Rutgers Loss | The Boneyard

Rutgers Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
64-63 to previously 0 and 3 and lightly regarded (and that is highly exaggerated) UMass.
is a major blow to CViv's program and possibly could be one of the final nails in the coffin of her coaching career.

Oregon would beat UMass by 25 any day of the week.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, she's in the last year of her contract. Rutgers may well look for a new coach as they enter the Big10 next year.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, she's in the last year of her contract. Rutgers may well look for a new coach as they enter the Big10 next year.

On Scarlet Nation board they are starting to eat their young. Say good night, CViv.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sooo - to early to say 'Thank goodness next year they move to the Big10 - maybe we can raise our conference strength!':eek:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If C Viv is a goner, would Rutgers take a very serious look at Rutgers alum CD?
My impression is that when Rutgers was busy wooing Stringer out at Iowa, CD was Plan B....
an impression that could be way off.

Reaction Score
64-63 to previously 0 and 3 and lightly regarded (and that is highly exaggerated) UMass.
is a major blow to CViv's program and possibly could be one of the final nails in the coffin of her coaching career.

CViv, the teflon coach........

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At this point I doubt CD goes anywhere. We have this discussion eveytime CViv's demise is speculated and the answers and posts are almost always the same.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Ice: I do agree with you.

If I am the Rutgers AD I would take a serious look at Shea and Marisa as well. Given the overall positive history of the Rutgers
program I would guess they would first go after someone with head coaching experience.

UMass? I used to live in Mass. and still keep an eye on the men's and women's teams. The women
are truly awful.

Reaction Score
loss to umass is not good, but rutgers is very young. no seniors, a frosh and 3 sophs playing many minutes and doing a lot of scoring. laney did not play, and hollivay was coming back off injury. still an awful loss, but i don't think cviv's going anywhere unless this team just doesn't come along as the season progresses. she obviously can still get players in there, and don't know that someone else coming in would have the same success at getting players.

Reaction Score
According to CVIV:

Wasn't Rutgers supposed to be "The Jewel of the East" or something like that?

Wow, what a crappy unpolished jewel they turned out to be. They aren't even a Cubic Zirkonia (sp?)!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I looked at the box score and saw that the "difference" in the game was really 1st half fouls, they had a number more and shot a higher percentage, putting us behind in the game by 5. Truly not a lot of differentiation in stats otherwise, and I saw one article citing fouls as inhibiting our players. Mostly hand checks. Then, in the 2nd half, almost no fouls were called. And we lacked Laney.

Apparently we made a 12 point comeback to lose by 1 point.

Other than that, yes, absent great success for the rest of the season, this would be a "nail" in the coffin. Actually, her contract not being renewed or extended before the season started was a "nail".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
An earlier post caused me to go over to the ScarletNation and read a few threads. True, some of the most stalwart RU fans on. the Board are calling for the end of the CViv era. CViv has always been able to recruit, and she would appear to have gotten a couple of pretty good commits this year. One poster said the attendance at the RAC is now under 1000 and that is a shame. Coming into this , her final contract year without an extension says something. Absent a strong year this may well be CViv's swan song. The trend line is not promising.

Reaction Score
I
I looked at the box score and saw that the "difference" in the game was really 1st half fouls, they had a number more and shot a higher percentage, putting us behind in the game by 5. Truly not a lot of differentiation in stats otherwise, and I saw one article citing fouls as inhibiting our players. Mostly hand checks. Then, in the 2nd half, almost no fouls were called. And we lacked Laney.

Other than that, yes, absent great success for the rest of the season, this would be a "nail" in the coffin. Actually, her contract not being renewed or extended before the season started was a "nail".
I concur with this assessment of the situation, but I believe that CVS will not be back next year whether we have a good season this year or not. I think CD would be considered if she were interested and I don't think the lack of head coaching would hurt her. I expect RU to go after someone like Courtney Banghart though rather than an assistant coach of another program (with CD as the exception).

Reaction Score

This should come as no surprise as the S.S. CViv has been taking on water for quite a while now and RU administration has ignored the SOS signals. Somebody should at least throw the team some floatation devices cuz the heavily armoured Knights apparently can't swim very well!

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I

I concur with this assessment of the situation, but I believe that CVS will not be back next year whether we have a good season this year or not. I think CD would be considered if she were interested and I don't think the lack of head coaching would hurt her. I expect RU to go after someone like Courtney Banghart though rather than an assistant coach of another program (with CD as the exception).
That makes sense. There are a bunch of coaches of mid major programs who have done quite well and I could see any of them being considered. RU is a great job for any HC. It certainly has great history.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
On Scarlet Nation board they are starting to eat their young. Say good night, CViv.

Seems that they've been eating their young (and old - i.e., CViv) so long that they should be pretty well sated by now. I feel bad for our Scarlet friendly posters on this board.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Seems that they've been eating their young (and old - i.e., CViv) so long that they should be pretty well sated by now. I feel bad for our Scarlet friendly posters on this board.
I actually feel bad for Vivian. For myself, I got to watch the train wreck that is Arizona Women's Basketball last night. And we won't be losing our coach, as she just signed a top 25 class, the first one in the history of the school.

Back to Rutgers - the most annoying thing about the RU board is that, while one can argue how appropriate, deserved, well thought out, fiscally prudent, yada yada Viv's contract was, that was then and this is now. You can't criticize her salary NOW that she earned THEN, only what will happen if she is rehired (i.e. at a much lower salary, presumably).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I

Exception my foot - CD is the Associate Head Coach, not an assistant coach.
I doubt that CD is going to go anywhere. She and Geno are the yin and yang of Connecticut Women's basketball.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Ice: I do agree with you.

If I am the Rutgers AD I would take a serious look at Shea and Marisa as well. Given the overall positive history of the Rutgers
program I would guess they would first go after someone with head coaching experience.

UMass? I used to live in Mass. and still keep an eye on the men's and women's teams. The women
are truly awful.

Well, congrats to the UMASS team...young women playing a sport they obviously love.

spacer.gif

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I'm the Rutger's AD, I don't sign Vivian to another contract unless its heavily incentive based. Give her a base salary in the $350,000 - $500,000 range and then she earns bonuses for any wins above 25, B10 Championships, NCAA Tournament wins etc.

My salary range is what most Women's coaches are now receiving at most BCS conference schools that support their Women's BB Program. I chose 25 wins because a team can almost get to 20 wins just by having a weak OOC schedule and win 50% of their conference games.

Reaction Score
Exception my foot - CD is the Associate Head Coach, not an assistant coach.
I doubt that CD is going to go anywhere. She and Geno are the yin and yang of Connecticut Women's basketball.
Sorry I got Chris's title wrong. No slight intended, but I still think RU will go for a Head Coach of a mid-major. I don't think they will hire someone like Shea Ralph. I agree that it would be unlikely that CD would leave UConn at this point.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry I got Chris's title wrong. No slight intended, but I still think RU will go for a Head Coach of a mid-major. I don't think they will hire someone like Shea Ralph. I agree that it would be unlikely that CD would leave UConn at this point.
That could be a huge mistake; Penn State went the assistant route and found a real keeper in Coquese Washington.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have always found it miraculous that CViv is able to recruit outstanding young women for her program, year after year, despite incontrovertable evidence that she no longer has the remotest idea what to do with them once there. I find it literally beyond understanding. She must be king-hell persuasive one-on-one!

Reaction Score

It should never have been that close; it was the University of Mass not some top ten powerhouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom