Sabrina Ionescu | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Update on Sabrina Ionescu:

She has dropped Oregon State and Cal from her final list and has added Washington to her list.
So now she is deciding between Oregon (where her twin brother has committed to be a walk-on for the basketball team) and Washington.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Update on Sabrina Ionescu:

She has dropped Oregon State and Cal from her final list and has added Washington to her list.
So now she is deciding between Oregon (where her twin brother has committed to be a walk-on for the basketball team) and Washington.

She better hurry up and figure it out. She needs to be arriving there in a couple of weeks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hmmm - I am usually pretty tolerant of decision process and timing for HS kids, but this one just raises some flags for me. It is not about who she is choosing or taking her time, nor what type of person she is. But she just seems from outside to not have any idea of what she wants from her college choice. Distance, coaching, type of school, type of school community, style of play, players already on the team, academic standing. It just all seems to still be in play a month before summer school starts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmmm - I am usually pretty tolerant of decision process and timing for HS kids, but this one just raises some flags for me. It is not about who she is choosing or taking her time, nor what type of person she is. But she just seems from outside to not have any idea of what she wants from her college choice. Distance, coaching, type of school, type of school community, style of play, players already on the team, academic standing. It just all seems to still be in play a month before summer school starts.
I used the word diva-ish to describe Sabrina in an earlier post and received much pushback. This just confirms it for me. I am ok with her taking as long as she wants but not fair IMO to put new school ( Washington) in consideration this late in the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I used the word diva-ish to describe Sabrina in an earlier post and received much pushback. This just confirms it for me. I am ok with her taking as long as she wants but not fair IMO to put new school ( Washington) in consideration this late in the game.
I doubt Washington will mind. ;)

Reaction Score
Her and Kelsey Plum would be a hell of a back court for a year.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

Not fair? How? To whom?

Reaction Score
Assuming these three schools are still top of mind, perhaps she wants to make her mark at them?
- California has vaunted Frosh Center Kristine Anigwe coming back (20.8 ppg), as well as the next two leading scorers, so there's a base to build on.
- At Oregon State, Scott Rueck has built a good program and asst. coach Mandy Close has done good work with guards Jamie Weisner and Sydney Weise, who is coming back, although Weisner and center Ruth Hamblin graduate. Gabby Hanson, who played well when I've seen her, also comes back.
- Oregon, where her brother is planning on walking on, only has the 3rd leading scorer coming back, Maite Cazola, who looks to play the same position as Ionescu.

And, who knows, there may be other things in play, from ideas about other schools to areas of studies. Back to the "who knows what lurks in the minds and hearts of teenagers?" We've got a poster on our ND board who raves about her play and says she's a good kid, to boot. We'll see...

Was Bro given a "walk on" status to temp sis to choose them?? Sounds like a violation--kidding!!
You got that right --who knows whats in the hearts of men??---You know who!! Kid do the funniest things. With someone occupying "her position" are the not like Uconn where positions are the thing you play in the game--KLS--Center, Foward, Guard---Kia--Shooting guard, wing, point

Reaction Score
She better hurry up and figure it out. She needs to be arriving there in a couple of weeks.

Not necessarily. I'm sure those schools would be OK with her arriving at the end of August.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not fair? How? To whom?
Not fair to the coaches that are still in the running. If you are Cal for example and Sabrina has told you she has down selected to OSU, Cal, Oregon your pitch to Sabrina says you should chose Cal over OSU & Oregon for these reasons. You don't know that you are in competition with Washington (same conference) because Sabrina never told you and you don't get another chance to pitch CAL merits vs. Washington.

Reaction Score
Not fair? How? To whom?
Not to pour oil on the fire--but--it could be unfair to herself in not doing the summer school thing (assuming the sign up process takes a bit of enrollment time) then interaction with teammates over the summer makes for some chemistry for the team if she arrives late summer. This of course assumes things of which I know nothing. If she can enroll in late may or late june it would not matter would it??

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I probably gave you some pushback myself, and I will again - I just don't see this as 'I am all about me' and I certainly don't know her nor have every watched either highlight reel, game film, or interview film of her. This strikes me much more as 'I have no clue what is important to me in making this choice'. In other words it is not 'I am all about me' but 'I have no idea who I am'.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I probably gave you some pushback myself, and I will again - I just don't see this as 'I am all about me' and I certainly don't know her nor have every watched either highlight reel, game film, or interview film of her. This strikes me much more as 'I have no clue what is important to me in making this choice'. In other words it is not 'I am all about me' but 'I have no idea who I am'.
I can see that POV. Here is something I forgot to write in the other post. How did Washington get into the mix for Sabrina services as opposed to say Stanford which is closer to her home? If you truly do not know where you want to go and are open to pitches from other school that is one thing but if you selective choose and you reach out then it very much about you and I would tend to disagree with you.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can see that POV. Here is something I forgot to write in the other post. How did Washington get into the mix for Sabrina services as opposed to say Stanford which is closer to her home? If you truly do not know where you want to go and are open to pitches from other school that is one thing but if you selective choose and you reach out then it very much about you and I would tend to disagree with you.
I have absolutely no idea about the following as it relates to her, but ... admissions to Stanford are too high for a large portion of the top 100 basketball recruits. I have wondered about whether this was a reason for the delay - there was a pretty highly ranked recruit a few years ago who kept delaying her choice through a couple of attempts to get accepted at Stanford, her dream school - she did not and ended up somewhere else. But given this continued delay beyond any admissions deadline (and Stanford never having been know to be on her lists) I have since dropped that thought.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting. Oregon already has about 7 new freshman coming in next season.

Reaction Score
Not to pour oil on the fire--but--it could be unfair to herself in not doing the summer school thing (assuming the sign up process takes a bit of enrollment time) then interaction with teammates over the summer makes for some chemistry for the team if she arrives late summer. This of course assumes things of which I know nothing. If she can enroll in late may or late june it would not matter would it??

I agree, with the amount of transfers and unhappiness going around WCBB, I see this as a mature decision for a young woman who is making probably the hardest choice in her young life thus far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have absolutely no idea about the following as it relates to her, but ... admissions to Stanford are too high for a large portion of the top 100 basketball recruits. I have wondered about whether this was a reason for the delay - there was a pretty highly ranked recruit a few years ago who kept delaying her choice through a couple of attempts to get accepted at Stanford, her dream school - she did not and ended up somewhere else. But given this continued delay beyond any admissions deadline (and Stanford never having been know to be on her lists) I have since dropped that thought.
Admissions to Stanford is a great hurdle and I should have said ( academics aside) why not Stanford? Perhaps USC or UCLA would have been better examples.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. I'm sure those schools would be OK with her arriving at the end of August.
Not really, August is acceptable for enrollment but most WCB programs "require" enrollment during a summer session. This serves two purposes NCAA allows for real limited coaching from the staff and summer school allows the players to take course and a lighter academic load during BB season while still reaching graduation timeline requirements.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
True she doesn't necessarily, but she does need to.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting. Oregon already has about 7 new freshman coming in next season.

Yup. And when I followed the tweet posted earlier today, someone also announced the 2017 commitment of a point guard from Spain.

Will be "interesting" to see how long Ionescu goes before making a decision. In the meantime, have not heard anything on the Lindsey Corsaro front after reopening her recruitment after de-committing from Kentucky, as well as Mi-Cole Cayton or Kathleen Doyle who were looking elsewhere after the coaching switch in Nebraska. Might end up being a bit fast and furious coming into the summer school sessions....

Reaction Score
Give her a break, tell us about concrete evidence of her (or her fimily's) Diva-ish behavior. I am not saying she is not. She did not go beyond any deadlines and the commitment of her and the university goes both ways. As long as she is not breaking any rules, bargaining for more privileges, or hosting an ESPN conference to announce her choice of school, I would not call her a diva, being extremely undecisive maybe.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yup. And when I followed the tweet posted earlier today, someone also announced the 2017 commitment of a point guard from Spain.

Will be "interesting" to see how long Ionescu goes before making a decision. In the meantime, have not heard anything on the Lindsey Corsaro front after reopening her recruitment after de-committing from Kentucky, as well as Mi-Cole Cayton or Kathleen Doyle who were looking elsewhere after the coaching switch in Nebraska. Might end up being a bit fast and furious coming into the summer school sessions....

I believe Doyle is down to Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, and Vanderbilt. At least according to this article.

Also interesting, Natalie Romeo, is said to be considering Washington or staying at Nebraska. Romeo's former high school and Ionescu's current high school are a 25 minute drive apart and both played for Cal Stars and Kelly Sopak.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Her drawn out waffling asks questions about other issues. Will her final choice be her final decision? Will she ultimately have second thoughts, especially if the team doesn't meet her expectations? Will she then make a quick sophomore leap to another team? What does this say about her as a player? How decisive will she be when basketball starts blowing real grit in her eyes? Can she chose what kind of player she wants to be? Oregon clearly has a lot of new faces coming next year. Will she feel secure in that kind of logjam? Washington has a more mature team. Wouldn't she need that kind of direction? When her college years are over will she finally be mature enough to live that kind of vagabond life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom