Rutgers doesn't belong in the B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers doesn't belong in the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's a BC troll.
Figures!Like Cuse who still lives on Jim Brown the Beagles are making a career on 1 Doug Flutie pass!It must be tough on the "old guard" eastern privates since time has passed them by!Congrats to them fighting "Nova" right down to the 4th Qtr for a hard fought victory!.....!BC don't belong in the ACC!!

Reaction Score
Figures!Like Cuse who still lives on Jim Brown the Beagles are making a career on 1 Doug Flutie pass!It must be tough on the "old guard" eastern privates since time has passed them by!Congrats to them fighting "Nova" right down to the 4th Qtr for a hard fought victory!.....!BC don't belong in the ACC!!

BC the cupcake of the East. Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, and Penn State always had them for homecoming. Outside of 1984, their records in the independent days were awful.

Reaction Score
UConn's only chance of getting invited to the B1G is to go on a impressive 3 year winning streak, at least double their fan base, triple their road crowd and make a good statement for acceptance in the AAU. UConn could be located in Times Square and it won't make a damned bit of difference if they can't sell tickets or travel well. That's the ugly truth of it. Connecticut's fan base is small and I believe that hurts their chances more than anything. So.... they need to win a lot of football games and work on improving that fan base. Then and only then will folks consider them for admittance.

Three years of sellouts would mean more than three years of wins as far as the Big Ten is concerned (especially in a small stadium). A loyal fan base is probably the most important factor that they will consider. I don't think the Big Ten believes that UConn can deliver the NY television market. I think that's why they got Rutgers, although I don't think Rutgers will deliver it either.

Reaction Score
BC the cupcake of the East. Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, and Penn State always had them for homecoming. Outside of 1984, their records in the independent days were awful.

If we could give them back we would love to. Swofford made some decent moves in the Conf realignment game but adding BC was a really bad one.

Reaction Score
Three years of sellouts would mean more than three years of wins as far as the Big Ten is concerned (especially in a small stadium). A loyal fan base is probably the most important factor that they will consider. I don't think the Big Ten believes that UConn can deliver the NY television market. I think that's why they got Rutgers, although I don't think Rutgers will deliver it either.

You guys are missing the big picture. TV sets.

Fanbases can be a fleeting thing. Rutgers gave away 50% of its tickets for free. In terms of paying customers, UConn football had more.

Personally, I like a full stadium and would seek a happy medium.

Reaction Score
30,000 fans to a home opener isn't going to impress the Big Ten, the ACC or anyone else for that matter, no matter who you're playing.

Reaction Score
30,000 fans to a home opener isn't going to impress the Big Ten, the ACC or anyone else for that matter, no matter who you're playing.

But 20,000 fans did impress them. Because they added Cuse, Maryland and Pitt.

Reaction Score
I am impressed by empty seats as well. Isn't everyone?

http://newbrunswicktoday.com/articl...-fistfuls-free-football-tickets-sales-dropped

Rutgers jacks up attendance by giving away 40% of their tix.

Pitt has been known as dressing fans up as yellow seats.

Cuse? No.
If people show up whats it matter?I know schools where you can give away tickets and people still won't show!If it works....give some tickets away,its all about perception!No one cares or asks ...how'd they get the fannies in the seats?

Reaction Score
If people show up whats it matter?I know schools where you can give away tickets and people still won't show!If it works....give some tickets away,its all about perception!No one cares or asks ...how'd they get the fannies in the seats?

Because when you start bleeding revenue, your whole program gets desperate. It's also not a similar comparison, as often happens in these discussions. For instance, you look at athletic revenues and Rutgers is at $60m, but half of that comes from the school and student fees.

I agree with you by the way. Make it cheap, pack the stadium. The problem is that these schools are going to bleed red by 10s of millions to keep up appearances.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts:

I think it's good for UConn that Rutgers is in the B1G, it increases the chances that UConn will get future consideration for a B1G invite. If the next closest B1G team is Penn St, I think UConn would be too much of an outlier to have a shot.

This is a UConn message board, it is perfectly appropriate for UConn fans to vent about other schools here. Fans of other schools should expect that their school may come under fire and be prepared to let stuff go.

JMHO.
Agreed. But stupid comments like the op need to be scrutinized.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But stupid comments like the op need to be scrutinized.
Marty Jackson,I enjoy your posts as there always level-headed! But the trouble is the OP is a BC troll trying to use the BY forum as if he's on his own board and his sole purpose is to stir animosity between RU and UConn fanbase's then sits back and laughs at those who bite!What purpose does this thread serve?RU is in the B1G and his opinion behind the curtain means nada!

Reaction Score
The only consolidation UConn can take away from last week is that UConn and 2 other FBS teams lost to highly ranked FCS teams last week (ND State #1, E Washington #3, and Towson #12).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ating-fbs-teams-happy-where-they-are/2759449/

South Florida, which was the other FBS team to lose, looked worse losing to McNeese State (unranked last week, now #20) 53 to 21.

The two biggest issues with this loss is that 1) the team looked to be unprepared and flat against a good; but predicable team and 2) the timing is horrible with conference realignment hanging over everyone’s head.

Overall, I would still rank UConn’s loss to New Haven 14 to 13 in 1992 as a bigger upset (I was at that game); but, the Towson loss is more painful due to its potential impact.

Reaction Score
The only consolidation UConn can take away from last week is that UConn and 2 other FBS teams lost to highly ranked FCS teams last week (ND State #1, E Washington #3, and Towson #12).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ating-fbs-teams-happy-where-they-are/2759449/

South Florida, which was the other FBS team to lose, looked worse losing to McNeese State (unranked last week, now #20) 53 to 21.

The two biggest issues with this loss is that 1) the team looked to be unprepared and flat against a good; but predicable team and 2) the timing is horrible with conference realignment hanging over everyone’s head.

Overall, I would still rank UConn’s loss to New Haven 14 to 13 in 1992 as a bigger upset (I was at that game); but, the Towson loss is more painful due to its potential impact.
I know the L looks bad right now but no one will remember in a week or two if we can straighten the ship and eventually become bowl eligible this year!Towson is a good team and even SEC teams fall prey to FCS teams now and then!UConn's market and overall athletic and academic excellence will insure your guys move soon into an appropriate conference(B1G/ACC)!

Reaction Score
I am impressed by empty seats as well. Isn't everyone?

http://newbrunswicktoday.com/articl...-fistfuls-free-football-tickets-sales-dropped

Rutgers jacks up attendance by giving away 40% of their tix.

Pitt has been known as dressing fans up as yellow seats.

Cuse? No.

All attendance figures can be altered; but, I believe that % filled is a more telling number…

· Pitt 64% (41,494/65000)

· Cuse 77% (37,953/49,262)

· RU 94% (49,188/52,454)

· UConn 87% (34,672/40,000)

Pitt’s issue is that they play in a pro stadium and 65K is simply too larger. That said, their overall attendance is not that good, they should be at 50K plus with their ‘history.’

Syracuse has the advantage of a market that is exclusively Syracuse and throw a dome in to help out in upstate NY’s winters, and it’s a good fit. 50K outside of the big boys (Alabama, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan ND, Penn State, etc.) is a good size football stadium.

Rutgers does look high, especially with their relatively weak home schedule in 2012 (Howard, USF, Kent State, Army versus 1 marquee game against Louisville and two local rivals in Syracuse and UConn). I mean, they list attendance for Louisville at 52K, which I would expect; but, they list attendance versus Howard at 50K, which I would not expect. Heck, they list the Army game at 43K, which was 9 days after Sandy and most people could not even get out of their town, never mind drive to Piscataway. That said, RU benefits, as stated elsewhere, from being AAU, being less than 50 miles from NYC, and in the middle of one of the top 10 football recruiting states.

Reaction Score
All attendance figures can be altered; but, I believe that % filled is a more telling number…

· RU 94% (49,188/52,454)

Pitt’s issue is that they play in a pro stadium and 65K is simply too larger. That said, their overall attendance is not that good, they should be at 50K plus with their ‘history.’

Syracuse has the advantage of a market that is exclusively Syracuse and throw a dome in to help out in upstate NY’s winters, and it’s a good fit. 50K outside of the big boys (Alabama, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan ND, Penn State, etc.) is a good size football stadium.

Rutgers does look high, especially with their relatively weak home schedule in 2012 (Howard, USF, Kent State, Army versus 1 marquee game against Louisville and two local rivals in Syracuse and UConn). I mean, they list attendance for Louisville at 52K, which I would expect; but, they list attendance versus Howard at 50K, which I would not expect. Heck, they list the Army game at 43K, which was 9 days after Sandy and most people could not even get out of their town, never mind drive to Piscataway. That said, RU benefits, as stated elsewhere, from being AAU, being less than 50 miles from NYC, and in the middle of one of the top 10 football recruiting states.
There were 50G(or close) at the Howard game(I was there) as it was noted that SU/USC opened at Metlife the same day/time in front of 39G in the NY press the next day!@remember...it was the season opener and eagerly anticipated KF 1st game and RU had quite a run(schedule or not)!

Reaction Score

· RU 94% (49,188/52,454)

With 2012 being a lame duck year for both Pitt and Cuse, and partially a lame duck year for Rutgers and Uconn as well, I would not have expected the numbers to be very good. I personally knew many people that did not renew season tickets for last year at Pitt because WVU was no longer on the schedule and was replaced with Gardner-Webb. Notre Dame and Cuse were also road games for Pitt, leaving only VT, Ville, and Rutgers as worthy home opponents. With that schedule, I would consider selling 41000+ tickets to be a success.

Looking at 2013 numbers, Pitt has only a couple thousand remaining seats left to sell for individual games. Attendance at Monday's game was at 65,500. I know Pitt has had issues with attendance in the past but with PSU, Notre Dame, Miami, and ACC schedule on future schedules Pitt will have no problems averaging attendance of 50,000+.

Reaction Score

· RU 94% (49,188/52,454)

I believe percentage is a telling number, but for conference expansion stadium size and total attendance are likely more important. Schools from the B1G and ACC travel well. I was at the game on Monday, and I would say that FSU travels as well as anyone has to Pittsburgh except Notre Dame. Not selling out a stadium of 60,000+ is not as bad as limiting your maximum crowd to 40,000, which is a big reason why I see expanding the Rent to be very important. Penn State did not sell out last year (which is a telling number as I said before), but no one is saying they are less of a program than a small school that did sell out.

Reaction Score
Marty Jackson,I enjoy your posts as there always level-headed! But the trouble is the OP is a BC troll trying to use the BY forum as if he's on his own board and his sole purpose is to stir animosity between RU and UConn fanbase's then sits back and laughs at those who bite!What purpose does this thread serve?RU is in the B1G and his opinion behind the curtain means nada!
there is an 'ignore' option.

only a troll could make that post after uconn losses to Towson and the entire board is calling for PP's head while the other half contemplate uconn's future in 'Big-Time' football.

Understand people are upset that Rutgers has gotten the winning lottery ticket while Uconn has been left holding a life vest on the Titanic.

Reaction Score
I believe percentage is a telling number, but for conference expansion stadium size and total attendance are likely more important. Schools from the B1G and ACC travel well. I was at the game on Monday, and I would say that FSU travels as well as anyone has to Pittsburgh except Notre Dame. Not selling out a stadium of 60,000+ is not as bad as limiting your maximum crowd to 40,000, which is a big reason why I see expanding the Rent to be very important. Penn State did not sell out last year (which is a telling number as I said before), but no one is saying they are less of a program than a small school that did sell out.

I can see your point. My concern though is how a college is perceived on TV with 1/3 of a 65K stadium empty. Afterall TV drives the damn bus.
Overall, I believe that UConn should be OK with a 50K/55K stadium, large enough for our BIG/ACC conference mates (hopefully); but, not overwhelming when we have play a chump FCS game early on (and hopefully win next time).

PS - Not all ACC teams travel well, just look at BC.

Reaction Score
TV doesn't actually "drive the bus" in terms of revenue received by a program.

Of say, FSU's, $76 million athletic budget last year...$17 million came from TV contracts. The rest of the revenue is highly driven by game attendance.

Putting an average of 75,000 in the seats for 7 games....is 525,000 paid seats (plus booster fees to obtain)...add in FSU owned concession income, suite rentals, etc.....and game generated revenue far outweighs TV revenue.

There is a reason that programs like Bama, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, that seat 100,000 per home game, have huge athletic revenues.

Reaction Score
The prevalence of HD TV's and access to nearly 500 games a year has cut into live attendance. Declining ticket sales is a growing trend even in the SEC.

Rather than spend several days traveling (most team's fans may not be in as compact an area as UConn's), paying inflated prices and two night minimums at hotels, fans are opting to kick back in front of the 60 inch with a beer and pizza and a bathroom a few feet away.

Programs are moving to add more "value" to the fan experience to energize ticket sales. Jumbotrons, half time entertainment, firworks, "Downtown Getdown" parties the night before the game, whatever it takes...

Reaction Score
there is an 'ignore' option.

only a troll could make that post after uconn losses to Towson and the entire board is calling for PP's head while the other half contemplate uconn's future in 'Big-Time' football.

Understand people are upset that Rutgers has gotten the winning lottery ticket while Uconn has been left holding a life vest on the Titanic.
I hope you understand their are many fan's (RU) and neighbors that understand UConn's situation and it don't sit well with them either if they have any kind of sense of fair play!I remember thinking UConn was a lock to the ACC and wondering what a helpless giant I would have felt like if RU was left holding the "bag"?It wasn't a pleasant thought and I said to myself I would never denigrate or look down on (like certain other fanbases do) a worthy rival for selfish self advantage!Your day will be here soon but its never soon enough for us fans!Theres absolutely no way this situation goes on much longer in CR!I wish I never heard the word CR....its ruining CFB and BB!!

Reaction Score
I can see your point. My concern though is how a college is perceived on TV with 1/3 of a 65K stadium empty. Afterall TV drives the damn bus.
Overall, I believe that UConn should be OK with a 50K/55K stadium, large enough for our BIG/ACC conference mates (hopefully); but, not overwhelming when we have play a chump FCS game early on (and hopefully win next time).

PS - Not all ACC teams travel well, just look at BC.

I agree the perception looks bad on TV and in person when you can see 40,000 bright yellow seats at Heinz Field, but not all of those empty seats are unsold tickets. I attend many of the Steeler games as well, and you will see thousands of empty yellow seats for a sold out playoff game, because the standing room on the rotundas and near the endzones provides a much better view than the upper deck. This is true of many pro stadiums that would prefer you stand with a beer in your hand near some railing, as opposed to sitting in your seat. Traditional bowl or sideline style stadiums that do not have thousands and thousands of standing areas always look more full because people remain in their seats.

I think a stadium of 50/55k would be reasonable for Uconn if you are only looking to expand the Rent. I think the 65k stadium Pitt plays in is just too big for most games on the schedule, as I much prefered when Pitt played at Pitt Stadium (40k) and only played PSU, WVU, and ND at Three River Stadium (60k+). But if you only are going to have one stadium, then larger is better for the few big games you have each year. Uconn's football time in the Big East did not allow it to show its stadium filling potential. With Uconn in the ACC or B1G having BC/Cuse or Rutgers/PSU as rivals and home games against the likes of Clemson/FSU/UNC or Mich,OSU/etc, the 50/55k stadium you proposed would easily sell out for many games. Although, if Uconn football (including the opponents fan base) can capture shares of the NYC market, you may find that a 65/70k seat stadium only selling out 2/3 games a year is desirable.

As for worrying about stadium attendance for FCS opponents, well those are only on local TV so it really doesn't matter. The games worthy of real national TV (ABC, CBS, ESPN) in national time slots (Saturdays at 3:30 or 8) that are actually being watched by most of the nation will easily sell out a larger stadium and create a better atmosphere for the game and on TV.

And I won't knock BC for not traveling to ACC games, as they would have a 1000 mile commute to attend any ACC games prior to this season. I suspect they would travel just fine to see Cuse and Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom