Safe to Say 1 Player is Returning | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Safe to Say 1 Player is Returning

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s rare that the coach can increase a players IQ it’s normally on the kid. I hope Diarra especially gets it eventually he could be a solid 4 year kid with that motor.
Completely disagree. Helping kids to improve their understanding of the game and their read and reacts is a huge part of coaching. Probably the most fundamental part of coaching.

Reaction Score
Completely disagree. Helping kids to improve their understanding of the game and their read and reacts is a huge part of coaching. Probably the most fundamental part of coaching.

Agree to disagree. The natural aspects of the game come to those well before they step on to the court at 18-20 years old. If you don't have them by then there's only so many things you can be taught. read and reacts a a natural ability, some can be taught I am sure, but very few. if you don't think they were teaching brimah for 4 years you are wrong, and Facey for that matter. As I've said all along recruit smarter kids because it's hard for those with low basketball IQ's the learn the most important details of the game on both ends. Not saying it can't happen or they don't teach anyway, but you need some of that before you get on campus. So for that reason alone Diarra scares me, hoping I'm wrong because he has ability.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. The natural aspects of the game come to those well before they step on to the court at 18-20 years old. If you don't have them by then there's only so many things you can be taught. read and reacts a a natural ability, some can be taught I am sure, but very few. if you don't think they were teaching brimah for 4 years you are wrong, and Facey for that matter. As I've said all along recruit smarter kids because it's hard for those with low basketball IQ's the learn the most important details of the game on both ends. Not saying it can't happen or they don't teach anyway, but you need some of that before you get on campus. So for that reason alone Diarra scares me, hoping I'm wrong because he has ability.
This is Geno's bread and butter. He teaches his teams to read and react rather than just run the play that's called and he does it year after year.

Kid's coming out of HS aren't learning fundamentals. They learn that in college. That's a big reason for the soph jump and huge part of why 4 year players make better decisions that more physically adept freshmen.

Agree to disagree.

(But we can agree that Diarra is very raw.)

Reaction Score
I’d really love reassurance from Jalen.

Sure, but... it's hard to blame him for weighing his options. He's always been an Ollie supporter, and to have this happen right now, I'm sure it's very emotional for him. I'd say it's okay to be a little patient with a young man weighing his entire future that is now very different than it was a week ago.

Reaction Score
I'm with @CL82 on this one. I think a lot of recruits that make it to the D1 level have been able go a good part of their lives succeeding mostly off of their talent.

Obviously top 5* recruits often have the whole package, but many of them have not been playing long enough/coached well enough to know the intricacies of the game that a college coaching staff can teach them.

Look at how many big men we've brought in that were 4 star recruits that weren't able to play a lick of defense at this level because they don't have any awareness of their positioning. It happens all the time. There's are reason a lot of these guys get better in their junior and senior years, and it's not just because they're running faster and jumping higher than they were in high school.

Reaction Score
This is Geno's bread and butter. He teaches his teams to read and react rather than just run the play that's called and he does it year after year.

Kid's coming out of HS aren't learning fundamentals. They learn that in college. That's a big reason for the soph jump and huge part of why 4 year players make better decisions that more physically adept freshmen.

Agree to disagree.

Girls are already very fundamental coming in you can see that, especially the real good ones. They know the game, have natural abilities and smarts then grow into the system which is the toughest part for the girls as geno's system and methods are tough. But they are already prepared, maybe their AAU coaches do a better job teaching rather then just getting the best players and throwing them out there like the mens AAU? Not sure, but it's simple to see and it's not even apples to apples as we know anyway. What is easy to see is some kids just aren't coached very well no matter if they are naturally gifted mentally anyway.To me both Carlton and Whaley get it but both need to improve their strength. For Carlton feet need to get quicker too and Whaley needs to stay on his feet rather than trying to block everything. But both seem to get the are of help etc etc.. We still need some studs on this roster, smart ones.

But I'm good with your opinion, all good. Let's hope your right in Diarra's case because right now he looks like a 6'5" Brimah and he's going to have to get the defensive end a lot better to be a big impact.

Reaction Score

I don’t think raw is the right word for Diarra. I think he’s a very good athlete that just needs the right coach to utilize his strengths. He was a 4* player in high school and should be treated as such. A healthy Diarra is explosive and can block shots. I don’t think we know what he’s capeable of since DO started over him.

Williams is in that raw category but you can tell he’s hungry and wants to get better. The effort is 100% there. Same with Diarra we need a coach to draw up plays for these guys.

Reaction Score
I don’t think raw is the right word for Diarra. I think he’s a very good athlete that just needs the right coach to utilize his strengths. He was a 4* player in high school and should be treated as such. A healthy Diarra is explosive and can block shots. I don’t think we know what he’s capeable of since DO started over him.

Williams is in that raw category but you can tell he’s hungry and wants to get better. The effort is 100% there. Same with Diarra we need a coach to draw up plays for these guys.
Agreed. We need a coach who isn't so rigid in his offense that he can't adjust to the roster instead of just rolling out three guards and letting them play hero ball.

Reaction Score
There's a spectrum. Some kids are hopeless, the best coach in the world won't reach them. Some kids have great instincts and don't need much help. Some kids have room for growth and improve their IQ over time.

Many young point guards have no idea how to run a real offense when they get to college. Most PGs in this program improved their IQ and feel for the game over time. Kemba and Shabazz were both out of control and had poor shot selection early in their careers. They forced things and made bad mistakes. Other guys like Dyson and Sticks barely improved their IQ and feel for the game.

Reaction Score

Retweeted by Diarra too

Obviously interesting that it’s a KO quote, but the wording of the quote itself makes it seem like he’s sticking around, and probably Diarra too

Neither Williams or Diarra would benefit from transferring but I won't blame anyone for leaving.

Reaction Score
Hurley plays through his guards because he has two very good senior guards. Last year his offense was very balanced because he had two senior forwards who were good

Haven't liked the way they've looked offensively in crunch time there's a lot of the same, or as you say "hero ball" I'm afraid. Not that I don't like him but let's not think we're getting a different X and O guy. Hopefully a better motivator and teacher.

Reaction Score
Haven't liked the way they've looked offensively in crunch time there's a lot of the same, or as you say "hero ball" I'm afraid. Not that I don't like him but let's not think we're getting a different X and O guy. Hopefully a better motivator and teacher.
Yeah I don't think he's a great X's and O's guy by any means but his teams play very hard and they win games

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It’s rare that the coach can increase a players IQ it’s normally on the kid. I hope Diarra especially gets it eventually he could be a solid 4 year kid with that motor.
From personal experience I don't think it's that rare, providing a different way to look at schemes, film, & practice can do wonders with a developing mind.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Retweeted by Diarra too

Obviously interesting that it’s a KO quote, but the wording of the quote itself makes it seem like he’s sticking around, and probably Diarra too

Sweet quote KO but ya boys gave up like 18 times this season.

Reaction Score
From personal experience I don't think it's that rare, providing a different way to look at schemes, film, & practice can do wonders with a developing mind.

Ok, we will see. From personal experience I say "rare", should be pretty good at stuff already, naturally or given the coaching you already received. I guess there are those chosen few who don't get coached up when in their teens to 20, but I seem to remember Diarra's coach supposedly being pretty good? If not by now it will be tough for him.

Reaction Score

Retweeted by Diarra too

So it seems like we have the following potentially coming back ...
CV, Sid, Matthews, Diarra, and Williams.

Good news is we won't have to forfeit.
If we can't find a replacement in 9 months, I'm picking that group to be a favorite in Intramurals.
5 more and they can hold a scrimmage

We will be back

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom