I hope they stick to their guns and make Syracuse and Pitt stay the whole 27 months.

Reaction Score
I think you lost everyone by adding UMass and Villanova as football schools. Never, ever happening!

Reaction Score
I think you lost everyone by adding UMass and Villanova as football schools. Never, ever happening!
I stopped reading once I read UMass and Villanova.

Reaction Score
Saw UMass and Villanova, stopped reading. Posted this message, now leaving thread.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading once I read UMass and Villanova.
Another delusional UConn fan, we were in Umass's shoes just a few years ago. UConn would struggle to beat UMass right now. In a few years it won't be a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom