Rutgers Loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Unlike some RU fans. I don't think this is the end of the world. Am I disappointed? We should have never lost to UMass. That being said is that even in our good years we still had bad losses early in the season. The year we went to the F4 we lost to Pepperdine, ODU, and to Duke by 40.

We're 4 games into the season, we're 3-1 and we still have LSU, Georgia to play......I still believe we're going to be a good basketball team. Because almost every RU team gets better with time.

But that's all I'm going to say on the matter, this thread, along with the RU board's meltdown has gave me a headache.

Reaction Score
was she ever that good? I just don't see it from her records vs the talent she has had. Decent coach with decent results.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
was she ever that good? I just don't see it from her records vs the talent she has had. Decent coach with decent results.
Certainly. After the 2007 Final Four, no.

She can't be measured against UConn or Tennessee, RU never had that kind of talent. Under Vivian, with our talent, we should be a consistent sweet 16 or better, which we were from 1998 - 2009 or so except for 1 year; for a 10 year period I analyzed a few years ago, we were among the 10 most successful programs for that period, trailing teams like UConn, Duke, etc.

Over the last few years, and especially the last couple, the question of whether or not the game has passed her by is valid - I don't personally know the answer. Like Coler, I have a headache.

As has been said multiple times, either she will have a successful year and accept a reduced contract OR she will have an unsuccessful year and be, one way or another, separated from Rutgers.

Reaction Score
1st of all, CVIV is still the coach and we must respect that fact. Our opinions matter not, but the new AD will have huge issues with the entire coaching staffs in all sports going into the B10 immediately.......Good luck to all.

Just thinking future stuff......
Maybe, Coach GG will come out of retirement for the right $$$$ and support, maybe, Coach Coale will step out of OU to take the plunge?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I like Cviv in general and her defensive coaching has always been strong, but her offense even when they were contending in the BE and Nationally has always been painful - she had a couple of very creative and highly skilled players that were able to create pretty much on their own (Cappie, Prince) that hid the flaws that have always been there. And in recent years I haven't see the joy from her team and the enjoyment of the sport that you hope flows through every team whether they are great or decent or just pursuing their passion.
I sort of think it is time for a change. And maybe for Cviv to retire.

Reaction Score
I for one always feared playing Rutgers. They were organized and a beast on D. After loosing in the NC and all the hoopla with the radio thing not so much of either! Rutgers has landed great class after great class and been a shadow of their past prowess. Hell they even stole a recruit away from Geno. She has had a great staff and a supportive fan base but continues to not get her team to perform on offense. With the exception of a few incredible players that created their own offense they still struggle to hit 60 points a game??? Just don't get it. I would stop watching if I were a RU wbb fan. Hell I struggle to watch them when they play Uconn! Just ain't fun ever.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Unlike some RU fans. I don't think this is the end of the world. Am I disappointed? We should have never lost to UMass. That being said is that even in our good years we still had bad losses early in the season. The year we went to the F4 we lost to Pepperdine, ODU, and to Duke by 40.

We're 4 games into the season, we're 3-1 and we still have LSU, Georgia to play......I still believe we're going to be a good basketball team. Because almost every RU team gets better with time.
UMass isn't even the same universe as Duke or even the ODU of a few years ago. And Pepperdine was still being coached by Mark Trakh back then. I'm not seeing the comparison in seasons.

That said, I'm sympathetic to you and the other RU fans. As a UConn football fan, I feel your pain in seeing a once-proud program underachieve.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
UMass isn't even the same universe as Duke or even the ODU of a few years ago. And Pepperdine was still being coached by Mark Trakh back then. I'm not seeing the comparison in seasons.

That said, I'm sympathetic to you and the other RU fans. As a UConn football fan, I feel your pain in seeing a once-proud program underachieve.

Well I'd still count those as bad losses in that season. *shrugs*

That said, it's still only the 5th game of the season, and RU teams in the past have gotten better as the season goes by. Was the UMass loss an embarrassment? Heck yeah. But I'm not going to call for CVS's head 4 to 5 games into the season when we're 3-1 and team has shown some real good things we can build on.

Sorry but I'm not going to join in on jumping ship that most of people on RU's board are doing. Not freakin' 5 games into the season. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well I'd still count those as bad losses in that season. *shrugs*

Sorry but I'm not going to join in on jumping ship that most of people on RU's board are doing. Not freakin' 5 games into the season. :rolleyes:
I agree there's no rush. It's reasonable to wait until the end of the season to evaluate the team's performance and CVS's coaching status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom